1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Codyroo, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was trying to hook up my new Scan Gauge II to my car. I turned on the accessory (but not running the engine) and I had the "connecting" message on the scangauge display for a minute and then the scangauge shut down. I started the car up and started pushing buttons on the scangauge. Prior to the engine starting, I found I could play with the "More" buttons, so I shut the car off JUST as the engine was firing up.

Ugh.

I was worried that I'd get the engine knock event when I started up. I played with the scan gauge and got settings updated. I then went to start my car.

I got the rattle event (sounded bad) and then I got a message stating to
    Check Hybrid System.

I don't think I actually got the scan gauge to connect. I disconnect it from the port and now I'm asking for additional advice. The car does start (and I'm going to drive a couple of miles on it to see if it is fine.

How does one clear the "check hybrid system" error?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The first thing you need to do is have the car in Ready and then connect the ScanGauge so it can connect properly. Go through the Setup per the User's Manual.

After setup is complete, press the bottom right button for the menu. Press the top left button for Scan. This will scan for any stored DTC's and if any DTC's are stored you can read the stored messages and then try to clear.

It is all in the User's Manual :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK,

Some more information.

When I started up the car, I got the engine knock (again) and the display still read "Check Hybrid System". As I drove the car, the yellow triangle with the ! was on. When I pressed the Display key, I'd get my normal display for about 5 seconds and then it would read "Check Hybrid System"

Of note

The "ECO" light above the HSI would not display while driving.
    The engine did shut down after stopping.
    I did the scan and it displayed "no error codes". I checked twice.

I then did a "force erase" or some such command and the "Check Hybrid System" message went away and I got my normal HSI display.

The eco message now displays in the HSI mode.

OK, so far so good.

1 person likes this.
  4. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

how to "force erase"

i disconected my battery for moment...reconnected and now have check hybrid system warning all the time??

5. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 times switch car on and off. It will reset HS warning, if nothing else is broken.

1 person likes this.
  6. laki007

laki007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Press the power button to switch to accessory.
    2. Press the Power button and hold for 15 seconds and simultaneously push the brake pedal.

7. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

not workng for me!

8. Ragz

Ragz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just had the same warning, running the car with the ev/eco buttons unplugged. Start and shut off the car 3 times in a row as per PaJa.

9. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IS THERE sequence for this....cos not work for me!

anything speicial ...like screen display change
    really need help on this one..or i'll have to leave with dealer

and that's a pain

10. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the reset sequence doesn't work it will be something more serious -> visit a dealer, as I suppose you don't have OBDII interface and Toyota Techstream available. Without reading the diagnostic info it impossible to tell more.

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A brief update - No issues have presented themselves since my forced reset. The car is running well.

12. Chad's Dad

Chad's Dad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thank you, this fixed my car tonight.

I have 35,000 miles on my 2010 II. The only trouble I have ever had with the car was in very cold weather last year, I had a fast idle happen to me twice, but cycling the power and ECO buttons cured it.

Got in my car to dfrive it tonight after a cold snowy day in NE Ohio. Started my car and went to back out of the driveway and the Hybrid Sysytem message was on.

After finding this message, I tried the other post where somebody posted a reset, and it didn't help. Tried the three time start and shutoff that you posted, and it fixed it.

How much do I owe you? :)

13. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You guys are the best, I just wanted to pop on here real quick to say Thank You. This helped me. Just installed a Vais Tech iPod connection, and I powered on to test it without having the piece around the drive control plugged in. Got the message about "Check Hybrid System". Again, Thank you!

14. Ross_L

Ross_L New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM message on my 2013 Prius C, but this reset doesn't work. I thought the reset involved holding down the TRIP button during startup, but I can't get that to work either.

15. Hugh Higgins

Hugh Higgins New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine turned out to be the Inverter. A known issue I understand. Toyota extended the warranty for the Inverter. Repair is fully covered for me.