1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check hybrid system message and car won't go

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Clbailey1963, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Clbailey1963

Clbailey1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was driving down the road and suddenly the car stopped. The check hybrid system light came on, and it wouldn't go forward or backward. I had to have it towed. Any idea what has happened? Is it included in extended warranty?

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you have the Platnium Toyota warranty do not worry, should be covered.

3. Clbailey1963

Clbailey1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do you know what it is? I don't know if I have Platinum. Maybe only drivetrain...

4. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry I don't really know but many things are covered under drive train and some are under the hybrid sytems which has some things covered for a lot higher miles. depending on where you are, out to about 7 years and 100,000 miles. I think in carb states it's 8 years and 150,000 depending upon what it is. I guess just wait to hear from your dealer to see what it is.

5. Clbailey1963

Clbailey1963 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let us know what you find out!
    Good luck!
    I think you will be just fine with warranty, unless you are really high in mileage. Just my guess however.

7. MKART

MKART Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you done your recall? Isn't this one of the symptoms of why they recalled it?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, it's just a bad 12v battery.(y)

9. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Yep, that sounds like the failure the recall is supposed to address.

10. OlblindMan

OlblindMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My wife's 2010 Prius died in a parking lot, Check Hybrid System warning, plenty of power to 12 volt battery (installed an Optimus about 2 years ago) but she won't start and I had it towed to the dealer.....

I am sort of glad this happened when it did as we are planning a long trip in a few weeks and I rather it break now then on the interstate. I have not seen any real answers to this problem on this site, and I am wondering if we can ever trust this car again. It only has about 39000 on it, and is garaged every night. At 7 years old, the hybrid battery should still be good, and if it isn't, I will get it fixed then dump it and never get another hybrid (or Toyota) again!

Any thoughts?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like your minds made up.

12. OlblindMan

OlblindMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, not really...my wife loves that car, but if it's going to die for an unknown reason in the middle of the road......it will be history. We have owned many Toys over the years, and have had very good luck with them. I am hoping that this problem can be diagnosed and repaired with out MAJOR cost. I am guessing the Check Hybrid system warning is similar to a check engine warning....with about 30 possible codes throwing it................

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct. that's the only way to diagnose it. could be the inverter pump, inverter ipm module, maybe something else. hope your covered!(y)

14. OlblindMan

OlblindMan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whatever it is, it will have to be repaired....my wife got some sort of extended warranty when she bought the car new, but I have no clue where she has the paperwork, or what is covered, or for how long.......

She told me right after the car died, that she felt like the brakes were not working right...is it possible the battery wasn't charging due to poor brakes?

Meanwhile, the dealer has the car since Wednesday night, and I have not heard a word................

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's more likely that something else is wrong and affecting the brakes. maybe give them a call. when you get towed in without an appt, you go to the end of the line.

16. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Obvious thing...check that your power pack interlock isn't loose. Shouldn't happen, but I did something, forgot to fully re-engage it, and I got the same issue.

17. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all the cases of Gen 3s that stop working suddenly and won't start again are due to IPM failure (in the inverter). Reading Priuschat for the past year and a half, I haven't heard of one that fails like that that isn't the IPM. If that is what it is, and assuming you are in the US, it will be covered under Warranty Enhancement ZE3 (15 years, unlimited mileage), so there would be no cost to you. You need to have done (or get done) Recall E0E, because they reprogram the car's computer to put less stress on the IPM. I haven't heard of a Gen 3 getting a second IPM failure, so you should be good to go after that.

Mark57, Raytheeagle and m.wynn like this.
  18. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I can confirm this. Two weeks ago my original battery failed after 7 years (2010 PII) and was only providing 11 volts which yielded all sorts of weird symptoms I won't go into here. Vehicle has 102,000, miles. Replaced with Toyoyta OEM battery and all was good. Coincidently, one week later, I powered up in the garage to see the dreaded check hybrid system error message. No start, no go. I first suspected battery but it was 12.9 volts. Pulled power overnight to attempt to reset and no go. My ScanGuage II did NOT see any codes. Crap! AAA membership provided free tow to the dealer.

I had already had the Safety recall E0E done and the dealer pulled a P3004 code. It was the IPM and they quoted me $2,939.75. I told him I'd read that part had a warranty extension to 15 years. After a lot of searching he found the Warranty Enhancement ZE3 notification and said it'd be NO CHARGE! Woo Hoo! All the parts were in town except for part of the kit. Two days later it was back home. I was very relieved.

m.wynn likes this.