1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System alert after hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by BrianTheLion, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Lee W L

Lee W L New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just had the same issue yesterday. I stepped on the throttle too quick and caused Check Hybrid System lights and message and the car wouldn’t run right. Toyota covered the inverter, but there’s now a National backlog to get them in for at least two months.

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is that workaround guaranteed to work?
    Now we have to drive gently, as if the inverter, brake actuator, and head gasket were all fragile---which they in fact all are.

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    just saw this and am wonderin why it's happening more now than in the past, if it is happening more now.... since there is a parts issue, also reported.... I also wonder what other similarities between cars showing this issue. I'm sure toyota might already know at least some of what is causing this besides the pedal to the metal descriptions so far.
    Any better history ideas about why the igbt(s) might be blowing up more now than before in gen 3s?

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Red bullet moders on here will debunk that.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Professor Kelly dives into gen 3 gen 1 inverter converter systems - he mentions all inverters use basically the same components as the first gen prius - wonder if we'll get any clues from it.
    youtu.be/Y7Vm-C4MsW8?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lz_i7FKrdTuEX0XlGZ1R9au&t=1233
    more clues explained in this section of the same video
    youtu.be/Y7Vm-C4MsW8?list=PLIn3FrDiB1lz_i7FKrdTuEX0XlGZ1R9au&t=3680

I'll post the gen 3 if I find it.

and a gen 4 regular prius
    youtu.be/qcW08Mh-eIc

#25 vvillovv, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  6. Monkey-like

Monkey-like New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This just happened to me. P0A94 - 557 error after hard acceleration getting into a traffic gap. The petrol engine runs well enough for me to get it to a Toyota shop but I have to climb a bit of a hill to leave my street... not sure how that will go. I also noticed an error come up previously after accelerating hard but I couldn't read it because its in Japanese and it disappeared before I could take a photo.

Car won't clear the P0A94 code and so its sounding like its this IPM module. Glad I found this thread to save me farting around trying other things. An issue like this sounds like it deserves the 20 year warranty. Any less doesn't sound fair. I haven't even had my Prius long and got this issue.

Sorry for the necro but just wanted to +1 this issue. It might be worth a new thread with the extended trouble code P0A94 -557 in the title so people can find this issue easier. That seems to be the persisting code that can't be cleared with this issue.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The inverter fails are probably happening less now that gen3s are starting to disappear from the road. I can go days without seeing another gen3. Years ago all registered owners were mailed inverter information and dealers and hybrid mechanics all knew it.

Now we have used buyers who are suckered in, finance for double or triple what they are worth, odo rollbacks are offered here, hg sealers, cat alarm resets, brake booster fails, oil consumption and occasionally uninformed owners paying a shop for an inverter.

#27 rjparker, Dec 23, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you mean the firmware update covered under a recall?

iPhone ? Pro

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was the E0E recall that updated some firmware. Later, there was the J0V recall that updated more firmware.

E0E was to reduce the likelihood of the hardware failing. J0V was to reduce the likelihood of you getting dangerously stopped in traffic if the hardware failed.

Neither of those recalls replaced any hardware. But the ZE3 warranty extension will still cover the hardware for you if it needs replacement up to (as of the last legal settlement) 20 years, unlimited miles.