1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light, Break light, no A/C. Shop can't fix it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gringostar, Nov 14, 2020.

1. gringostar

gringostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Prius with 204K miles and all of a sudden, the check engine light goes on, the brake light goes on and I lose all of my A/C. I brought it to a shop near my home. They said they could diagnose and fix it. They gave up. Told me to come get the car. It was running perfectly. Any ideas what's wrong with it?

Also, I installed a new aftermarket car stereo that said I had to hard wire a CAPACITOR into the car stereo or my A/C would not work. I followed the instructions. Soldered it on. That was two months ago. Could that be it?

Thank you!!!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok that stereo install infers a very high output subwoofer system that requires a supercap. Hope you have the amp auto on circuit wired up correctly or it will kill the 12 volt battery. That high powered stereo will not help.

The losing my ac may be the hybrid battery has failed. A failing hybrid battery will kill the ac.
    If it throws a red triangle you may also see a red car icon in the multi function display upper left corner. The MFD is the screen above the radio.

At the least all those lights on the dash have codes that can be harvested via the OBD port on the car using a hybrid capable scanner.

3. gringostar

gringostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car stereo was just a small car stereo. Nothing fancy. No external amp, etc. The capacitor was a teeny tiny thing. I installed it no problem. The teeny tine capacitor came with the car stereo. No amp. No sub woofer. Just a normal run of the mill car stereo.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Out of curiosity, what circuit was the small capacitor soldered into?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like @edthefox5 kindly mentioned above, you need to harvest the stored OBD2 codes (DTCs).

It sounds like a failed inverter coolant pump (P0A93), have you checked to see if the inverter coolant pump is actually functioning?

How may miles has it been since the inverter coolant pump was the last replaced?

If unknown, check the dealer maintenance history by entering the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account

On a side note, it might to time to shop around for a new shop or mechanic, let us know if you need recommendations.

JC91006 likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Or do you mean a resistor (68Ω, I believe)?