1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light came on in the rain.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Wuvo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Wuvo

Wuvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

I picked up a 2015 Prius with approximately 53,000 miles on it. Will post more details (and maybe some sort of intro in another thread...)

I was driving home from work yesterday - IN THE RAIN - in the check engine light came on. The light remained on today. I plan on getting the codes this evening and should know more then... However, searching doesn't reveal this to be a common trend.

So, prior to getting the codes, does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? (I imagine some sensor got wet and angry...)

Thanks!

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not much use speculating, get the codes and update this thread.

It could be anything, like a loose gas cap.

Till then, welcome to PriusChat. :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

jerrymildred and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your gas cap, make sure it's on correctly

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    goto auto parts store to read code

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If they cannot read a code, you may need the dealer to read it. Auto parts store readers cannot detect some Prius-specific codes.

6. Wuvo

Wuvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, man, I didn't think I actually posted this thread before getting the codes, but I had a "first message" award waiting.

It was an O2 sensor, probably just got wet. I reset the code and the light has stayed off. I'll wait to see what happens during the next rain.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should have NOT cleared the code, if it was truly the O2 sensor.

O2 sensor(s) are usu considered to be emission components, and are usu covered by the longer Emission Warranty. Your State might be 8yr/100K mile; look at your Warranty Manual to verify.

Also, anything other than miniVCI w/Techstream software will NOT READ ALL the Prius codes; this is what the Toyota delaers use. Their are too many instances of junk OBD2 readers reporting innacurate codes, non-existant codes, and no codes despite warning lights being displayed.

It costs very little to get miniVCI w/ Techstream; $20-$30 @ Amazon of crapBay (eBay). Best paired to an obsolete Windows 32bit laptop (XP/7), for ease of use and malware concerns. The fee to have a dealer read the codes varies on location and dealer; expect to pay minimum of $100.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It only costs very little is you are unconcerned about a legal software license.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are using the hacked Techstream software, we are in the same boat; and the pot calls the kettle black.

If you are not, then you are a BETTER person, then me and the many others who are.

If Toyota would make the software more affordable, say upto $400/version, then I would buy the genuine, or maybe even like the cirrent Adobe and Microsoft subscription pricing model.

10. Wuvo

Wuvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleared the code because it was likely brought on by the rain and wanted to see if it would illuminate again after driving.

Fairly certain a standard OBD-II scanner will easily and accurately detect most common errors, specifically one of the oxygen sensors on the Prius. I would make the bold assumption a standard OBD-II scanner is ill equipped for the HSD-centric error codes, but more than apt at most "common" errors. OBD-II is a standard only, but O2 sensors are standard equipment, eh?

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That can feel good, but might be leading you into a misdiagnosis. Starting with the rain: I wouldn't assume rain tripped something.

12. Wuvo

Wuvo New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're going to go in circles, I think. :D :D (The assumption is about OBD-II standards, though, not the rain.)

I'm 100% confident the CEL came on in the rain. (Correlation =/= causation, though...) I'm *fairly* confident water brought on the CEL by possibly interrupting the loop in some manner we're probably familiar with; short/open, out of tolerance down/upstream variance... etc. I'm also relatively sure the O2 sensors on the Prius are all wire-vented to the atmosphere, which allows for a remote - albeit possible - chance water can enter the sensor interface.

I could be wrong - I certainly don't want to come off as a know it all - but these subjects are well with in the arena of my professional expertise, and while the Prius is unique in some ways, the O2 sensor here is relegated to standard duties not unlike "normal" vehicles, which gives me a pretty high confidence in the OBD-II results.

Having said that, I'm probably going to be wrong. :) (I also did not think I actually posted this topic...)

13. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You married, cause you sound well trained:whistle:.

14. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Too funny.

paprius4030 and Raytheeagle like this.