1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" message w/ a good Ready/Start Light

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Parada, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,
    I usually dont have to post here as I usually find what I need.

I was driving in La traffic last night and I suddenly got the "check hybrid system" message along with the whole dash lit up. The car didn't shut off. It let me drive. I did notice the green light for "eco mode" wasn't going on, nor when I pressed any of the other options (EV,ECO, or PWR). This morning it started just fine. Got the ready and green light on the start button BUT with the "Check Hybrid system" AND the Yellow Triangle. It still allowed me to drive it. The Hybrid system seems to he normal as it charges when I brake and so on. Battery levels fill and drains.... I did "reset" the system and indicated on some threads posted here. I will take this in to the dealer but want to know if any of you have info on clearing this myself before taking in?

Any help is appreciated.

Prius III, 2010, 174k, never had major issues.

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did you get the chance to pull the codes? We'll know how to help troubleshoot with you.

3. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. No codes are given. I have no machine.

4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have machine, or take it to auto zone

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! We've heard reports that at least one Auto Zone can now read hybrid codes. But that was an isolated instance. AFAIK, the generic shops can only read generic codes. You can try A Z, but I wouldn't count on it.

6. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Autozone gave me this: P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not a good sign! :( There should be sub codes that tell you just what's wrong with the battery.

8. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No sub codes. Their description: "Code P0A80 indicates the PCM detected the difference in voltage between battery blocks in the Hybrid system was greater than the maximum allowable limit on two consecutive trips"

(Had to type this out)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You definitely don't want to clear codes, especially if there's a possibility warranty may apply. Or goodwill warranty extension from Toyota. Just leave it as-is, for the Toyota mechanics to have the full picture.

Uh oh...

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Im in Cali so the warranty is10yrs OR 150k. Im at 174k/7 years. Im wishing fore the best.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's still hope for some goodwill assistance from Toyota. As @Mendel Leisk said, don't clear the codes. And there are sub codes, no matter what AutoZone said. The dealer can read them. They will tell which cell or cells are bad, or if it's something else in the battery. Or lots of us here could as well if we were close by.

m.wynn, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Parada

Parada New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: Dealer confirm on the code. Replace Hybrid Battery. They want to charge me $3,700. They offered no additional help on resolving the issue.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check out the new aftermarket battery from one of our members here in colorado.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also, considering your location, there's got to be a lot of dealership nearby: get quotes from 'em all. Say blanket email all the service departments, and/or call.

Maybe first let the dealership you're working with now know you're going to check around: they might "sharpen their pencil" some...

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer. @bisco and @Mendel Leisk offer good ideas. You could also consider a nearly new used battery from a wreck, if you can find one. But, if you're putting 20k+ miles per year on it and plan to keep it, maybe new is better in the long run.

Parada likes this.
  17. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got through replacing my hybrid battery a 2nd time. Bought a "kit" from FALCON HYBRID. The kit comes in 3 separate boxes and you have to assemble the 28 battery pack. A bit challenging, but there are some techniques that definitely help after you have done it. The first battery they sent me lasted for only 3 months. Car has 132k (2010 model). This failure indicated only the P0A80 code for a while. I kept driving and using ENGINE LINK with CARISTA OBD adapter to monitor and performing resets / clearing codes. The pack continued to deteriorate until I had indication that two blocks were failing. Of note, the warning lights seemed to come on when the Vmax-Vmin exceeded 1 volt.
    Overall, changing the battery pack is not that hard. Takes me about 3.5 hrs total which includes assembling the 28 cells -- the lengthy part.
    I recommend ENGINE LINK for iPhone -- easy to use and good information with downloadable log.
    I am not sure how I feel about FALCON HYBRID -- why did their pack fail after 3 months? Also, their support has been very poor, with no instructions. They talk a great game on the sales side, but do not provide adequate support.
    I am driving the car again and I still have the ToD with "Check Hybrid System" but only codes in History -- nothing current. I think FALCON HYBRID told me that the car needed around 10 cycles to work the kinks out (sufficient charge/discharge times)....fingers crossed.

18. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are installing yourself anyway the $1600 kit of NEW cells from @2k1Toaster is an excellent choice. I believe Falcon, Dorman, Green Bean and others just build a battery of used modules, test, and sell. It will fail much sooner than new.
    2k1Toaster works with batteries for a living so he has sourced quality calls as proven by the experts and others that have tested them.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. FlyFast93

FlyFast93 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I visited the site and took a look. I wish I knew about 2k1Toaster sooner! For now, my $1400 to Falcon is a sunk cost and I will just hope it works out....a strategy based on hope is all I have now.

Interesting, my "Check Hybrid System" light is still on. Falcon Hybrid says it stays in history for some time so you don't reset the code and sell the car. Anybody know how long this stays around? I have about 120 miles on the car after the battery change now.

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two