1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Check Hybrid System) warning came on!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Keith Carrizales, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Keith Carrizales

Keith Carrizales Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2011 Prius.

The Check Hybrid System warning came on (which also flashes Check PCS) in the middle square. Also the yellow triangle with an exclamation point (left side) , The yellow check engine light, and the yellow pcs warning light (on the right). None of the hybrid modes (eco,ev, pwr) work, but the car still drives.

What are your thoughts on what this might be. Please don't just tell me I need to get it checked. I know I do, and I will. For now I am just brainstorming possible problems until I can get it into the shop.

Have any of you experienced this before? If so what became of it? Is it dangerous to keep driving it?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It could be the 12v battery low, inverter, brake booster, hybrid battery, an abs speed sensor, one of two water pumps, hv battery fan, etc etc etc. You need a capable code scanner and a voltmeter to guess with any confidence. Others will cross the line and suggest having it checked. Not me.

ThePrius11 and RachaelH like this.
  3. PTS

PTS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It might a misfire in cylinder 1. Maybe a bad brake pump excessive time alarm.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just drive it (y)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If we can't say have it checked, then a code scanner would be cheating.

ThePrius11 and Grit like this.
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes. The inverter failed. Light show. Another time the brake booster failed. Disappointing. I had a 300 pound feral pig bounce off the fender. Body shop stock went up. Does that count?

Forgot one of the cheap guesses. Maybe the body shop forgot to plug in a cable.

Next time provide a nugget or two to aid our prognostications. Like - Did it run fine for a few days after you picked it up or were the warnings up immediately? Any noises or functions not working? Does it run great except for those annoying lights? Were you in a hail storm? What's your opinion of open carry without a permit?

7FA616EE-3D05-4383-B02F-BF25F38A4310.jpeg

#6 rjparker, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    RachaelH likes this.
  7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You probably need a new hybrid battery, since you have a 10 year old Prius. Buy a new factory battery from Toyota. Call a local dealership for the cost, including installation. Good luck.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not allowed to say have the codes read, but that would be a more fiscally prudent strategy than running with any of the expensive guesses served up so far.

Grit likes this.
  9. PTS

PTS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Since I am a fellow Austinite, "Keith, get your act together and get the codes read". If $125 at the dealer scares you, check with Bearden Automotive, an independent shop that specializes in Toyota. They replaced my inverter.

10. RachaelH

RachaelH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had a fireworks display of lights on my dash for a while now and it never occurred to me that the javelina I hit might be to blame

(I live in AZ, home to open carry w/o a license and feral pigs in the wash)