1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check hybrid battery light on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by smthach92, Nov 27, 2018.

1. smthach92

smthach92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi guys, so my gen 3 2010 prius with 130k miles on the engine, it's "check hybrid battery system" light just turned on--when i was in the middle of an uber as a matter of fact :[ The engine still runs and I finished the ride before calling toyota to schedule a diagnostic and then returning home to come post this forum. For background I have been hearing some strange sounds, particularly a humming/whirring sound when the gas engine kicks in. Additionally there have been times when i've been at a stoplight wondering why the gas engine hadn't shut down. Anways I have a few questions:

-CA 10 year 150k mile hybrid warranty; this is applicable in my case, so I shouldn't be charged for the replacement correct?
    -will the diagnostic test cost me anything? I'm pretty broke
    -will they, upon diagnosing and potentially just fiddling around here and there with mechanical things (potentially turning off the system warning), try to avoid replacing my battery? That is, will they find a temporary solution to my problem that doesn't replace my hybrid battery--**like some alternative because it's not completely dead--and and potentially put me outside coverage?
    -also can anyone address that strange humming/whirring sound that occurs when the engine kicks on from the hybrid standby mode (like at a traffic light)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure if it is applicable for uber, hopefully.

generally yes

no, if it has thrown the dead battery code they will replace it

it might be a clogged battery cooling fan making the noise and throwing the warning. or it could just be a bad overheating battery causing the fan to run on high, and the engine to run more to charge it

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

The first step is to get the diagnostic codes to see what the issue actually is that is causing the code to display.

Once you have those, post them here and we can help with the next steps ;).

What part of the great state of California are you located? Since it sounds like your budget is tight, an independent shop could be best.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).