1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System, P0A78, cost?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BoosterTutor, Dec 5, 2017.

1. BoosterTutor

BoosterTutor New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Ok, so I have a Used 2013 Prius C with 89,000 miles on it. Just paid it off and this happens.

Sorry, I know "Check Hybrid System" is common on here but I just need some idea of what it could be/cost.

Ok, car drive fine, drive home and parked, doors wouldn't auto lock so I tried to start the car and the battery is dead. I buy a Aickar 800A Peak 19800mAh Car Jump Starter and jump start it. That's when the "Check Hybrid System" comes on.
    I get a new 12 V battery, same thing.

The car with start, engine comes on but sounds rough. Car will not reverse, I can put it in reverse but it won't move when I hit the gas. Can put it in drive but it barely moves, kind of stutters and I didn't feel safe trying too much. When I turn it off the engine shakes when it powers down.

I got the codes and there was only 1 shows up P0A78 "Motor Drive A Inverter Performance".

So, is this covered under the 100,000 battery warranty? I'm guessing not but hoping so.

I read there was a recall for inverters but when I checked my vin is said I had 0. So I'm guessing the place I bought it from alreay did it?

Am I just looking at $4,000 like I've read about? Cause I just don't have that much right now. Or could it be something cheaper (fingers crossed)?

Any help is very much appreciated and if you need anymore info I'll do my best to answer. Thank you

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds like an unfortunate situation for you. I don't know the rules for the hybrid warranty and second/third owners, but perhaps the best way to find out if it's covered under a warranty is to get it checked at a reliable dealership?

I know one thing for certain, if parts get messed with and opened up/replaced and then you get it checked at a dealership, it definitely will not be covered.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a copy of the 2013 warranty book. Page 14 says inverter in covered.

Attached Files:

BoosterTutor and m.wynn like this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    On a 2013 Prius c, code P0A78 should be reported only with one or more three-digit INF (information) codes. If your scan tool can’t read INF codes, you’ll need to scan the car again with one that does, such as a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, or just take it to a Toyota dealer for diagnosis. @TMR-JWAP gives sound advice about not attempting your own repairs before seeking warranty service.

The Warranty & Maintenance Guide says, “Warranty coverage is automatically transferred at no cost to subsequent vehicle owners,” so don’t worry that you bought the car used, as long as it’s within the time and mileage limits for hybrid system warranty coverage.
    It’s hard to offer more specific advice without knowing which INF codes your car has reported.

Toyota’s Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com and from the ChiltonLibrary service, to which your local public library sponsors free access for its patrons, gives detection conditions and troubleshooting procedures for each INF code. For some INF codes, the trouble is likely to be in the inverter with converter assembly, but for others, the manual says the trouble could be elsewhere:
    • Cooling fan system
    • Frame wire
    • Hybrid battery junction block assembly
    • Hybrid vehicle transaxle assembly
    • Inverter cooling system
    • Inverter with converter assembly
    • Motor cable
    • PCU fuse
    • Power management control ECU
    • Service plug grip (EV battery fuse)
    • Wire harness or connector
    As @TMR-JWAP kindly mentions, the hybrid system warranty covers some of the more expensive parts, like the inverter and transaxle assemblies, and the labor to replace them.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    iirc, another member with that warning just needed a cooling fan cleaning. or maybe just a clogged intake grille, i forget.

6. BoosterTutor

BoosterTutor New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Well just dropped it off at the dealership. Hopefully I'll find out in a few days. Noticed a smell of rotten eggs in the car that wasn't there the other day.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please let us know the outcome, all the best.(y)