1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light with low (but not empty) gas tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jgrn307, May 9, 2009.

1. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With an SG, it should tell you how much gas is remaining in the tank, eh? My CAN-View quantifies the remaining fuel with a percentage in 2.5% increments. If I'm just driving around town, I'll wait until it hits 5% before I start eyeing the gas stations. The low-fuel warning comes on at about 12.5% - 15%, depending on how it's sloshing around in there. Before getting CAN-View, I ran out of fuel 3 times (twice on purpose). Since CAN-View, I have never run out of fuel, and I stretch it each time:).

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because accurate/consistent fills cannot be determined with the fuel bladder (i.e. you can't top off the tank to the same level every time at one click of the gas pump like you can in a standard gas tank to zero in your SG 100%) when you enter your fillup in the SG you are not 100% accurate on some of the SG controls (gallons remaining, miles to empty). Just like the PIP's can't be used to accurately determine how many gallons equal one PIP the SG is also a guess on fuel remaining and miles until empty.

When you initially setup the SG you are asked how many gallons the tank holds (11.9 is entered). There may be any where from 7-11.9 gallons in the tank and the SG is only estimating the amount of the current fill vs. the amount of the previous fill to estimate what is in the current tank. Thus, the miles left to drive and gallons remaining are never accurate.

I thought my comment about not using the SG on a Prius to measure remaining fuel was a good idea since the person we are telling to go get one "may" have run his bladder dry twice.

On the codes end of things, for a Prius, the SG is a great idea. In addition to the real-time mpg and finding sweet spots too.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with SG, does the SG not supply data for how much fuel is in the tank? The CAN bus supplies the data of how much fuel is left. Obviously, it can't be depended on for accuracy, but it gives a much better idea as to how much fuel is left in the tank by giving you a percentage. The percentage given isn't based on how much fuel has been used vs how big a tank you have. It's based on the measurement of how much fuel is left in the tank.

4. A. B. Hair

A. B. Hair New Member

Rural area called Powdersville, 10 miles out of Gr
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My check engine light came on and the local Toyota dealer said it was the gas cap. Later, when I filled up it came back on so I went back to the dealer. This time he said it was the charcoal canister. This cost about $550 to install. I had to pay up front to get it ordered and he reset the check eigine light. It has now been several hundred miles and has not come back on. I don't know what to do at this point. I am sure the dealer has the charcoal canister now that I have paid for.
    Anyone have an answer?