1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid Battery & Yellow Triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cloudx007, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Cloudx007

Cloudx007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately I got the dreaded Check Hybrid Battery light + Yellow Triangle on a 2010 Prius I bought just over a year ago.

The car didn't lose power or drive any different, fortunately, as I had another 10 miles to get home.

I'm guessing I'll need to rebuild the hybrid battery.

Looking for suggestions on good guides and videos I can follow.
    What equipment will I need to get?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First, read the codes. It may be something completely different.

Then you have to decide if you want to band-aid the fix or to actually fix it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it turns out to be the battery, get a new oems, low mile salvage, or toasters ^ aftermarket kit.

plenty of you tube battery swap videos

how many miles on her? you have 10/150 warranty

4. Cloudx007

Cloudx007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey all,

I believe the mileage is right around the 170-180k mark, go figure.

Silly of me to have let this issue sit for so long but I've got to take care of my car pronto now so will really appreciate any and all help.

Unfortunately my car having sat so long, the small battery went kaput too now ~ silly me, should have disconnected it from what Ive read and in retrospect. The code reader I have requires things to have been running and such to pull codes. Sigh. I did hook my code reader up prior to this and if memory serves, the code that came back was PA080.

From research I've done (would love some help here! Im handy but Im no mechanic) this indicates that some battery cells are bad, they need to be replaced and the whole thing needs to be rebalanced. Everything I keep coming across points me to the Prolong system which looks promising. I'm looking for the least expensive routes possible. DIY friendly is not a problem~ just point me to some stuff :)

I live in Las Vegas right now, transitioning to Phoenix in a few weeks, hoping to get my car fixed before then.
    If you know anyone with a Prolong system I can borrow to help get my car running, I'd be extremely grateful.

#4 Cloudx007, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You've used up your car's warning time, so now you are in crisis mode. Take it to the dealer and pay the $3k to get a new battery installed. If you have a couple weeks, then you can still look into some other solutions such as my kit.

Grit likes this.