1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine (Malfunction Indicator Light)

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by skschoch, Jun 29, 2010.

1. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday, I was driving home in EV mode, PHEV on, about 80°F, no hills, not accelerating, SOC about 4 bars, about 1/2 mile out, when it dropped out of EV mode, and then I got the red triangle and the check engine light.

Today I grabbed the code with an OBD2 reader, and got this:

Freeze Frame Information:
    1. DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored - P0A92.
    2. Engine Coolant Temp - 138.20 °F.
    3. Engine RPM - 1,888.00 Rpm.
    4. Vehicle Speed Sensor - 14.91 Mph.
    5. Intake Air Temperature - 96.80 °F.
    6. Time Since Engine Start - 101 Sec.
    7. # Warm-ups since DTC Cleared - 74.
    8. Distance since DTC Cleared - 706.50 Mi.
    9. Control Module Voltage - 13.69 V.
    10. Ambient Air Temperature - 80.60 °F.
    11. Accelerator Pedal Position D - 30.98 %.
    12. Accelerator Pedal Position E - 46.67 %.
    13. Time since DTC Cleared - 30 Hr32sec.

Does this happen because it's in EV mode? Do I just have to put up with it every so often? (This is the second time it happened.)

2. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That code (inverter motor performance error) should never occur under normal driving no--not even in EV mode (especially not in EV mode). Best guess is that it's the Enginer system interfering with the vehicle sensors somehow but it /could/ be a legitimate problem.

There may not be an actual problem with the inverter / motors though, there are certain codes that Enginer owners have reported on this forum that they say can safely be ignored. Without the subcode I can't tell you what portion of the inverter / motor assembly is having performance issues.

Enginer owners--is this code actually normal? If so...why?

Mmmm edit:
    Turns out that DTC deals exclusively with the inverter motors regardless of subcode. Subcode identifies what type of malfunction occurred (which would still be helpful to know).

Sorry one more edit:
    It shows you cleared DTCs 30 hours prior--was that for the same code?

Andrew

3. skschoch

skschoch New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used a CanOBD2 reader. I didn't find "subcode" in the manual. Any idea how to get the subcode? I haven't cleared the DTC yet.

I cleared the last DTC about a month ago. That piece of information must be incorrect. Unless the last DTC was a "pending" DTC that got cleared automatically.(?)

4. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry, I should have clarified. To read the subcode (sometimes known officially as INF code) you'll need an official Toyota scantool (or bring the car to the dealer) so that probably won't help you much. Generic OBD2 scanners can't pick up that extra data b/c its proprietary Toyota.

As for the bit about 30 hours since last DTC clear, that would be 30 hours of driving / having the car on--not calendar time. Does that seem about right?

Andrew

5. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been driving with the MIL since 2004. But I got the red triangle with the hybrid error on the display (car with exclamation mark) a couple of time last week. It was due to a dying 12v aux battery. I replaced it with a Tempest deep cycle AGM TD35-12 ($85, Tempest distributor San Jose). The connector bolted right on without modification; it just needed a different strap to hold the TD35 down as it is 4 inch shorter.

Today is the last day for a free MIL diagnostic at BayArea Toy Dealer with the flyer "coupon", though i think the Sunnyvale flyer indicates "free with service" but the Palo Alto on Middlefied flyer did not indicate service require. I am planning to bring mine in this morning.

I need a Scangauge ! hope that helps.

Am still concern about the heat in the Enginer system.
    Pb