1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System, Warning Lights, No Power

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Carla B, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Carla B

Carla B New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2010 Prius, base mode, about 75K miles, 12 volt battery replaced exactly 3 years ago.

Didn't drive it for 2 days due to cold weather - was in driveway in snow. Attempted to drive yesterday, the engine started, but it would not drive or reverse. Absolutely no power.

I looked at the dash and noticed "Check Hybrid System" and all the warning lights (skid indicator, yellow triangle, ready light, brake system, etc) were all illuminated. Radio works, heat works, lights work, cabin lights work, horn works, etc., but the car has no power and will not engage in any gear. Engine starts every time, sounds a little rough, then revs up, idles roughly. I tried it again this morning, same result.

My dilemma - it will cost me $430 to tow it to the nearest dealer (70 miles away) or $100 to tow it to my local mechanic. There are a number of serious issues responsible for this that could be covered by warranty, but only at the dealer. My hybrid battery is still under warranty (10 years/150K miles), if that's the problem, or it could be the IPM which is covered under an extended warranty, and there is another computer update to the Hybrid system that needs to be done.

If the problem is the result of mice chewing on electrical or needing a new 12 volt battery, then, I'd have spent $430 instead of $100 to have it towed to the dealer and not have any warranty coverage. Could this really be the result of needing a new 12 volt battery? I understand the hybrid system battery is what starts the engine (and not the 12 volt) so, if the engine starts every time could this it be the result of a bad hybrid battery as was suggested to me by the dealer?

Would a OBD11 scanner device by helpful in this case? Is there a cheap one I can buy at my autoparts store? I'm a complete newbie at this - how difficult would it be a for a complete novice to figure this stuff out?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very easy, buy the cheapest one at walmart that read codes. Connect scanner to car, put car in ready, quickly begin scanning for codes on scanner. Bring the codes here, we'll help you what to do next.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the battery cooling fan

4. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Check your battery voltage

5. Carla B

Carla B New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your instructions. I bought the $20 Walmart reader and scanned for codes this morning. It comes up with 6 codes, but they are the same 2 codes:

P0A40 $07EA 1/6 Generic: Drive Motor A, Position Sensor, Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A41 $07EA 2/6 Generic: Drive Motor A, Position Sensor, Circuit Low
    P0A40 $07EA pd 3/6 Generic: Drive Motor A, Position Sensor, Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A41 $07EA pd 4/6 Generic: Drive Motor A,Position Sensor, Circuit Low
    P0A40 $07EA 5/6 Generic: Drive Motor A, Position Sensor, Circuit Range/Performance
    P0A41 $07EA 6/6 Generic: Drive Motor A, Position Sensor, Circuit Low

Any advice on these codes?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll let grit decipher that mess

7. Carla B

Carla B New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, I read the codes with the accessory power on the Prius, but not the engine turned on. Would it give more codes if I started the engine?

8. Dossett3

Dossett3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes

9. Chuba

Chuba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have this same issue now. How did you finally fix it?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Must use a multimeter and diagnose the motor resolver issue.