1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light on, 650 mile move tomorrow - Michgal needs your help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michgal007, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Of all the days it could happen, today the Malfunction indicator light came on. I checked the gas cap, and it's on tight. Last week dealer did an oil change and checked the 12V.

Tomorrow I am moving to a different state - 650 mile trip. I will try to take it to the dealer today (I am in Cincinnati today). I have 71k miles and extended warranty (bought from PC) until 75k.

Other than the gas cap, is there anything else that I should check before taking to the dealer? My warranty info is all packed and in the moving truck, do I need to show it to the dealer in case they need to fix something, or can I get it reimbursed later?

Thanks!

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Stop at a large auto parts store and have them read the OBD2 codes. Then tell us and we can interpret them for you.

You won't need the warranty data, they will access all information on their computer via the VIN number.

JeffD

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Jeff. If you can read the codes before the trip we can get an idea of how minor/major the problem is. :)

4. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, will do.

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to Auto Zone and the codes are P0441 and PO445. Guy at Autozone said I can drive tomorrow (small evac (sp?) leak) and just get it checked once I am there. What do you guys think?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Get a new gasoline cap (one from the auto parts store will do). The po445 code will clear after a few cycles. The po441 should be ignored until the 445 goes away.

JeffD

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should I get it done today, or would it be ok to get it fixed later? Thanks for the advice, it's a big help.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It just needs to be fixed in time for your next emissions test :).

9. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, haha. I will get it done on Friday. THANK YOU!

10. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Luscious Garage put a post on Facebook with a 441 code. After confirming that the fuel cap was good she found a small hole in the fuel tank shell. Checked to make sure the bladder wasn't leaking. Mixed up some putty like JB Weld and problem solved.

11. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This thread made me think of that. I really like how they handled that repair.

Michgal007 likes this.
  12. lovemyprius53

lovemyprius53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hey jeff,
    i also have had the check engine like come on the last couple of days, had it checked at Auto Zone they couldn't get a good read. but when i got back in the car and turned it on the light was off. i assumed that since i had gotten gas on my way, it had recycled a turned the light off. but it came back on today and they got a P1121 code, something about the accelerator pedal position sensor. How much trouble can i look forward to?

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    P1121 has a special meaning in a Prius. It indicates that a valve controlling coolant flow in and out of the "Thermos" is sticking. This can be just due to a low coolant level in the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) coolant loop (as opposed to the separate Inverter coolant loop). The coolant acts as a lubricant for that valve which is a bit expensive (~$350 to $400 at a Toyota dealer) to replace. Check the ICE coolant level and add some Toyota Super Long Life Coolant if it is low and see if the problem clears up. It did for me 125,000 miles ago.

JeffD

usnavystgc likes this.
  14. lovemyprius53

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks, i have noticed that the AC hasn;t been blowing as cool as it did and i thought i might check that out. but i also thought that it was because out temps have been over 100 for more than a month now(which is unusual here). i also considered that because i have 180k on it, it might need an overhaul on the AC. yuck, not looking forward to that.

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You could just be low on refrigerant, any AC shop can add some (but if they add oil it has to be a special kind that can handle the high voltages in the Prius AC system).

JeffD

16. lovemyprius53

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just looked under the hood. found three fluid reserves, the one on the far left of course is wiper fluid. the one next to it is i don't know what but fluid level is at max. the 3rd is just to the right of center, next to the hybrid unit has pinkish fluid(i am assuming that is the reserve unit i am to be looking at but it also looks full. Am i in big trouble?

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Have you recently had the ICE coolant drained and refilled? Air remaining in the system is a common problem. Have the shop work a bit harder to get the air purged from the system. The air will usually get out after a few driving cycles and then the fluid level in the reservoir will drop indicating that a top off is needed.

If you do need to replace the valve, it is not a terribly expensive repair. I had to have my steering column fixed for more than twice that amount at 150,000 miles.

JeffD

18. lovemyprius53

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my last service was a tune-up but that was about 3 months ago. other than the normal oil change

19. lovemyprius53

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry, that was suppose to be 2 months ago

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi-
    You still haven't looked at the ICE coolant tank. Get a flashlight and open the hood back up. The radiator is right behind the front grill. Look behind the black plastic cover over the front of the engine. Look down and you'll see a white plastic tank. Its on the other side of the radiator. Thats the ICE Coolant overflow tank. On the pass side of that tank is the full level mark. Check that coolant level by shining the flashlight throughthe tank and make sure its to that line. Should be nice and pink just like the Inverter Coolant next to the Inverter.
    I bet its empty. I bet you may have a weeping Coolant water pump. I like to bet.