1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check engine light!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prberg, Mar 22, 2005.

1. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey gang,
    I was driving today on a normal city street (as a sidenote, it was raining) and as I turned a corner I got a face full of warning lights. I got the 'Check Engine light' , the Big Red '!'. And on the MFD it said 'Problem'. I called toyota's roadside assistance line (I'm only at 20k) and since the car seemed to still be driveable and I was only a few minutes from the dealer they told me to drive it in. They said if it got worse to stop immediatly.
    So I got to the dealer ok, and the service manager stareted to take down my info. He came back to the office and said 'so the light went out eh?". Sure enough.. the light wasn't on anymore. Why does the problem always dissaper as soon as you get to the service dept?? So he said he would keep it and check it out but if he gave me a loaner then I would have to pay for it (unless they found something major, that would justify the loaner car). I said I didn't really want to pay anything since I was under warranty so he said I could bring it back tomorrow and they would take a look at the codes.

Well sorry for the long story.. I guess I was just wondering if I should bring it back to the dealership if the light doesn't come back on. If they 'check the codes' and don't find any major problems will they charge me for the labor? What might cause those lights to go on.. and then turn off again? I had tried to turn the car on and off a few times to 'reset' the light but it didn't work for me. Only after I got to the dealership did it go off. I'm just wondering if it might be something serious or something I don't need to worry about.

thanks alot,

Peter B

2. mspencer

mspencer New Member

From what I've heard here, if you specifically ask them to check the codes, they could charge you for that. If you say "the lights came on, and I was told to drive it in" and let them infer the rest, I don't think they can charge you.

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At only 20k,you should still be under warranty, I believe. Just tell them the "Check Engine Light " came on. The "Check Engine Light" is letting you know a part of the emission system is out of specs/defective and should still be covered. Even tho the light went out, there will still be a trouble code/codes. Being a 2nd generation Prius, I think that they will find a P3191 code among others. This is common and there is a TSB on it. It has to do with the ECU thinking the engine didn't start even if it did or thinks it ran out of gas. They correction is a reflash of the ECU (computer). Then you will be good to go! Get it checked out and let us know,ok? :wink:

4. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The same thing happened to me at just under twenty thousand miles. I just ignored it and it never happened again. Also I didn't find any codes (maybe it was before I had the SSC-40 done?).

You should probably take advice from rick57 though. He's the MasterTech.

I'm just a kid who works at the airport.

5. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks guys. I already had the SSC#: 40D (Prius OBD) service done a few months ago. Not sure if that had anything to do with it. But since it's still under warranty I might as well have them check it out. I will let you know what they find. Guess it can't be too serious if the check engine light isn't flashing anymore.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

50,000 emissions warrantee should cover checking the check engine light, no questions asked. I believe Cali law requires this, if not federal.

What dealer is this; I'll make sure I don't go there (I'm in LA area).

Did you get the extra warrantee? It covers a loaner car if it takes overnight.

7. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

Had the same thing happen last week. Took Flo in the next day. They had to do a TSB which basically reset the computer...I can find the exact TSB on the paperwork if anyone is curious,

Flo is at almost 12000 and she is feelin fine!
    Mark

8. phxprius

phxprius Junior Member

I had the same thing happen about 6+ weeks ago while I was turning. I too was by the dealer and pulled in. The light show stayed on and everyone saw it at the dealership. They took in the back. I checked up on them in about 30 mins and they replied that there was an update to the software and they were about half way through a new upload of software.

No problems since...

9. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well it's good to hear that others have had this problem and no serious problems because of it.

I just got back from the dealer. The service manager said 'the computer had a glitch, and we re-programmed it.' Not very specific. He wasn't there when I picked it up so I couldn't ask him any questions. Here's what my paperwork says:

Found codes 'P3191' (engine does not start) and 'P0A0F' (engine failed to start). It says they re-programmed the engine ECU. Rick was right about the 3191 code. Can someone explain what those codes really mean and what it means when they say they 're-programmed' the ECU?

thanks alot,

Peter B

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trouble codes are a way for the tech to zero in on the system that is causing the problem. After hooking up the scan tool and retrieving the code, the tech can go to the repair manual (or in my case now,the PC) and look up the code. Then you would follow the flow chart on that code, hopefully leading you to the cause. In the case of your codes, it is just a software update, just like your virus program would do. The update is loaded in the scan tool from the pc and then transfered to the vehicles computer. When Toyota sees the beginning of a trend,it releases a Technical Service Bulletin to let all the techs know about it and save time trying to diagnosis a problem that others have had.

11. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I guess there is a Chapter 2 to this story...

So I had the check engine light turn on last week... had the dealer check it out, and they re-programmed the ECU. Everything is great.

Well over the weekend I went driving with my friend out in the desert. We were crusing down a flat streach and I pushed the car up to 105MPG (I know. .. not a good idea). I quickly resumed my normal speed (around 70) and about 45 seconds later I had lights flash at me again. This time I got: The Red '!' (inside the triangle), the yellow '!' (inside the circle), and on the MFD it said 'Problem' (and had the symbol of the car with the '!' over it). This time it wasn't just the lights, I started to notice that I was losing power (I couldn't keep the car going 50). So I pulled over to check it out. Turned off the car, and turned it back on and the lights were still there. Let the car sit for 10 mins. and then tried again. Lights were still on (actually I think the yellow '!' turned off at this point) but this time the car performed normally. So at this point (I was far from civilization) I started to drive home. Took it very slow at first but the car was driving normally (other than the lights still on). Got home (It was a sat. night, so no dealers were open) and the next day I drove the car and all the lights were gone.

So I'm wondering if this problem might be realted to my first incident when the lights flashed at me, or if I pushed the car too hard and maybe I damaged something.. or maybe it was just asking me to give it a break? I also noticed that the oil level was too high (quarter inch over the top mark) so I drained some out when I pulled the car over to the side of the road. not sure if this could have anything to do with it. Should I take it in to the dealer again to 'check the codes'? Why can't the car be more specific... when it says 'problem' it's not very helpful.

A side question.. does this car have an electroic speed limiter on it? What is the max speed? What speed is too fast for the car? I know the tires have their own speed rating.. but I wonder what car itself can handle without damage. (just for short periods... not day to day driving)

Would love to hear your input... Thank.

-Peter B

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you shouldn't have gotten the CEL light again...even going 105...which is (I believe) the top speed a Prius can go. Yes, it is regulated to prevent damage to the hybrid system (MG1 speed peaks??).

I think you need to take it back, I don't think sharing the 105mp thing is necessary, just tell them you were going 70 when it happened.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The yellow circle with the ! in it is related to brakes. The car with an ! on the MFD indicates a problem with the hybrid system. Sounds like a power glitch! DTCs should reveal that.

Loose battery cable?

14. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending on the Trouble Codes stored, I am sure the tech will see Vehicle Speed in the Data List that was Freeze Framed when the code set. The ECU takes a Snap-Shot of any relevant info pertaining to the system that caused the Trouble Code.I wouldn't mention it when you take it in tho. Just tell them the Lights came on while driving, :lol:

15. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I'm going to bring it in tomorrow... want to be sure these lights were not a sign of somthing serious (if it was serious the lights would still be on right?). Toyota emailed me back and said the cost (of the diagnosis) might or might not be covered by the warranty. That sucks. In what case would diagnosis of trouble lights not be covered by the warranty? I'm only at 21,000 miles. Unless they can prove I abused the vehicle somehow (not doing maintenance or something?) I don't see why this wouldn't be covered under warranty. I know driving fast it not good for the car but that doesn't invalidate the warranty does it?

thanks,
    Peter B

16. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think that for the most part anytime the "Check Engine" light comes on it leads to something that would be a warranty repair. The light will come on for any emission/efi related trouble. If it is for an Evap leak, which could be a loose gas cap and they might try to charge for that. We normally don't and if we find that is the problem,the customer is educated as to just make sure the cap is tightened fully the next time it is refilled.

17. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the info Rick, that's what I thought too. Well I got the car back again and they said it was a similar thing. A 'Computer Glitch'. The code this time: P2128 (Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'E' Ciruit High Input). They didn't mention my high speed but they asked what was happening when it went off. I just said I was doing some hard driving. So is this error code a sign that maybe the sensors are a little too sensitive? Or maybe I shouldn't drive too fast next time! :) I wonder if V8Cobrakid ever got any errors (I thought he has done some high speed driving beore).
    My service manager said that they contacted Toyota Corporate and opened a ticket on this issue so they can track if I get any further codes. I guess this is expeced with a new car. When I go buy Windows 1.0 it is expected to have to upgrade to 1.1 or 2.0 at some point as they improve the software.
    A side note.. they also did the 20k service on the car even though I didnt' request it. So when they asked me to pay for that I reminded the service manager that I never requested that service and my car was totatly up to date on all service. He discussed something with his supervisor and 5 mins later I had my car... no charge. :)

Well thanks again.. Will update if I get any further errors.

-Peter B

18. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After looking at my paperwork closer.. I see when they did the service that I didn't ask them to do... they used 10W30. Shouldn't they know what oil the car needs more than me?? Doesn't it say right on the cap... 5W30?? They probably overfilled it too.. I better go out and check right now. Is it really that hard? I mean really.

anyways... have a good weekend.

-Peter B

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Peter:

Well, I sure wouldn't use a 10W-30 up here at -40. However, your climate is entirely different and if the dealer is filling with 10W-30 there has to be a good reason.

It appears the Prius in Europe are being filled with a 10W-40 and Toyota of Australia usually fills with a 20W-50. So given your temps, since the dealer documented it, don't worry about it. BP in Europe recommends their 0W-40 in the Prius, you can verify this yourself:

http://www.bplubricants.co.uk

Click on "Recommendations," "Retail," "Cars," "Toyota," and "Prius (Hybrid car)." BP has alternative viscosity recommendations - depending on expected ambient temperatures - up to 20W-50.

You *may* be sacrificing some MPG though. A lot of folks with small fuel efficient cars have reported MPG gains of 4-8% by running Mobil 1 0W-30. That oil should be available at your local Pep Boys or Autozone.

However, if you ask your local dealer about running a 0W-30 all year round, where you live, they may have a cow. Even though it's an xW-30.

Some folks with Honda Civic's that specify a 5W-20 have tried Mobil 1 0W-20 and reported similar 4-8% fuel economy gains. It's still unclear if the "lighter" viscosity has any long-term reliability or engine life issues.

A 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, and a straight SAE 30 all have similar viscosity characteristics at the test running temp of 100 C. So one would think that in a consistent and warm climate like yours, it really shouldn't matter.

Mobil 1 oils are all somewhat "thinner" at running temps than conventional oils. Eg: SAE/API specs for a xW-30 oil specify around 9.5-13 cSt] 100C, so there is a *large* range here. Most of the Mobil 1 xW-30 oils test at around 10 cSt.

Another thing to consider is that Ford has specified a 5W-20 for most of their vehicles - including their V-10 powered motorhomes - for at least 6 years now. How often do their motors blow up running a 5W-20?

One thing I would do is call the toll-free Toyota Assistance number and ask Toyota if it's acceptable for the dealer to use a viscosity different from that stated on the filler cap. Since the dealer has documented using a 10W-30 you appear to have CYA and should be off the hook if anything *does* happen.

20. prberg

prberg Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Totota's response was a bit lame....

me: I had 2 questions about my Prius. I recently took my car into Keyes Toyota and they changed my oil. I didn't notice it right away but on my paperwork it says they used '10W-30' oil. I know the user manual says to use '5W-30'. Is this a big problem? why did they do this? Will this harm my engine or effect my gas milage? Will it effect my car's warranty?

Toyota:
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We apologize for any confusion regarding the recommended oil selection. The Owner's Manual cites the recommended engine oil selection under what is assumed to be a standard, or typical set of driving conditions.

Your local Service Manager has both the business right (since dealerships are independently owned service facilities), and the real-world experience, to offer his own input and advice, often seen as the dealership's general service recommendations. Additionally, a local Service Manager has the ability to fine tune service recommendations for particular environments, and perhaps even specific, return customers.

They didn't say anything about warranty or fuel economy.

-Peter B