1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System - Inverter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Dario Beltran, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Dario Beltran

Dario Beltran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Several weeks ago my car (Prius 2011) turned on the hybryd system check. With the help of several You Tube videos I took out the battery, checked the voltage of each module using a 20V bulb and all were well in the range of 7.7V and 7.8V. I reinstalled the battery on January 16, 2017 and ran perfect until the 4th of February that turned on again several lights and the check hybryd system. The car kept running without any problems except all the lights on. After reading several Prius chat I decided to buy an inverter in the junker (2013) and install it. At the end of the installation, again switched on all the lights with the check hybryd system and never start the engine. I thought that the junker inverter was more damaged than the original, so I placed the original again and this time it was the same as the one I bought in the junker. All lights on, with hybryd system check message and do not start engine. I checked the main switch of the hybrid battery several times to make sure it was connected because the first time I worked with the battery, that happened and I just pressed the main switch and that's it. I added the pink liquid to full level to the inverter reserve. I know you will ask me what code I got on the OBD2 and I have to tell you that I am about to buy one OBD2 soon (any suggestion of what to buy is welcome). I used the disconnection of the 12V battery method to clear codes. I know is maybe just a detail that I missed and that's why I can't turn on my car. Any ideas what else can I do to turn on my car?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be sure that you get an OBDII reader that can read Prius specific codes. Most will only read the engine and emissions codes and not the specific codes for the HV Battery and associated equipment.

Techstream is the gold standard and you can find the mini-VCI but you will need a laptop.

3. Dario Beltran

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got the following codes from OBDII: P0A09, P0A0D, U0110. Now with that information, any idea what's wrong with my car? Thanks

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    P0A09 - DC/DC Converter Status Circuit Low Input
    P0A0D - High Voltage System Inter-lock Circuit High
    U0110 - Lost Communication with Driver Motor Control Module

Most likely your orange Safety Switch is not closed properly. After rotating 90 degrees you have to slide it to lock it and to make the control switch.

5. Dario Beltran

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally got it. It was a plug with a lot of cables that the inverter has it at the left side, was not properly connected. I just opened a gray cover then connected and snap it. That was it. I'm running my car again. Thank you so much.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad you have it running again!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. fopoku2k2

fopoku2k2 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have got the same codes after swapping a new engine. can you give me a detailed instructions on how you fixed it?

8. Garyprius

Garyprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi i have the same problem U0110, that location of this plug with a lot of cables?

9. SirParker77

SirParker77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I've got the same problem, but the plug won't click into place on the new (used) inverter.
    Going to try putting the old one back on to test if it's a fault with the new inverter connection.
    Is there a special way to install this plug?
    Mine pushed in and the grey bar? Doesn't clip in and then the plug is loose.

10. SirParker77

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Just been out to the car and the harness doesn't clip into place as the grey clip has snapped, so not locking.
    Does anyone know what this is called to try and get a replacement?

11. SirParker77

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Just been out to the car and the harness doesn't clip into place as the grey clip has snapped, so not locking.
    Does anyone know what this is called to try and get a replacement?