1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System....message received

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by seat007, Oct 30, 2012.

1. seat007

seat007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello everyone,

I was driving my plug-in yesterday on the freeway and suddenly it alerted me the following:

Check Hybrid System
    Stop the vehicle in a safe place

I pulled over to the side and tried to reset the message (push power button 3x), but message still was coming up. With my Toyota dealership not too far away, decided to bring in my car to have it checked out.

After 2 hours with their hybrid tech, they were not able to replicate the message (of course, always the case), but the tech was able to catch a P0C3E error from their diag tool. Being that they could not replicate the issue, they released my car and stated to bring it back it the issue persist (geez, my luck).

Just wanted to reach out to my fellow plug-in owners to see if anyone else out there has experienced this issue.

Thanks!

Rav likes this.
  2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While driving in the highway @70mph I heard a beep, then
    'Check Hybrid System Stop the Vehicle in a safe place' warning light came up.
    Pulled over immediately.
    Called roadside assistance, towed to nearest dealer.
    Dealer pulled code #P0A3F .
    Reason I was provided was 'Electric motor drive cycle malfunction. They checked for corrosion on plug, no corrosion found. Toyota adviced Service manager to Clear Code and Redrive twice.
    Corrosion on the plug can be had because of protective coating they put on the plug. That was the reason service manager gave me, called toyota for further explanation.
    Spoke with 2 representatives from Toyota, both telling me to talk to Dealer's Service manager.

I drove 8 hours with 2 minor stop to attend my friend's wedding. Couldnt' make it in time because of this, missed the whole ceremony. This is not what I expect from Toyota, espcially being brand new.

Edit :
    quick google search says P0A3F is Drive Motor "A" Position Sensor Circuit

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/error-code-p0a3f-hybrid-warning-light.116646/#ixzz2AogNs9Wu

JMD likes this.
  3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From http://priuschat.com/attachments/2010-prius-dtc-codes-pdf.33416/, page 65
    DC / DC Converter Temperature Sensor "B" Range / Performance
    Implies potential problems in the following areas
    - Inverter cooling system
    - Cooling fan system
    - Power management control ECU
    - Inverter with converter assembly - Water pump with motor assembly - Wire harness or connector
    - IGCT No. 3 fuse

4. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    shades of the 1st generation Highlander Hybrid / RX 400h recall for the faulty Intelligent Power Module (IPM)??? hope not!

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have not taken mine at 75mph yet since it is still breaking in. Mine was manufactured on 5/2012. How about yours?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't had mine over 65, i'll have to check the date.

7. seat007

seat007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Greetings again,

Quick update....

Look like I received the message again 2 weeks back, but after pulling into my garage and waiting 5 mins (turn engine OFF/ON); message went away -_-

After thinking about it a little harder, I made a connection with the first occurrence. Realized that both times I received the error message, I recall the following:

- Driving freeway at 75+ MPH
    - Had approximately 1-2 miles left in the plug-in battery

So I am suspecting something is overheating because of the intensive MPH driving? Hence triggering the error message to come up? Just a theory.....

Hoping this issue is occurring for other owners, which will alert Toyota for a recall fix.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry to hear it, don't recall anyone else posting this issue, all the best!

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    P0C3E - DC/DC Converter Temperature Sensor "B" Range/Performance

That's the inverter that boosts the battery 208 V to motor at 500 V. Check the inverter fluid level.

Overheating at 75 mph is not normal. Take it to the dealer and make sure a hybrid technician look at it. The inverter is a very expensive part.

10. seat007

seat007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    usbseawolf2000, thanks for the tip!

I would think that Toyota's well trained/certified Hybrid technicians would have check this out. But there was no mention of it. All they did was run a diag and acknowledged the PoC3E error. Thereafter, the message disappeared and they didn't do anything further thereafter.

11. Jetsurgn

Jetsurgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had this fault come on while driving, and after charging the msg went away.
    I was in EV and going through 65 to merge onto the freeway when the msg appeared. I had about 8 miles of charge left.

12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Following.

13. Jetsurgn

Jetsurgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its been two days and my error code has not returned.

14. Jumpjet

Jumpjet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    that is the exact same situation which caused the exact same thing that just happened to me. pulled over and cycled the car a couple of times and the message remained. Continued 30mi to my destination with the msg on the screen. Cycled it again and it was gone.

So is there a good chance that the inverter is on its way out? The car has 11k miles

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would say no, based on the entire thread. i think there is a thread where someone's inverter went out early, not sure what the codes were. might want to run it by the dealer if it pops up again, trying to get rid of warning signs without knowing what's wrong is probably not your best option.

lensovet likes this.
  16. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Take it to the dealer. Even if the message is no longer there, the on-board computer should still have the last error stored in the system.

17. madredi5

madredi5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

We received the same on our 2012 with 8800 miles on it:
    Driving home from Church on a highway for a brief 2 miles, in EV mode, under 65mph with @5 miles left on the battery.
    Tried plugging it in and it did recharge completely but the message remained.
    We went online and requested a service appt. from our local dealer (who is not whom we purchased the PiP from.)
    Drove the car over yesterday using the drop box and by 11AM today had a call from the dealer that the car was ready.

Their service team traced the code - POC3E DC/DC Converter Temperature Sensor B Range/Performance
    Apparently the coolant level was low. They adjusted to specification.

Coolant levels should be checked every 5000 miles and that should be enough, but they said we could check the coolant levels more often when asked if there was anything we could do to avoid the same issue.

Couldn't be happier with the service from this dealer. We actually went to them first when ready to purchase our Prius in December, but they could not match a deal from a nearby state. Their sales team was very honest and low pressure. Had we not been set on the PiP we would have definitely purchased from them.

Data Daedalus and JMD like this.
  18. Jumpjet

Jumpjet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hopefully it's thats simple. I took mine to the dealer and they wanted the service tech to drive it home (his home) to keep it for a couple days to try to replicate the message. They were thinking about ripping the inverter out of the car to try to figure out the issue. So far it's happened 3 times.

19. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you lose air conditioning? That was the first hint of trouble several years ago when my 2004's inverter water pump went out. The inverter was shedding load to give priority to the drive.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  20. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I too have had several issues that Toyota could not replicate. Yes, it is annoying. But I make sure to have them log the issue for future reference.