1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Engine only after filling up gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by E.D.C., Jul 8, 2017.

1. E.D.C.

E.D.C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two months ago check engine light came on for small vapor emissions. After checking some things over it seems that the light only turns on after I fill up the gas bladder. If I only put 2-3 gallons in when it's low the light never comes on, was able to go 3 weeks without it. However, as soon as I put 7+ gallons into the bladder the check engine light never fails to turn on within the next 24 hours.

Anyone hear of this before or have any thoughts?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably need to tighten your gas cap or get a new one

E.D.C. likes this.
  3. E.D.C.

E.D.C. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I'm hoping that's the case, but I put some vaseline around the cap and seemed to help it for a while. My big fear is if it's something else, like a pinhole leak in the gas bladder that only gets exposed when it's stretched tight when full. Check Engine lit up after I filled the gas tank up today, which could be the vaseline is no longer sealing it, or it's related to a full tank as opposed to the half-full I've been filling the tank the past few weeks.
    Possibly crazy, but curious if this is possible before I buy a new gas cap.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A gas cap is $15. Great if it works, no big deal if it doesn't.

Your symptoms are probably related to a bad catalytic converter

5. bennerzzz

bennerzzz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hey there!

Not sure if you're still having this problem, but I've been noticing it on my 2002 Prius. It used to only come on when I topped off (only done this twice, not sure why) but today it came on after getting a full tank. Both times the codes read catalytic converter. The first time i took it to a shop and they patched a crack in my converter. The second time it just turned off after driving 3-4 separate occasions.

Curious to know if you've figured this out!