1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System Diagnostic Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Darrell Kosub, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Darrell Kosub

Darrell Kosub New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a 2010 Prius IV model. In Jan-2017, I had the original hybrid battery replaced at 171,000+ miles with a rebuilt battery. I now have 281,000+ miles and just got the dreaded “Check Hybrid System” display. Prior to that message the battery system appeared to be operating normally from a charging and discharging perspective and I saw no major drop in my MPG after each tank of gas. I took it to Autozone and they were able to pull the P0A80 trouble code.
    I tried an experiment where I removed the negative cable from the 12V battery overnight. When I reconnected the negative battery cable, the Prius appeared to be back to its normal state with no message or check engine light. I drove it around the neighborhood for approximately 20 minutes Without issues monitoring the hybrid battery being changed to capacity and power flowing both to the battery and from the battery to the electric motor. Once I powered off the car and powered it back on, the “Check Hybrid System” message and check engine lights came back on.
    Does anybody have any troubleshooting techniques to determine if it is the hybrid battery or some other component of the hybrid system.
    Any feedback anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the code is probably right. download the dr. prius app and it will give you a battery health check and module voltages under load.
    it's always worth cleaning the cooling fan, but a hundred k out of a rebuilt battery is almost unheard of.

3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You may want to load test your 12V battery, just in case...
    A low voltage 12V battery can be problematic for Prius...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

ASRDogman likes this.
  4. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dr. Prius app and check for the lowest voltage, then if there are any that are low go to youtube learn how to do it yourself and replace the bad modules.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.