1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check hybrid system troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tjohnson329, May 23, 2023.

1. tjohnson329

tjohnson329 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have a 2010 toyota prius with 360,000 miles on it. I recently got the check hybrid system lights with check engine light etc. I couldnt read the codes with a normal OBD2 scanner but was able to reset all the codes with it, this action cleared the check hybrid system error. I have been reading on the form about the error possibly being the battery is dead. I ordered a OBD2 scanner that works with DR prius software to check the battery and see where it is at. but in the mean time I cleared the error and drove with the windows down, ever since then i have logged 250 miles in 2 days (i drive 80miles one way to work), with no error. I am starting to thing it is possibly the battery fan, does anyone have a way of checking if the fan is ok? any input is helpful.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you really want to open the fan up, check for cleanliness, and inspect the plug for corrosion.

you can check if it comes on with a tissue on the intake vent.

i would get the codes read with tech stream if the lights come back on. i don't think opening the windows will cool the battery

3. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check hybrid system is super general, it could be many different things. Did the car have any actual symptoms? I think the Dr. Prius app is a good idea. I like Hybrid Assistant myself if you have an android. You could use it to test your fan and monitor your charge and temps. You really just wanna get the trouble codes and go from there, no sense in guessing at this point. For that I'd recommend Torque (again, if you have an android) as a cheap option. You'll probably need to wait for the light to come back on, but I'd run a scan anyways. Definitely don't clear it again without figuring out what it is.

Brian1954 likes this.
  4. tjohnson329

tjohnson329 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just got the OBD2 reader and read the battery code P0A80. Seems like its the battery, going to perform the battery test with DR prius. Where is the cheapest place to buy a prius battery now of days?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cheapest, or cheapest reliable?

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. TWOPrius

TWOPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    HELLO. 2011 PRIOUS. POSTIVE HYBRID

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hello! :)

8. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Several places sell the cylindrical packs. Here is a great video on how to install them.

The Project Lithium, for the newer lithium packs, are unfortunately sold out for at least a month from what I've seen. But these are about as good.

9. TWOPrius

TWOPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota did the Campaign on my 2011.. And it went back next day. Then they replaced the inverter