1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Comes on -- Camry

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 27, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lately, I have been driving our 5-speed manual trans 4-cylinder 2003 Camry, because it has been cold and icy and it has snow tires and I have some issues that sort of preclude me getting stuck out in the elements for the next few months.

So, on an occasional occasion, I drive down our very steep drive, about 1,000 yards out to the actual "road" which is at about 300 feet sea level (house is about at 850 feet sea level). If I put the car in neutral, it can be a real wild ride.

So, car is pretty cold. I stop the car on occasion, not all the time, to merge on the actual county road -- which as I said is about a 1,000 yards from the departure point (a little over a half mile).

If I stop (technically required, but I am an outlaw) the check engine light will come on and then eventually goes off after about 24 hours and stays off until I do it again.

I have techstream and I could check the code, but the car runs fine, it is an occasional thing and it goes away until I do the whole cold start, downhill stop.

I assume that it is some sort of "too-rich" fuel mix that upsets the car when I do this.

Just curious. Not really any other issue. And, if I got off my lazy nice person, I could haul out the old laptop and hook up techstream and see what code is popping up.

But, why do it the easy way. Plus, somehow, I managed to get TechStream into an evaluation mode, which only gives me so many uses of the program before it freezes into a brick and I am not going to waste any of those uses on this.

Any thoughts?

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the obvious. Is the oil level OK or is taking a tissue out to check too much work? ;):oops:

RCO likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course it is too much work to take out a tissue, plus they dissolve quickly. I only use paper towels I steal from the gas stations -- the thick blue ones you use for the windshield.

Plus, this Camry does use about a quart every two months, so I or my insignificant other check the oil each week -- sometimes more than once a week. Right now it is at 3/4's full. -- well -- as of 20 minutes ago.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So the light comes on while in Neutral & stopping? Is the brake fluid level OK? I am wondering if it is something brake related. :eek:
    Always like to check the easy stuff.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. brakes. I mostly open the driver's door and drag my foot, but I do remember checking the PS fluid/wiper fluid/clutch/brake fluids on Sunday.

Pretty good about checking fluids, air pressure and filters on all the cars. I even occasionally check the AC sight glass to see if I spot any bubbles.

Still seem to think it might be fuel mix from the cold start and quick stop at idle. Not too worried --

AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT DO ANY REAL DAMAGE. Just thought it might be a semi-common thing. But, then again, how many people live on top a hill in a rain forest....

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Laptop time I guess. Sorry.
    Put it in your lunchbox so you do not forget it.;)

Raytheeagle and cyberpriusII like this.
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    don't get me wrong. No criticism here.....just brings to mind one of my father's rants of about 15 years ago.

A friend was having trouble with his car (I think it was a Camry!!). He asked my dad what the problem was. Dad told him the fuel pump needed to be replaced.

Well, friend took it to the Toyota dealer. Dealer could not duplicate, and the service writer remarked that it would be tough to find because the car did not have a computer (it was a "pre-computer" Camry).

My dad shook his head and told his friend the mechanics were idiots, it was clearly the fuel pump. Friend lived with it for a few months, it got worse and worse....guess what it was....fuel pump.

Anyway, yes, the codes are nice, but sometimes even I think about the days that we did not rely on computers for everything from keeping trains going the correct speed around curves to diagnosing car troubles to even performing surgery.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But aren’t you just asking the car where it hurts?

No computer for our tractor. Carburetor and points. It also has a hole for a crank to start Farmalls never die easily.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    loose gas cap? i know, usually on all the time. worth a check anyway.

AzWxGuy likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A Prius Prime would be a nice fix.

Bob Wilson

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Check engine light is for the engine and emissions.

Something with the fuel mixture is a fair guess, but the light could also point to the gas cap, EGR, exhaust gas differential pressure, oxygen sensors, etc.

Many auto parts stores will pull the codes for free, and Google could decode them, instead of using the lap top.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    From the old school mechanics, I'd say you have low oil level and with an idling engine on the freewheel downhill fun-run, gravity is sluicing the oil to the front of the sump giving a temporary low/empty oil warning detected. Add oil, problem solved! (y)

#12 RCO, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think that is a separate warning light, and she checks the fluids regularly. Though oil sloshing to where it shouldn't be could trigger the CEL.

14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OP says the car is 3/4 full of oil. And, says it happens when cold. I would bet it does not happen when hot.

In the "olden" days, with a carburetor, I could really see it being fuel mix. I am not much of a hand with fuel injection, but tend to think her original thought is right and that it is nothing to worry about.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Likely nothing to worry about, but if pulling the code isn't a hassle, then better to know for sure.

16. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob you wire me the cash and I will GET ONE!

Better yet, write a check!
    kris

frodoz737, RCO and Dxta like this.
  17. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    My guess is downstream O2 sensor detecting a too rich condition. Might also be an indication of worn injectors. I liked bisco asking about the gas cap because a bad O-ring there will set the CEL, which will then stay on until corrected. Surprised he didn't ask how many miles on her, which might support a worn injector enrichment problem. Run a couple of tanks with Heet or your favorite gas dryer (which will clean the injectors and other exposed devices) and see if it doesn't correct the situation.

RCO likes this.
  18. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Y
    Y not post the fuel trim info here?

RCO likes this.
  19. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If there are anything like low fluid level or so,the brake indicator light would come on.

20. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you've got a generic scantool, have it handy, so you could scan for codes, immediately the light comes on