1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System + Lights after traction battery change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FlyFast93, Feb 5, 2018.

1. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    QUESTIONS:
    - Any experience with A1DORMAN new hybrid batteries?
    - Any experience with codes below being related to other than the battery? Seems like there is a lot to the hybrid system, but local experts seem to think it really comes down to the battery

Car:2010 Gen 3 with 135k
    Location: Oahu, Hawaii (a long way away from Prius knowledge outside the dealership that is privately owned and expensive)

Already replaced hybrid battery twice (FALCON HYBRID "reconditioned" battery), still have lights and drivability issues. Warning triangle and "check hybrid system" are constantly on. Others are intermittent, with check engine light occasionally (needs to be cleared with OBD2). I am using ENGINE LINK with a Carista Bluetooth OBD adapter on an iPhone which seems to work well.
    Current Codes:
    P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
    P0AA6 - Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault
    C1259 - HV System Regenerative Malfunction
    C1310 - Malfunction in HV system

FALCON HYBRID has been zero help (I do not recommend using their batteries - at least for someone outside the area that cannot work with them in person).
    I have spoken with several shops on island (and had the codes read with techstream), and all say that their "troubleshooting" involves replacing the hybrid battery. My concern is that there is something else...what if the falcon hybrid battery is actually good?

I have had a difficult time finding any hybrid mechanics on Oahu. Today I found a single shop on island that seems to have good experience at least replacing hybrid batteries. They never use Dorman due to problems (NAPA sells Dorman, and even they told me to avoid this battery) . They also used to use Greentech, but stopped due to problems. They now use AICARDONE. This is a new battery ~ $2900 installed, with a 3-year parts warranty, and a 1-year labor warranty. I called the company, and they do not sell direct to consumers -- only to shops. The dealership is around $4500.

Thanks in advance for thoughts. Right now my car is an expensive yard ornament, and I am about to shove it into the ocean.

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dorman does not sell new hybrid batteries. All of their batteries are used repaired batteries, just like the Falcon ones. They tend to replace failed modules in a pack with other used modules. They do not generally take the time needed to balance and test the pack so they tend to be unreliable and, many times, need to be replaced during their warranty period.
    That quoted price seems awfully close to a new Toyota battery. The battery prices were reduced on January 1. My guess is you man need a new battery, not another gamble. It is difficult to tell without the freeze frame trouble codes.
    @TMR-JWAP, @2k1Toaster , @ericbecky and @Raytheeagle have worked some with Prius batteries. The may be able to advise further.

pilotgrrl, FlyFast93 and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    RockAuto.com sells reman A1-Cardone battery for about $1200.

If you have any intention of keeping the vehicle long-term, I highly recommend buying a battery from the Toyota dealer. Most of these reman batteries will barely last their warranty period. As the previous mentioned, the cost of the dealer batteries is dropping and list price on the hybrid battery for the Gen3 should be in the upper $2k range.

bisco, pilotgrrl and FlyFast93 like this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If I were in a remote locale, I would invest in the following:

• an old laptop
    • Hybrid automotive Prolong equipment
    • miniVCI J2534 cable so I could work on the battery myself;)

Failing traction batteries will be a reality until a brand new battery is put in:(.

But there are ways to combat that :).

Hope that helps (y).

DLC82SV, pilotgrrl and FlyFast93 like this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dorman does sell new batteries, just not for Toyota Products at this time.
    You might be a candidate for an aftermarket NEW replacement with cylindrical cells.
    Else a NEW from Toyota if they will sell it to you over the counter and you install yourself.
    Feel free to call me and discuss.

7. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a mistype -- the battery the local shop is using that is NEW is A1Cardone. Sorry for the confusion with "Dorman"

8. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you - I will check both. A1-Cardone stated that their warranty depends on which shop you buy through, so will check with RockAuto.
    I will also re-check with the dealership, but they recently quoted me $4500 for installation of a new traction battery. I did not verify, but the shop offering A1Cardone (new battery) with a 3-year warranty stated that the dealership batteries only have a one-year warranty.

9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, if you buy a Toyota battery & install it yourself it has a 1 year warranty. If the dealer installs it there is a 3 year warranty.

