1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine Light on due to fuel cap open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Seanzky, May 13, 2014.

1. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: After about 10 starts, the light finally went away.

Last weekend, I went to fill up at a full service gas station and the idiot attendant just left the cap open. What pisses me off the most is that I gave him tip, too. Now the 'Check Engine Light' is on and it won't go away. The salesman asked me how much gas I had left to which I replied, "one bar above the halfway mark". He then asked me to check the fuel cap and that was when I realized it wasn't even screwed on. It was just plopped over the hole. But even after I closed the cap, the light won't go away. I've since turn off the car, turned it back on... filled up the tank all the way to full (I was thinking that gasoline might push the air out)... turned the car off and back on again... drive 22 miles... and the light is still on.

I searched the forums for any similar threads but none came up so I thought I'd ask by starting this thread. Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone know how to make the light go away? Any help is greatly appreciated. The salesman has already clocked out and I don't want to bother him during his off hours. I also want to avoid taking the car to the dealership if I can find the fix for this here in the forums.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Give it a few more days, I've read that will do it. I don't think it impairs vehicle operation, other than the light bugging you. Disconnecting the 12 volt battery *might* clear it. If you're going sometime soon for tire rotate they might clear it for free.

dorunron likes this.
  3. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Right now it seems like the best option is to wait it out if that's what it takes. Won't disconnecting the battery reset all the settings I've put in? I'm not sure and I'm asking that because in my previous cars, everything (not just the clock) went back to factory settings. Going back to the dealership is my last resort.

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    you need a certain amount of ignition on's without triggering any failure messages/
    so if you go like ten times back & forth in ready mode & totally off, it should be gone//

dorunron and Seanzky like this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This. Or, ignore it as mentioned above, till it goes away.

SCH-I535

dorunron likes this.
  6. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Just turn on the car without going anywhere and back off again around 10 times?

SGH-T999 ?

7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    right.
    for normal you don't even have to start the engine; just get it in ready mode for a few seconds & then turn it off again.

BION
    StarCaller

dorunron and Seanzky like this.
  8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem will go away by itself. Every OEM is a little different, but you have to cycle the vehicle several times to clear the evaporation emissions containment system fault.
    If you grow impatient some places like Pep-Boys or Auto Zone will clear the codes for you.

There's a very slight chance that you'll mask a new problem during the 10-20 drive cycles that it will take to clear the problem, but I wouldn't worry about that on a 2014.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Pick up an el cheapo code reader off of eBay or something to clear codes. This won't be the last time.

10. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Is there any you can recommend, off of eBay or Amazon?

11. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just so we're clear on this:
    Take any modern car; remove the gas cap; drive around for a bit, and the Check Engine light's going to go on.
    Take said modern car; put the gas cap back on; take $RANDOM number of trips; and the Check Engine light will go off.

Eventually. When the software developers who put the check in there decide that it's time.

You can speed up the process with $$$ and Trouble, or just Breathe Easy, Be Happy, and wait for the light to go out on its own.

Happened to my wife's Sienna, a Honda Civic I used to own, and I think I've seen it around once or twice on other cars.

There's nothing actually wrong with the car.

Sometimes a dealership will reset the light for free; mostly, they'll charge you something for the privilege. Note that if one actually had a broken gas cap/busted rubber gasket/whatever, the Check Engine light would be legit, they'd fix whatever-it-was, and clear the light while they were at it. But, since you know the cause, that's not the issue here.

Now, if you were planning to play with with code readings/scangauge/etc. anyway, then feel free, this is a great excuse. But if you're thinking you have to do this, well, no, you don't.

KBeck

Mendel Leisk and Seanzky like this.
  12. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sean: One like this should work for you.

Seanzky likes this.
  13. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The CEL code will "Clear" itself after X-number of system 'READY' restarts.

14. Seanzky

Seanzky Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wanted to update this thread for future reference. The light finally went away. It was about 10 starts. Thanks to all those who helped, once again.

Mendel Leisk and ftl like this.