1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System after installing seat covers

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FinnthePrius, Jun 3, 2015.

1. FinnthePrius

FinnthePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Check Hybrid System, pull over to a safe location error

Prius c 2014

Today I was installing rear seat covers on my Prius C 2014. I was pulling the straps under the seats using a wired coat hanger. Though I believed I was being gentle enough, I must have disconnected a wire or something.

The car wont go in to ready mode, but all other utilities are functional.

Thoughts? Should I take it to my dealer? I am pretty confident I will be able to perform a simple fix myself under closer inspection, but have you guys any idea of what I might have done?

Thanks in advance.

2. FinnthePrius

FinnthePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    1. Prius c 2014
    2. Check Hybrid system pull over to safe location

Today I was installing rear seat covers on my Prius C 2014. I was pulling the straps under the seats using a wired coat hanger. Though I believed I was being gentle enough, I must have disconnected a wire or something.

The car wont go in to ready mode, but all other utilities are functional.

Thoughts? Should I take it to my dealer? I am pretty confident I will be able to perform a simple fix myself under closer inspection, but have you guys any idea of what I might have done?

Thanks in advance.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I'm not mistaken, the Gen 3 Prius owners remove the rear seat cushion when they install the seat covers.

Check your owner's manual or Google for instructions on removing the Prius rear seat cushion. Then look for wiring harnesses that may have been damaged or disconnected. A common cause of the Check Hybrid error is an unexpected short circuit to ground. I definitely wouldn't poke around under the rear seat with a wire coat hanger, especially since the HV traction battery and it's associated wiring with 200 or so volts of stored energy resides there.

If you find something disconnected or wiring insulation damaged, repair it if you can. Then know that the Check Hybrid error sometimes takes several attempts to make the car Ready to clear the error condition once everything is OK, maybe up to 10 tries. Good luck!

#3 xliderider, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, THIS IS A HIGH VOLTAGE VEHICLE AND YOU SHOULD NOT BE POKING AROUND UNDER THE SEAT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING......

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    if the seat bottom installs like the gen 2 they just pop in place with plastic clips towards the front..start near either door and pull straight up then slide it towards the front seat and lift out..you should be able to pop it out BUT the only wires I know of go to the fuel pump (again if its like the gen 2) I don't remember seeing any quick disconnects under the seat..you can read through these posts as well Prius C 2012 - Removing Back seat | PriusChat

.good luck

6. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The car checks resistance of the insulation for high- voltage wires that connect battery to the engine...maybe you damaged the insulation on one of the wires there? Thus Hybrid error. Or maybe one of the connectors came off. Need to remove the seat and inspect with good flashlight and maybe rubber gloves and magnifying glass.
    Alex

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    IDK where the air intake cooling vent for the battery is on the c but it was on the bottom right rear seat in my 2010 liftback. Did you by chance cover it up? If so, the battery may not be getting adequate cooling which is NOT a good thing!