1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System, car won't drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Langenschnitzel, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Langenschnitzel

Langenschnitzel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was driving on the road going about 50 mph when my 2010 Prius suddenly died. The dashboard displays Check Hybrid System and won't shift into drive. This is the first issue I have had with my Prius. The display still shows that the hybrid battery has charge and there is definitely gas in the tank. The Prius has around 154,000 miles on it. I tried resetting the hybrid system by unplugging the orange thing connected to the hybrid battery but that did nothing. I was going to get a new 12V battery but none of the stores in my area had them in stock and I'm not certainly how much that would accomplish anyways. The Toyota dealership can't get me in for a diagnosis until August 18th so I wanted to see if anyone here had experienced anything similar or had suggestions about what I could do in the meantime. Thank you in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

sorry to hear it. do you diy auto mechanics and electronics?

pjksr02 likes this.
  3. Langenschnitzel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To be honest I'm not super experienced when it comes to car work. I did replace the headlight assembly myself so I'm not above learning and trying. I've seen information about reading the codes but I'm entirely sure what I would need or even what I would be looking for.

bisco likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you up-to-date with the recalls on your Prius?

This sounds like it's inverter-related ("Intelligent Power Module"). Happened to me, luckily in the driveway. It may be the hybrid battery or 12-Volt, too.

The error codes are really important in these situations.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Langenschnitzel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are the error codes something that I will have to have done at the dealership or would I be able to get those myself? If so what would I need?

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where is the car now? Were you able to get it home or to a shop?

Removing the orange safety disconnect will do nothing for resetting codes, but will set a new one if you failed to perform step 3 of the interlock and will prevent starting the car. The diagram below is for a gen 2, but yours is similar.

Safety Disconnect Installation Procedure.jpg

August 18th is a long time to wait if you need the car. If use of the car is priority, you can always try to reset the ecus by disconnecting the 12v battery for a minute.

7. Langenschnitzel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is currently in the parking lot of my apartment. I can wait until the 18th but obviously having the car before that point would be nice even just so I could drive it to the dealership and not have to have it towed.

I disconnected the positive terminal of the battery and waited about 10 minutes but nothing seemed to change. Is reading the error codes something that I would be able to do myself?

8. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dont go to the dealer for the codes, way too much money.

Get a Carista if you can.
    Nice stuff you can do with it too.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need tech stream to read the codes, and the service manual to understand and troubleshoot.

if ou can make the car ready, check the inverter reservoir for fluid movement.

you can pick up an inexpensive voltmeter to check the 12v battery.

10. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you disconnected the 12v battery to reset the ecus and the car remains coded out, you have a significant problem or you haven't done step 3 in post #6. The only other time I've seen a car code right away was with a significant HV isolation fault on the HV battery. Techstream would tell the tale. With August 18th far in the future, you could have techstream up and going in a few days.

11. Langenschnitzel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to borrow an OBD2 error code reader and it seems that I am getting an error code P0A94 which seems to be related to the inverter. It also seems there was a recall for a software update for the hybrid system and mentions that if this issue caused the inverter to fail then Toyota would replace it free of cost. I'm hoping my issue is just related to the recall and thus would be covered. Lots of big IF's there though. Just gonna have to take it into the dealership and see.

12. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess that's good news. Your repair should be covered under the inverter warranty enhancement.

You'll want to look around this site and learn about the Prius EGR system. It clogs up over time, and you'll be wanting to clean it.

Attached Files:

13. Langenschnitzel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I figured I'd give everyone an update. Had it towed to the Toyota dealership near me and it was the Intelligent Power Module that was covered under an enhanced warranty that was good for up to 150,000 miles. My car was just outside of that range at 155,000 but the dealership filed some sort of extension form and got it authorized so it should be completely covered. Now just have to wait for parts to come in and for the repair to get done.

Bibster, ASRDogman and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)