1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System after EGR fix...help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by xmaveric, Feb 17, 2020.

1. xmaveric

xmaveric New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2010 Prius. This all started with error codes P0300, P0302, P0304, P0401. The dealer wanted around $1000 to replace the EGR Valve, which didn’t include the cooler. I decided to buy all the parts and do the repair myself. I purchased a new PCV valve, EGR valve, EGR cooler, and intake manifold, and water bypass hose (dealer noted there was a small leak in it.) Armed with the YouTube videos from NutzAboutBoltz, I spent several hours replacing all the parts.

After I put everything back together and reconnecting the 12V battery, the screen showed me the dreaded Check Hybrid System message. I tried a few things I had read online: turning the car on and off 3 times. Clearing the codes and disconnecting the 12v battery for 10 minutes. Reseating the hybrid battery plug. Dr Prius now shows 2 additional codes: P2111, and P0A0F.

I can start the car. The engine will fire up. I can drive it for a short while. However, once the engine stops running, the car will continue on battery power. But the engine will not restart. Then the battery runs out of power of course. I can then clear the codes and restart the car, and the engine will start again. I put the car in PWR mode to keep the engine running longer so I could get home. The engine will stay running as long as I keep accelerating.

Does this make sense to anyone? What did I break when repairing the EGR system? I double checked all the connections and I don’t see anything disconnected.

2. Threej

Threej Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was your PCV a Toyota OEM, or a 3rd party? I tried the latter and my engine gave me all kinds of weird issues like this until I put the old PCV back in.

3. xmaveric

xmaveric New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All the parts were from Toyota.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles on it? Is the engine coolant reservoir level stable?

All new? That's not cheap: all of your existing components are cleanable.

The P0300, P0302 and P0304 are often due to a head gasket failure. The P0401 is EGR clogging. Coolant level dropping is one clue to head gasket failing. You can also try compression and leak-down tests.

Did you remove the hybrid battery plug at the outset? It's not necessary to remove it, or disconnect the 12 volt, for EGR cleaning, nothing bad can happen. I'd suspect the Check Hybrid system is due to the hybrid battery plug not being fully seated, but not sure.
    For the P2111, you've got the throttle body connector reconnected? Double check?

I would stop force-running it, you might run the hybrid battery down to damaging level.

xmaveric likes this.
  5. xmaveric

xmaveric New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    UPDATE AT BOTTOM!

Thank you for your reply. Answers below.

It has around 200k miles. The coolant reservoir is stable. I had to add about half a gallon of the pink stuff because I pinched off the wrong hose during the EGR Cooler replacement. I did burp the system after.

Yes, I know they are cleanable as I've seen in various videos. However, I didn't have time to soak and scrub the parts. I'll probably try to recoup some of the cost by reselling them on ebay as used.

It's possible that there is a head gasket failure due to the high mileage. I didn't try any compression testing as I don't have the equipment. I'm not a mechanic, just an IT guy. When I first got the error I looked it up on various websites (including this one) and the leading fix was the EGR, so that's where I focused my efforts. The P0300-304 codes started at the same time as the P0401.

Yes, I removed the hybrid battery plug and disconnected the 12v negative cable as I always do when I service the car...just in case. I am sure the plug was re-seated fully.

Yes, the throttle body was reconnected fully. And I was able to actuate it by hand. I did clean it with some intake cleaner. I was careful to avoid getting any cleaner on the plastic parts.

Wise advice. I stopped trying when it stopped running long enough to recharge the hybrid battery. I was in panic mode because i needed the car for work the next day.[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: I took the car to the Toyota dealer yesterday. They said there was a TSB that said to update the firmware on the ECU after replacing the EGR valve. The technician tried to update the firmware but lost connection to the ECU mid-update and bricked it. They ordered a new ECU and installed it today. This completely fixed the "Check Hybrid System" error and cleared all the codes. As of right now, no codes and the engine is running well, better than ever! The dealer only charged me the standard $110 diagnostic fee and even gave me a loaner vehicle to use overnight. Thank you everyone for helping! Putting this update here in case anyone comes across this issue in the future.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Firmware update would more'n likely be specifically due to EGR valve replacement, with revised part no.

xmaveric likes this.
  7. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Right - I wonder if it was even possible for them to update the old ECU for the new valve. As I recall, that one TSB that calls for replacing a defective EGR valve also calls for replacing the ECU (not just updating the firmware). Sorry I don't have a link on hand.

That said, there have been folks here on PC who buy a replacement EGR valve, and until now I haven't heard anyone say they had update or replace the ECU to get things working properly. So this episode is an interesting data point...

xmaveric likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe they got the old part number valve. Interesting.

And good you're out of the woods. (y)

#8 Mendel Leisk, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    xmaveric likes this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am very happy you got it running! Hope can get a few hundred thousand more miles out of it!

UPDATE: I took the car to the Toyota dealer yesterday. They said there was a TSB that said to update the firmware on the ECU after replacing the EGR valve. The technician tried to update the firmware but lost connection to the ECU mid-update and bricked it. They ordered a new ECU and installed it today. This completely fixed the "Check Hybrid System" error and cleared all the codes. As of right now, no codes and the engine is running well, better than ever! The dealer only charged me the standard $110 diagnostic fee and even gave me a loaner vehicle to use overnight. Thank you everyone for helping! Putting this update here in case anyone comes across this issue in the future.[/QUOTE]

htcmember and xmaveric like this.
  10. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Great story. thanks for sharing it. Glad to hear the dealer owned up to bricking the ECU. Would have been easy for them to lie and tell you it was defective and needed replacement at your expense.

xmaveric likes this.
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    T-SB-0027-16 just says to reflash the ECU with the correct firmware revision (three choices depending on year of Prius, a different choice for Prius v and a different one for PiP).

But then it also says to stick a modification label on the hood that will show the part number of the updated ECU, presumably so if anyone later has a reason to replace the ECU, they'll get a replacement that has the right firmware in it.

xmaveric and wheezyglider like this.
  12. xmaveric

xmaveric New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you everyone for the help. One week later and it is still running well. Hopefully this is the last major repair for a while. I really hate working on cars. But I also hate paying a lot of money for cars. So it's a catch 22.

ASRDogman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As others have, I installed a new Toyota EGR Valve (P/N 25620-37120) on my 2010 Prius. There were no problems, no codes at all. My vehicle is up-to-date on its ECU calibrations.

Prius_Angie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What ECM calibration is it running?

15. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hmm. Not sure what the part about "update yes" means--I have no TIS subscription.

The calibration was updated in June 2019, when my Intelligent Power Module was replaced (under extended warranty).

Attached Files:

#15 pjksr02, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  16. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The labels also meet regulatory requirements (such as California’s 13 CCR § 2116), as evidence that the originally-certified configuration was changed with proper authority, not as an act of emissions tampering.