1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check hybrid system" -- rodents chewing on wires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by velcro, Feb 19, 2018.

1. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2011 Prius had the "check hybrid system" warning come up on the dash a month ago, and after some diagnostics at the dealership -- which included musing that rodents may have gotten in and chewed on wiring -- they decided that the auxiliary battery needed to be replaced, so we did that and everything seemed fine until a few days ago.

I hit a little bump (to call it a pothole would be a stretch) going 35, and "check hybrid system" reappeared. I drove it straight to the dealership, which was luckily nearby. They ran diagnostics and just called me to say they need to run five more hours of diagnostic work and are back to suspecting the rodents. I'm wondering if the auxiliary battery really needed to be replaced, if chewed wires are actually the problem.

Anyone have any thoughts to help me decide whether they're pulling the wool over my eyes, and what to do about it? I plan to ask to see the damage myself, if they say it was rodents. When I took it in this most recent trip, I had just assumed something hadn't been installed securely and was knocked loose. I know I'm at a disadvantage, not knowing enough about my own car's hybrid system here.

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Rodents eating the wiring harness can indeed total a Prius.

My dealership warned us about that.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Start by requesting the trouble codes they pulled, and post here.

No way to know on the 12v, but 7 years was a good run.

Danny3xd and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, might be worth checking all 3 battery connections.

velcro likes this.
  5. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. They had initially said there were no error codes that could come up because the check engine light wasn't on. Would they be able to get them some other way? Apologies for my cluelessness.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It might be time to try a second dealership; that's a bald lie. For now I guess: they're the devil you know. But bear in mind they're bs'ing you.

All the talk about meeces, you could do a little fishing yourself. Just check things with a good light, and if no evidence, maybe then get serious about a second opinion.

Danny3xd likes this.
  7. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess what I mean is...is it possible they couldn't get them initially when I was standing at the counter waiting, but would be able to get them later by running a different diagnostic check? I could have the car towed to another dealership, but that's cost in time if not money, and I'm already in for the diagnostic fees at this place, unfortunately. Thanks for the reply.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would check myself if I could at the moment! :/ It's at the dealership, and I'm at work. As soon as I'm able, of course I want to look myself. I wish it had occurred to me before I drove it in this time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had an old MG and critters had chewed just enough of the wiring that stuff worked but was in and out over rough roads.

Just say'n and do not know if that is your gremlin.

Very often there is no one cause or silver bullet. Would be good to get a second opinion . But that's gonna make you insane as it will be invariably something else,....

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, 'check hybrid system' is a clogged cooling fan. have you noticed any symptoms at all?

Mendel Leisk and Danny3xd like this.
  11. Danny3xd

Danny3xd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes!

Wut BMan said...

(Learned that the hard, terrified way)

"Bump" though?

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  12. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, I haven't noticed any symptoms driving, but I also have never checked that out specifically.

13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It appears to me, its something related to a partial contact or so. As long as you go through potholes, the light comes on! Might be time to check the tiny wires close to the service switch.

Its located by the left side of the truck, where the service switch is.

InShot_20161206_102422.jpg

Danny3xd likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree^^^ did you check the 12v wiring as i mentioned in post #4?

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial, did you mean to say right side, anyway, in this vicinity?

upload_2018-2-20_8-13-35.png

16. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Where the service switch is located rather. You've a tiny wire that links the body of the car as ground, and connected to a portion of the battery ECU.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. velcro

velcro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, all. Got the car back from the dealership and had gone ahead with what they said was the repair needed -- the way their diagnostic fee system works, agreeing to that cost less than just taking it elsewhere :/

Here's what they told me: "Scanned for codes, found communication codes stored in power steering ECU and brake control module U0129. Found fuse IG2 blown. Replaced fuse and inspected wiring, removed left-hand side of instrument panel and located a short to ground in the remote start circuit that was blowing the fuse. Repaired wire and relocated wire."

If I notice more problems, I'll still check out some of the other things you all have noted, as I can. I'll definitely be checking for signs of rodent damage, now that I know that's a common problem. I didn't get to speak personally with the mechanic yet to know if he actually saw signs of rodents or if that was just an initial guess.

They bent the heck out of that panel to the lower left of the steering wheel, though, so if anyone knows any tips for getting that back into shape -- or suggestions for hybrid repair shops in Columbus, Ohio, that aren't dealerships, for next time! -- I'm all ears. This has been helpful.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anyway, rodents leave evidence, no evidence no rodents, glad it was an electrical gremlin rather than a gremlin.
    Also glad the dealer was good, many aren't.

Dxta likes this.