1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

check engine light: codes p1116 and p1121

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kevin Lester, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Kevin Lester

Kevin Lester Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks.

I've got our beloved 2005 Prius giving us the dreaded CEL with these two codes: p1116 and p1121.

Had the guy at Autozone give me the codes for free, and after googling around I see that p1116 is about the coolant temp sensor, and p1121 is for the coolant flow control valve.

Anyone know what my next step should be? Paying full price just to get the valve replaced would seriously injure our Dave Ramsey emergency fund (about $400, right?). I say a thread on here where a nice fellow, stomper88, gave a step by step guide for changing the valve (cutting cost way down). What about the sensor? Should I change one and see if the problem goes away, or do you think I'll need to do both? D I need to take it in to get the problem narrowed down first?

I'd appreciate any help someone can offer.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    These often arise if the ICE coolant is low. The coolant acts as a lubricant for the coolant flow control valve. I added coolant after the dealer failed to fully bleed the air out of the system and both problems went away in my 2004 Prius.

Good luck,

JeffD

chronon and prius2serve like this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If engine coolant level was not the issue, and since you are willing to DIY, I suggest you replace the valve first, since that is a known problem area. I also suggest you find my post about how to replace engine coolant since it is not easy to get air out of the engine coolant loop.

[email protected] likes this.
  4. Kevin Lester

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Added coolant and after 2 days of driving the light is out. Yay. Thanks friends - here's to hoping that was the only issue.

5. Kevin Lester

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, the check engine light is back on.

I took the car into the dealership to get the oil changed and they said I am leaking coolant, and therefore need to get the water pump replaced. What are the odds that it's really the pump, and not the control valve? Would they have checked for that? They wanted way too much $ to do the replacement so I have an appointment at another mechanic tomorrow to do the water pump. What should I say - should I ask him to make sure it's not the valve or something?

I also have to have him figure out why my A/C isn't cold, which as far as I can tell means recharging it, and then checking for leaks. Yay.

6. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

chronon likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is what I would say: "Show me where the engine coolant leak is coming from."

Alternatively, you can just open the hood and look at the engine coolant pump pulley. If you see pinkish deposits on the interior of the pulley, that is a good sign that the coolant pump bearing is leaking fluid. Since the fluid is dropping that fast, the leak should be very obvious.

8. Kevin Lester

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See, this is what's odd - I checked the fluid just two days ago, and it was still full from when I filled it back in March. Maybe I don't have leak at all and the dealer just pulled the check engine codes without actually checking it?

9. Landon Lane

Landon Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem. I just bought a 2007 prius from a dealership and the CEL light went on... i took it to an autoparts store and the codes were p1116 and p1121. I really dont feel like paying 500 to replace the coolant valve... any suggestions on how to approach this?

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Has the ICE Coolant been drained and refilled recently? If the coolant loop wasn't purged of trapped air, the Coolant Valve can get stuck as the coolant acts as a lubricant. Check your coolant level now that you have driven a while. If it is low, add some Toyota type SSL coolant clear the codes and see if they return. Mine didn't and that was three years ago.

JeffD

11. Landon Lane

Landon Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    okay, i'll try that, thanks