1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" ~ message after replacing auxiliary battery.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Jan 18, 2015.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Jumped into the Prius this morning to discover dash lights working, no radio etc so vehicle would not turn on. Replaced the auxiliary battery (about 5 years old.) Now all dash light, radio etc are looking great BUT:

- Enngine will not engage
    - Message stating Check Hybrid System
    - Various waning lights on dash (yellow waning triangle, swerve icon on left)(battery, brake, chech engine, steering wheel?) and abs!!!on the right)

So, for the most part everything looks good and seem to operate as normal (sounds, clicks etc). There were no signs of any problems even as recent as yesterday. Replacing the battery consisted of removing the main disconnect (large orange tab near aux and main battery in rear truck), disconnecting/reconnecting aux battery terminals on new battery, reinserting the disconnect tab. Onboard diagnostics (radio/flip light switch) all appear to be in good working order. No access to OBD II scanner at present. Double triple checked the connections - everything appears spot on.

Thinking this is something simple (reset switch somewhere, procedure to run through.) 2010 Prius v Gen 3, well maintained, 65k and Toyota Certified. Out of ideas, out of googling and research options.

Any ideas, direction, advice all appreciated. Thank you.

#1 PixelRogue, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Greater technical minds than mine will have better answers for you.
    I know when to step back.

My only question would be about timeline.

You say there were "no signs of any problems even as recent as yesterday"?

So how long ago did you replace the auxiliary battery? Or how long was everything working "fine" after you did replace it?

3. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Auxiliary battery had never been replaced (today was first time). Car was perfect last night. 10 hours later the issues started (this morning). Battery replacement went smooth.

#3 PixelRogue, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure why you disconnected the main hybrid battery disconnect (orange). I haven't read any instructions, but this seems like an unnecessary step. Take this with a grain of salt, but I believe I have read other reports of persons who have disconnected the hybrid battery and experience similar issues due to the connector not seating correctly on reinstall. You may want to look for the proper instructions / sequence for disconnecting/reconnecting the hybrid battery.

matt b. likes this.
  5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure the service plug is installed correctly. If it is not installed correctly, it could very well create the situation that is similar to the OP's problem.

Refer to the video below that shows how to remove and replace the plug. Warning: High Voltage is present. Be Advised.

IMO, it is not necessary to mess with the orange service plug when changing the 12 volt battery on the Prius.

Ashay likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was no reason to remove the hybrid battery plug, and that's likely your issue.

7. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, there was no need to disconnect the main; lesson learned. Issue was a little extra push of the cap to the right highlighted in the video. THANK YOU!!,!

ftl likes this.