1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light on 3 times..only 9 days old

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by peterooi, Jun 1, 2006.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Water in fuel tanks, both in cars and underground at service stations et cetera, was fairly common. It usually caused no trouble because water is heavier than gasoline and they don't dissolve each other, so the water stayed at the bottom of the tank. However E10 (gasoline with 10% ethanol) does dissolve water, and so with the recent change in the US any water in those tanks got picked up and sent into engines, possibly causing temporary problems. This should have largely passed as all the water should be gone by now.

2. Leslie

Leslie New Member

Thanks Richard. Added some gas dryer and no problems so far. We'll see. Leslie

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That odd. I have not had any with the Coolant System problems. Strange to have so many here with 06's and the light on early. Like galaxee said,if there is enough problems,a TSB maybe in the future. Only time will tell if this is a problem or just a small few, :unsure: .

4. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoreMiles @ Jun 1 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]264422[/snapback]</div>
    This is my first post. We just picked up my 2006 Prius last Friday, 7/14/06. Monday, 7/17/06, the check engine light came on after driving it for 130 miles, two of those days were in 95+ degree weather. Brought it in and was told the code indicated "restricted coolant flow". They kept the car (I brought it in ~3:45PM, their service closes at 4PM, I was informed) and provided a loaner ('07 Camry SE - no hybrid in their fleet cars). They traced the problem to a valve and ordered it, and I was supposed to pick up the car today. I called, and was informed that the part number on the valve was incorrect, since the replacement valve did not fit (they're saying the malfunctioning valve is incorrectly labeled/numbered, not that they ordered the wrong part). The part I need is "nationally backordered", but Service told me they might be able to get one overnighted if there's one in California, 2 days if it's coming from Japan. Regardless, I'll be in possession of my car for less time than my service department since picking it up, if this solves the problem. I searched this website to get to this thread to see if anyone else experienced this. I'll post a follow up when I get it back.

P.S. This is a great site, I've been lurking and reading since before my Prius came in. :)

P.P.S. It's a great car, at least from what I could tell from my 3 days with it. Very, very cool B) (engineer in a previous life, gadget guy forever, I'm afraid), and my 9 and 13 year old think so, too. I'm a Realtor now and the amount of driving I was doing really bothered (and yes, cost) me.

5. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jun 3 2006, 12:34 AM) [snapback]265085[/snapback]</div>
    I have the VAG-COM for my Audi A8 and it is awesome. I can re-code my tranny for "european" shift points (think: sporty), change the way my key lock/unlock works, etc. It is a great tool and I highly recommend it.

6. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Is there a way for us to check the diagnostic codes ourselves? Just curious - when I had my Neon I was able to get the car to give me the codes, and then we just looked them up online to see what they were. My husband still does this with his Neon.

7. c4

c4 Active Member

A Prius Miniscanner will read the codes (code reading/clearing works on all models, but monitoring of hybrid parameters only works for the Classic Prius). It appears that the CANview with OBD-II module will also read and reset codes (CANview code reading/reset should work for all models up to 2005, but in this case, the engine monitoring only works for HSD Prii, but the MFD interface portion does work with the Classic touch screen (the opposite sex connector is needed to adapt to the Classic MFD)).

You can also buy a code reader from the auto parts store, but make sure it can read the ISO9141 format of OBD-II. (OBD-II just defines the physical connector where you plug in, there are actually at 4 different protocols or communications formats used on this connector: VPW, PWM, ISO9141 and CAN. The first two are used by North American manufacturers (GM, Chrysler, etc), ISO9141 was used by Japanese and European, and CAN is the new standard which most new vehicles now use).

Note that all of the devices mentioned will only read the main codes, none of them can currently read the subcodes and the freeze-frame data that the ECU stores; to do this, you need the Toyota THHT tool.

8. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This seems to be an ongoing issue in the 2006 models. I just picked mine up and I don't think that I have had this issue come up yet (250 miles and counting) but I did have something like a big RED Exclaimted Triangle show up with a warning about pressing the "P" (park) button prior to shutoff to help preserve battery. I could have sworn that I have been good at using the "P" but who knows. I just noticed that the battery was at the lowest level that it has ever been, but not yet in the read. *crossing my fingers on the coolant problem*

9. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c4 @ Jul 20 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]289334[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, no thanks to buying special readers. On my previous car, I just had to turn the key 3 times (not all the way, similar to the ACC mode in the Prius) in a row. The Check Engine light would flash a certain number of times - that was the first digit of the code, pause, and then flash again for the second digit. Then I could figure out if it was something that needed to be taken care of right away or not.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Updating from my previous post in this thread...
    Well, I just picked my Prius up from service, so they've officially had my car longer than I've had it (me=3 days, them=4 days). :angry:
    According to the receipt, it was a code P1121, which I was informed is the code for "restricted coolant flow". They replaced the water bypass valve (part #16670-21010), since the OEM part was found to be "sticking".
    I am cautiously happy....

11. peterooi

peterooi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Jul 21 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]290008[/snapback]</div>

Zencruiser.... this should fix your problem. I have put in 4500 miles since they replaced the part with no issues. Happy driving!

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MoreMiles @ Jul 22 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]290571[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, it's reassuring to hear it may just be a one-time anomoly. :)

13. tobeywan

tobeywan New Member

I have had my 07 Prius for less than a week and the check engine line came on. I'm taking it to the dealer on Monday for service. He is supplying me with a loaner car in the meantime. Anyone else have this problem with the '07 model? :blink:

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tobeywan @ Jun 17 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]463519[/snapback]</div>
    I can't be of much help other than to say that for any really experienced person to give you any advice you need to persistently and explicitly ask your dealer if and what error codes were generated and recorded. Bring those codes here and people may be able to help you.

15. gaboy

gaboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 2 2006, 12:36 PM) [snapback]264687[/snapback]</div>
    You might want to check AutoZone. I understand they will read your codes for free.