1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"check headlight system" general alert

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tyler MacKenzie, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Tyler MacKenzie

Tyler MacKenzie New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Suddenly a couple of days ago, I had a yellow-triangle with "!" flashing and the display saying "check headlight system". I manually checked all lights and hi-beams by eye, and all seemed working. Took it into an independent mechanic (my not-so-local Toyota dealer doesn't work weekends) and they could not figure out problem, suggesting maybe the LEDs were slightly out of voltage norm or a small number might be blown and causing the warning, even though the lighting difference might not be easily seen from outside. The warning keeps coming on and I am getting tired of the flashing triangle, with lights that outwardly seem fine. Any ideas? I am desperately trying to get some leads here, as my local dealer thinks I am made out of money and will charge a full hour (at $109+tax) just to check the code, then "go from there"... Thanks! PS: the independent mech. did not get much more from the scan tool than was displayed on the dash, except he seemed to think it was in the LED driving unit and not the incandescent hi-beams.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Basic Complete Car Warranty is 36 months or 60,000 km, whichever comes first. Are you out of that? Even then, I'd be inclined to talk the dealership, there might be a "good will" provision.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You have LED lowbeams on a level 3? Anyways, IIRC the LED headlights have a wire and connector that goes to an ECU or something. A Priuschat member had someone retrofit their headlights from LED headlight housings to ones with HIDs and was getting the Check Headlight Error message.

Is there a fix for the LED headlight" chi headlight system" error???? | PriusChat

My guess is that you have a loose connection on one of the headlight connectors. Try disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors on both sides.

#3 xliderider, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Canadian levels are different, and it's hard to display on priuschat. Canadian Touring is kind of a stripped down US 5: 17" rims and LED low beams.

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah OK, I figured it was something like that. :D

The thread linked above had the exact same error message and flashing ! symbol.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe it's the headlight levelling system? This comes with the LED headlights, there's a lever arm with a sensor at one of the elbows, spanning between the car body and the rear axle cross beam. You can check that it's not seized up, by just crawling under there with a 10 mm socket wrench, even with out raising the car.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I concur. If the lights are working I would check the leveling system first...

8. Tyler MacKenzie

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I found the leveling system and took it off, but the little sensor box with the three pins does not have any screws (the screws I took off freed it from the lever, but I'm left with a little sealed box...). Yes, it all came free easily from under the car, but can't get in to see the springs.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What about the warranty eligibility?

10. Tyler MacKenzie

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    no, I am at 63000 km and the local dealer says 60000 limit and too bad. Typical from Saint John NB Toyota!

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's likely codes in the system. See if you can get those first, before diving in? The dealership can read them, for around $70 labour. Or you can look into MiniVCC cable and Techstream. That's a big step though.

You could also try an email to corporate Toyota, see what they can do.

12. Mohammad imran

Mohammad imran New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have got the same problem. Started a few days ago but it only happens when it's raining so i suspect a bad earth somewhere

13. Mohammad imran

Mohammad imran New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have started to get the same problem for a few days but it only happens when it's raining. I suspect a bad earth somewhere. I have a 2014 Prius with factory xenons

14. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JDM?