1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light on, P1116, P1121, P1123 codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fatmatt86, Feb 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which coolant pump? There are four of them.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check and see if the inverter coolant pump works. Open the hood and remove the cap on the inverter coolant tank- and check the level (it's towards the back of the engine bay and on the driver's side of center). Put the car in Ready mode then go look at the coolant in the tank- it should show turbulence and move around if the pump is working properly.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Black2006 likes this.
  3. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Thanks!

Is there an easy way I can check for it, or do I have to take it to the shop?

4. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Thank you! I opened the cap, turned on the car and when the engine came on, there was some shaking in the fluid. But otherwise, I don't detect visible turbulence when the engine is not running. Here is a video of what I see:

The level is a little below Max, it's just about where the top container seam joins the larger bottom part of the container, definitely above the Min mark.

The Check Engine light has been off for days now, The Torque app test results are all green (good), but the Torque app still shows the POA93 code.

P.S. Just came back from a drive, and according to Torque, Coolant temperature was around 180-187F at the highest, with MG1 Inverter getting to about 176F and MG2 Inverter getting to about 182F. No Check Engine light.

#24 Black2006, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    te shop would have to run tech stream and use the bleeder tool. is it a toyota dealer?

Black2006 likes this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your pump is not working. Change it out. Get an OEM pump from the dealer and it should be good again for 100,000 miles. Aftermarket units vary from 6 months to a year, sometimes longer.

7. Black2006

Black2006 Member

But if it wasn't working, shouldn't the Check Engine light be on?

Also, shouldn't the coolant temperature be getting above the 180s F and also the temperature readings for the MG1 Inverter and the MG2 Inverter?

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try touching the inverter coolant pump with a finger or a pencil/stick, and you should feel a vibration.

First scan for OBD2 codes (DTCs) and post anything new here, then clear the DTCs (OBD2 codes) and report if anything reappears.

Black2006 likes this.
  9. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Thanks! I turned on the car and when the engine stopped, I could hear a periodic sound like a pump from the passenger's side of the bay, and while it was running, it felt that the hose to the coolant container was vibrating. While the engine was running, it also felt as if the coolant pump at the bottom of the driver's side of the bay was slightly vibrating, but once the engine stopped, I could no longer feel vibrations.

I cleared the POA93 code that may have been there since the last time when the Check Engine light was on and after searching for new faults a few times, nothing came up.

Test Results also came all good after multiple cycles.

Thank you all for the input! My hope is that it's nothing but a glitch.

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there is no code for the pump not working. The closest you will come is a code that is thrown when the inverter temperature gets too high. That code is P0A93, which you had in history and cleared below.
    Only if you were driving the car hard. This could be a highway drive at 60+ MPH or a hill climb. Generally, the car will not over-temp when driven on surface streets below 40 MPH. You can continue to monitor these gauges to help you keep the car in a safe operating zone.
    Nothing wrong with hope, but it is not a strategy. I'm confident you will see the code come back in the right circumstances. Even so, I'd be getting in a new OEM pump and changing it out seeing as your current pump has failed.

Black2006 likes this.
  11. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Thank you! You are right.

I just took the car out and drove it harder, uphill. The Check Engine light came on, just about when the MG1 Inverter showed about 210F and the MG2 Inverterwas getting close to 220F, according to the Torque app. I am attaching screenshots.

The test that has issues, but I am not sure what they mean exactly or if it's a cause for concern:

Test incomplete or dependent test failed
    MID: $01-T1D:$8e
    02 Bank 1 Sensor 1
    and also
    MID: $3d TID:$ca
    EVAP Monitor (0.020')

Screenshot_2021-04-20-13-50-55-741_org.prowl.torque.jpg Screenshot_2021-04-20-13-23-36-935_org.prowl.torque.jpg Screenshot_2021-04-20-13-50-02-457_org.prowl.torque.jpg Screenshot_2021-04-20-13-49-16-657_org.prowl.torque.jpg

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The P0A93 is only pending at the moment, which is why there is no MIL (aka CEL) for that.
    As far as the emissions tests go, I'd not worry about it right now, especially if you recently disconnected the 12V battery for any reason.

Also, your Torque app is not set up correctly for Prius. Those 'MID: $3d TID:$ca' strings should say the correct Toyota Prius DTC. If you are using the Torque (the free) app, you need to spend the $5 (or whatever the price is now) and upgrade to the Torque Pro app. I don't think the free Torque allows you to set up the Prius PIDs.

Other users prefer other apps like Dr Prius and Hybrid Assistant. YMMV.

Black2006 likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those last two screenshots are just a different area of the app, where it shows monitor test results rather than DTCs. The MID and TID values are monitor and test IDs. The app is working fine.

Those screens just aren't adding any information we need for the OP's current problem. The monitor tests are all showing green, except for the EVAP ones that haven't run yet. Monitor test results get cleared whenever codes are cleared, and they show as 'incomplete' until the next time the monitor runs. The EVAP monitor tests don't run until the car has been turned off for several hours (at least that's when Gen 3 does them). People sometimes post "what's the noise my car was making when I went in the garage in the middle of the night?"

Black2006 likes this.
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel like those MID and TID codes should be translated/interpreted to something meaningful. But that is just a WAG, from what I've seen others post. However, I don't use the app myself so I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Translations are being shown on the following line.

16. Black2006

Black2006 Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help, again.

I took it to the shop with all the information I gathered here and from the Torque app, and based on it, they spent some time testing and confirmed that the new OEM inverter pump is malfunctioning. They replaced it under warranty and now all is great again with the car.

Now that the pump is working correctly, the main difference I notice is that both the MG1 Inverter and the MG2 Inverter are showing much lower temperatures, hovering about 100 degrees F, while before they were about 180 F under normal driving conditions and up to 220 F going uphill.

The regular Coolant gauge in the Torque app is still at about 185 F under regular driving conditions.

dolj and SFO like this.