1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check hybrid system" failure & P0A0F code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jim Caldwell, Aug 31, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prior to getting the check hybrid warning, was it running fine?

2. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The engine is running for a very short time before the hybrid control system senses something wrong and shut down everything. It will fail and shut down without ever going out of park.
    Oh boy....i didnt think about what all those repeated run attempts would do to the charge state of batt pack. I hope pulling the cells so low hasn't ruined them! I could have to pay 1000.00 + for a reconditioned batt pak and several hours of shop labor? Btw, it not a gen 2 prius its 2010....gen 3. I was trying to avoid having to pay up the nose at toyota dealership to repair it, now i will pay up the nose even more.

3. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    absolutely. Was running perfect. Continued running at idle perfect after putting cap back on. (I saw that there was good fluid circulation). Shut down car. Came back a short while later, and got triangle of death& check hybrid system message.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you tested the 12v under load?

5. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I only have a fluke meter and charger. Where can i get a load tester?

6. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really need to know what state of charge of main battery is! 200.00 is nothing compared to what repair of the main batt will cost. I looked up on ebay if a prius battery pak charger conditioner could be bought there. Yes....there is a charger and cell balancer sold there for 300.00, but its for gen 2, not gen 3 cars. I'm SOL on doing anything on it myself.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  8. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you checked the inverter coolant reservoir (to verify pump function), what was the status of the car, was it freshly started, or it had been driven for a while? If the latter, was the engine shut down or running? Would the inverter pump turn on if the engine was off?

10. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV

11. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV

12. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car had just been turned on, right after oil level check. I checked it the same way i psriodically checked kt on my 09 Prius. Level was full and----with the car running so that the inv coolant pump runs----i could look in and see that the fluid was not still, it is being circulated.

13. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With prolong I think you need to open the pack and install a harness?

Check the 12 volt battery voltage, if just to get it out of the way. Better, assess with something like Solar BA9 (electronic load tester, around $60).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Once the harness is installed, it is plug and play. But some up front install is required ;).

That equipment was something that helps keep the pack operating well for a long time :).

We even made a believer out of @The Critic (y).

The Critic likes this.
  16. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Repair Manual for the 2010 Prius is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, as @bisco kindly mentioned, and from other sources, some of which may be available to you at no cost.
    The Techstream software can check one system or ECU at a time, if you pick it from the System Selection Menu, or check all of them once, if you use the Health Check function. If you just checked one system, you’ll only see the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) from that system. There is also a CAN Bus Check function, which shows whether Techstream can communicate with each ECU, without trying to retrieve DTCs.
    Techstream isn’t a guided fault-finding system like those provided by some other automakers. It’s just a tool for the technician to interact with the car’s computers, and it’s meant to be used together with the Repair Manual procedure for each DTC.

For DTC P0A0F, there should be more information available, however. The Repair Manual lists six INF (information) codes for this DTC, one or more of which should be shown in Techstream. INF codes 204 (abnormal engine output), 205 (engine is unable to start), 206 (engine component malfunction), 524 (NE signal error), and 525 (GI signal error) all mean that the power management control ECU received a malfunction signal from the engine control module (ECM), and the ECM should have stored one or more additional DTCs indicating the specific malfunction. Check in Techstream under Powertrain > Engine and ECT > Trouble Codes. INF code 238 (transaxle input malfunction) is different and has a longer procedure in the Repair Manual.

(NE and GI, by the way, are the crankshaft and camshaft position signals, respectively.)

17. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is some great info here. But now i have , I guess, run the main battery pak down dangerously low from trying to start the car, and running it, albeit in failed mode, about three times to run techstream. Dumb! So i cannot proceed until have obtained a prolong battery pak charger which is 360.00. And even more as they may also need reconditioning or balancing now. Right now i am trying to find out how to determine what the state of charge is. I guess i cant get my DMM leads on to the terminals of battery pak without pulling the rear seat out?

18. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anyone know if there is some point, probably in the engine compt., where i can connect a DMM test lead to main batt pak B+?

19. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota seems to use “B+” to refer only to the auxiliary (12-volt) battery, but I assume you mean the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery, for which the voltage is not available in the engine compartment unless the car is in READY.

This is an important safety feature of the hybrid system. The HV battery is kept electrically isolated, by the system main relays (in the HV battery junction block assembly near the battery), until the power management control ECU sends the signal to close the relays, connecting the HV battery, via the frame wire, to the inverter with converter assembly in the engine compartment.
    I can’t comment on the state of the HV battery, but I agree that it’s not a good idea to discharge it further.

Let me offer a possible alternative, however: if you just need Techstream to read the stored DTCs in the ECM, you should be able to do that with the car in Ignition ON mode, rather than in READY. With the brake pedal released, press and release the power switch once to get to ACCESSORY mode, and a second time to get to Ignition ON mode; see the Owner’s Manual (PDF), page 164. A third press returns to OFF.

Ignition ON mode is similar to key-on/engine-off on a conventional gasoline car, and on a Prius, it causes the IG2 and EFI-MAIN relays to be closed, providing power to the ECM. The system main relays for the HV battery remain open, however, so the HV battery won’t be charged or discharged.

This also means the DC-DC converter won’t be recharging the auxiliary (12-volt) battery, so you may wish to connect a 12-volt battery charger to chassis ground (–) and the jump starting terminal (+) under the hood, making sure to get the polarity correct. (See Owner’s Manual pages 543-544 for the location; ignore the rest of the jump starting procedure.)

20. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has to be towed 50 miles to my nearest Toyota dealership service center. I never ever had to get the 09 Prius towed. So dont know for sure how to safely tow it. I will only contract a "tilt back" flat bed truck. Its way up in our carport. Its supposed to be possible to shift it into neutral from park after pushing start button twice w/o pushing brake. Then we have to push car back by hand abt 100 ft. For easy pickup by tow truck. But i hear that its very bad for transmission to move/ tow with front wheels on ground, and mg1 generates voltage back into the inverter. Is it safe for us to push it back 100 ft. With all 4 wheels on the ground?