1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light (Battery Failure?)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by grant ohanian, Jul 8, 2020.

1. grant ohanian

grant ohanian New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys!

I've owned my little 2002 Prius for about 6 months now and it's been great. I've driven it back and forth between LA and Vegas 3 times now, and it's been running fine. Today, as I was going to a Doctor's Appt, I pulled into the parking spot and my car's check engine light and red triangle came on! After the appointment, I drove it home, but halfway through, my vehicle lost power and the engine shut off. My windows started slowing down, the screen started flashing white, and the lights on the dash kept fading dark and then brightening back up. I suspected that the 12v battery was bad, as RAV4 EV would trigger the Check EV light if the 12v went bad, but that didn't clear any codes. The Hybrid Battery seemed okay and is holding a charge, but I haven't done any testing on it. Do y'all think I should clear the codes and see if that solves the issue, or do you guys think the battery pack is bad?

Might I add, the 12v battery was toast when AAA tested it, but when the new battery was tested, we saw that the Hybrid System was keeping the 12v battery charged. What do we think?

Grant Ohanian

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm guessing you left out a part of the story? The thing died on your way home from the Dr ... [and you called AAA and someone came and tested the 12V and found it bad and then the 12V got replaced] ... but you still have the warning lights?

So, if that's the case, yes. By all means clear the codes and see what happens - although they likely got cleared anyway with 12V replacement. So verify that and then the next thing is going to be to know what specific error codes the computer is putting out. You apparently know something of the Rav4 - do you know of the "techstream" software? (search here if not)

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nothing unusual about that at all.
    Once the battery is "worn out" the charging system won't be able to charge it anymore.
    You should be good to go........IF the other codes don't come back.