BTW, according to the manufacturer's site. the At-Cardone batteries are not new. They do not list new batteries.

upload_2018-2-7_9-31-40.png

from
    Hybrid Drive Batteries Remanufactured I CARDONE

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, it seems a bit confusing. The installation shop I spoke to specifically stated the batteries were new and they do not deal with any refurbished battery installs because they don't want the headaches of repeated failures. Seems like they have pretty good confidence in A1Cardone since they give 1-year free labor for swapping out a failed battery for warranty exchange.
    I called A1Carone and the gentleman was not super helpful. He used the term "remanufactured." When I asked him specifically he said the 28 batteries are NEW. It sounds like the battery comes complete on the metal base with bus bars, Hybrid Control Unit (?, little silver metal box), and relay panel (?, black box big orange cables plug into). So...maybe overall they call it remanufactured since all the parts are not new.

DLC82SV likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @2k1Toaster can comment further but, other than the one he offers, the only other new modules I have seen for Prius used cheap cells that, when tested did not meet their stated specification. The use the same brackets as those here.
    I would expect that Panasonic has a contract to only sell the new modules to Toyota.

12. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update -- just talked to A1Cardone (Steve - super nice guy, used to work at Toyota). They are REMANUFACTURED. He states they do have a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty and "see very few come back," credited to good maintenance practices, date stamping batteries, and quality control. Steve stated that NAPA and O'Reilly can order them (plus other shops). RockAuto has the battery for $1231.79 + $965.70 core charge.
    S&H to Hawaii....$195

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Be sure to google for a 5% off coupon code for Rockauto.
    I suggest getting a Toyota battery if you plan to keep your car....it is really your best option.

DLC82SV and Raytheeagle like this.
  14. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think your chasing the wrong rabbit. I think you should remove the two power cables from the battery and ohm the lugs to the cars chassis ground and to the shield. If you have a reading other than open you have an issue. Could be cable, could be transmission. But easy to check.

I also like the recommendation above for you to get set up with a copy of tech stream. Its not optional its mandatory. You may be able to wing it with another tool but you have an issue and I don't think its the battery. The laptop and cable will be the cheapest tool your going to find. You can run the software inside a virtual machine with a 32 bit operating system, or find an old laptop that has xp on it.

#14 borgestes, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    DLC82SV and FlyFast93 like this.
  15. borgestes

borgestes Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You also may need to use a megger instead of just a simple meter to ohm out the system. I bet you have something breaking down.. which is the p0aa6 hybrid battery voltage system isolation fault.

DLC82SV, FlyFast93 and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Stop doing this.

Stop doing this too. You can cheap out on parts... sometimes. The traction battery is not one of those times.

The lights come on for a reason. It's not a conspiracy. Mechanics are not out to get you. Either learn PROPERLY and DIY, or let the professionals do their job and stop hiding stuff from them. By choosing to DIY improperly with zero knowledge, rhyme, or reason, all you are doing is making things difficult for everyone involved.

DLC82SV and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. gregheadman

gregheadman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As previously stated Dorman batteries tend not to be very long-term solution I am on my second Dorman battery and it feels like it's getting ready to go again at the one-year mark from install buy a Toyota battery and chances are good if something hasn't been screwed up in the interim it will fix your problems. When the battery gets low it's just spits out so much shit you can't figure anything out. Good luck. If you like digging around buy a second used junk Prius and start swapping out the modules yourself? I guarantee you one thing you'll learn a lot and then you can open up your own shop on the island and help other people....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DLC82SV likes this.
  18. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is now a better option for those who are DIY. @2k1Toaster sells a kit of new cells for $1600 shipped and you get to sell your old modules that still have life. That is less expensive than a Toyota battery and better warranty than a DIY Toyota battery install. Hus link is in my signature here.

19. gregheadman

gregheadman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice thanks for the option

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

DLC82SV likes this.
  20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The downside is he has trouble keeping the kits in stock. He is growing his business very fast. @2k1Toaster works with rechargeable batteries in his day job so he knows how to choose quality battery cells.

DLC82SV likes this.