1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Check Hybrid System" Warning Screen

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Crabtech, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys! First time poster...

So I was working on installing a custom stereo system in my new Prius C. I had the main 12V battery removed for awhile. I put everything back together and now I get an error screen when I go to start the vehicle:

CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM
    STOP THE VEHICLE IN A
    SAFE PLACE IMMEDIATELY

Vehicle will not go into ready mode and is undriveable but all electronics turn on and work. Some research on the limited amount of Prius C information so far has shown that disconnecting the 12V battery may cause this screen to show up. Also that some installers have bumped into the orange connector on the hybrid battery and this will also cause the error screen to show up. Here is what I have tried so far:

+Cycled ignition on and off multiple times (I believe they said it was 3 times for original Prius would clear this screen, no luck)
    +Checked voltage on 12V battery: measures 12.3VDC under load (vehicle in start mode) and also not under load (vehicle off)
    +Checked that orange plug on hybrid battery is properly inserted
    +Checked for Check Engine Light (CEL) codes, none
    +Checked in the factory owners manual (said call Toyota dealer immediately, no further details)
    +Called Toyota dealer, said they don't know and to tow it in (no help)

I should also mention the entire interior has been removed. I made sure all essential plugs are back in, only thing not connected is the passenger seat and light for the trunk (shouldn't impact driveability as I drove it like this before no problem). Problem showed up after I disconnected the 12V battery.

I suspect there is a reset procedure to get it out of this lockdown mode but I can not find it listed anywhere nor does anyone I've talked to knows what it is. Either this or 2. I blew something up or 3. Something is still disconnected somewhere despite my searching.

Any help (besides telling me to take it to the dealer) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12.3 under load for the battery is a little low... Maybe charge your battery a bit? Also does this problem occur when your new stereo isn't drawing power/isn't connected? I've read on here about people having problems with the MFD after installing aftermarket stereos because the stock stereo is sending specific signals to the MFD that need to be bypassed by 1) adding a specific resistor to a specific wire, or 2) keeping the stock stereo connected and stashing it under the seat. Hope some of this helps...

3. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking about a lighter battery so if I swap mine out this will also occur? Strange because what if people need to change the 12v battery when it goes bad?

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lighter battery? It's really small and light already... Going smaller is going to make the car more likely to not work properly... But as for replacing a 12 volt, it's no big deal other than maybe having to cycling your car on and off a few times to get everything running again... You also have to reset your clock and radio preferences as well (at least on '07 Prius) and you have to hold passenger side window button all the way up and all the way down to get it to run in automatic with just one push again.

5. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Ok I left the battery on a trickle charger for 4 hours and now the battery measures 13.15 VDC. Warning light still shows up. I even tried just for fun disconnecting the battery for awhile to reset and reconnecting, still no luck.

I don't have any fancy stereo equipment hooked up (yet) besides just the new head unit. I'm not sure that the MFD would be an issue since I got the Prius C Two which does not come with factory navigation. Also the aftermarket head unit was installed in this car for about a month prior to this incident so I would think if it was a problem that it would have shown up then. But I'm willing to try anything at this point.

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I guess if you haven't tried putting the old stereo back in to see if that gets it running? If that solves the problem you'll probably be able to track down a solution from your car stereo manufacturer or a reputable installer who's already worked on Prius C.

7. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would disconnect radio first and if that didt help check fuses.

8. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They make Li-Ion or Dry Cell batteries that have the same capacity but are lighter. Just a nut about further improving things like weight or handling when I can.

PriusCamper likes this.
  9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How can I learn more about who makes these batteries? Do They make both HV and 12v batteries? Maybe you have some links?

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Often times people remove the high voltage interlock and do not install it correctly causing Prii not to ready. I have not come across a Prius c interlock yet but if it were a Gen II I would tell you to make sure to slide the lever after flipping it back.

ars777, AQUA-K, JMD and 2 others like this.
  11. priusCpilot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    PriusCamper likes this.
  12. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Update: I put the factory radio back in, still giving warning message. I will try checking fuses.

13. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here are some pictures of the high voltage interlock. I am pretty certain it is installed correctly...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dave77 likes this.
  14. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looks like you need to slide the lever up.

Vit@liy and PriusCamper like this.
  15. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Avi's.

This is a photo of the service plug on my 2011 Two, rotated to match your photo.
    See how the lever extends above the plug body.

Service Plug.JPG

16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So Crabtech, did that work? Are you back on the road?

17. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe Crabtech needs some time to cool off before answering? By the way, I learned this by doing it myself.

18. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the late reply. Since my Prius wasn't moving I decided to strip it and sound dampen everything:

[​IMG]

I just finished putting it back together last night and pushed the plug up as depicted in the picture above. Now engine would start but would still give the warning screen! So I cycled the ignition a few times and the screen cleared!

Its interesting since I don't recall bumping that switch and it isn't intuitive that it locks in like that unless you see a picture of someone elses. Thanks guys for the help!

PS: However a new problem showed up:

[​IMG]

Code pops up immediately after being cleared so its not a one time deal apparently. I'm probably going to start a new thread for this one unless someone has an answer right away...

19. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Probably unplugged EVAP sensor.

20. Crabtech

Crabtech Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model: