1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine light on with rough/LOUD Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ana Hernandez, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ana Hernandez

Ana Hernandez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check engine came on and when the normal engine starts this rough very very loud sound comes on, could be heard from 400 feet away I'd say.
    I added more oil thinking maybe it was low(which marking indicated it was low) but the rough sound still comes on.

What can possibly be wrong?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hoo boy, a lot of things, i know that. take it somewhere to have the codes read.

how many miles on him?

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    how much oil did you add? what color was the oil when you checked it? it almost looks from your post that you don't really know how to check the oil. you may have engine damage.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Other trouble lights? There is a separate oil pressure light on your dash, although some say when it comes on damage may already be done.

Don't drive it until you have it looked at - if it needs a tow, do it, so you don't risk further damage. As pointed out, a qualified mechanic needs to check the computer to see what is wrong.

Year and miles? Service record? Are you still under warranty? Good luck!

5. whtmtns

whtmtns New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had the same issue today. Very loud rattle in engine, then smelled something like oil or rubber burning. Check engine light is on now. Seems to be a problem with the ICE. Electric motor and engine seem fine. Any ideas? Looks like I may need to tow it or more damage may be done. Rattle seems to be getting worse not better as I let it run, particularly when trying to drive the car in forward or reverse. 2012 Prius V with about 75K miles.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi

The ice is the engine. Internal Combustion Engine. You posted in the G2 forum you need to post this in the G3 forum your car is a Gen3 car.

But do some searching. Many many posts about the egr system getting clogged and making horrible engine noises in a G3.
    The egr system needs to be cleaned out.
    Go over to the G3 forum and read all the posts in the Repair Maintenance section.

Use the Search Forum button on the top of the page. Put EGR in the search.

Or your engine is out of oil.

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP actually states it is a Prius v wagon, so Prius v forums would be the ideal target forum.