1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System- Dealer has no idea

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Slickness, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    2013 Prius C THREE 67k miles

Got out of my car after using it friday. hopped back in to go to work tuesday was getting," Check Hybrid System, stop and pull over immediately". I put about 30k miles a year on my car so i run it hard and Im probably due for oil change and tranny fluid drain and fill but other than that I have no idea because the car was working fine friday. I tried going into accessory mode then holding brakes and powering up ,i forget what thats called, but no luck

Towed it to my mechanic, he said that he was getting generator errors (and tsp or tsb things?) and that he could most likely do the work but that I should make the dealer do it because it may be under warranty and didnt charge anything. So got it towed to the dealer and after the hybrid tech got in they said they see some generator error but they cant reset it. but also mentioned they got the car to come on.

So at the end they told me they need the car for tomorrow and will give me a rental because they have to call corporate in California to talk to the engineers to see whats going on because they ," have no smart idea." I appreciated the honesty but I wanted to see what yall think?

2. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Is it possible that it is an overheated battery?

3. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm still waiting to hear back from them so no idea yet. I imagine I'll hear from them sometime Saturday.

but I thought I always knew when there is something blocking the intake vent fan in the rear seat because the gas engine won't shut off. Doesn't that fan cool the battery?

4. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And they never called me... I'll call them and update monday

5. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    well I called the dealer slightly before 5pm and the guy handling my car wasnt there so, I Will update when I know something

6. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ok so I just got off the phone with the dealer. They think its either the power inverter or the transmission and they'll let me know which soon.

I'm just not sure if I still want the car if it can't handle the way a drive and major parts are failing @67k..

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. if you're an aggressive driver, a hybrid may not be for you. they seem to be sensitive to hard acceleration.

Slickness likes this.
  8. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yea I try to be gentle but I'm doing deliveries and sometimes u just gotta be a little agresive. Im just not sure how to get out of this car without being financially screwed but this is probably the wrong forum for that question

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    understood, i wish you all the best.(y)

10. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So they said it was the transmission. Which is odd because wouldn't one notice a tyranny starting to die?

11. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Transmissions in Hybrid/electric cars are not the same as your grandmother's transmissions...:( I haven't never felt an hybrid/electric transmission failing, but since less gears, who knows if we would feel it slipping or not. Could be one of those one sec its working, the next sec it isn't...just like most things electronic.

12. Uh, is that covered under your warranty slick?

13. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yea they said its covered under the 100k mile hybrid system warranty.

bisco likes this.
  14. Sweet. I sometimes go to town on the gas but usually am gentle. I expect over 100k for a Toyota transmission so I find it odd that yours threw an error so soon.

15. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yea thats what most people tell me. I mean I do deliveries, im doin like a 100 miles a day M-F and going like 80mph on the expressway for like 20 miles a day too. Also im literally hitting the pedal to floor at times durring rush hour traffic,I also never changed the tranny fluid but most people I say this too still say that it shouldn't have died that soon and there are taxi services that use the prius and im sure they are not being gentle. I will definitely not wait that long to change the new transmission's fluid this time though...

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota will tell you to never change the transaxle fluid, fwiw. It's a simple and quick job; do use the specd fluid:

Toyota ATF-WS.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    glad to hear you're covered. i was told the tranny is not part of the hybrid system.

18. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Whelp Im getting the car back tomorrow.. They said it was actually the Generator(part of the transmission from what they say) which is only covered under the 60k power train warranty but, because they told me sooo many times that it was considered the hybrid system and under 100k warranty that they will eat the $4200 cost and ill have to pay $220 or about 1/4 of the cost of labor...

Does this sound reasonable to you guys? It seems so to me. But I also remember my mechanic saying that he saw a bunch of ntsb's coming back when he first inspected the car before recommending I send it over to toyota. and mentioned something about a heatshield for the generator?

Just curious what everyone thinks really

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    afaik, the 'generator' transmission, is only covered under the 5/60. i'm amazed that they are eating it. what's an ntsb?

20. Slickness

Slickness New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry I meant tsb