1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dgarcia001, Mar 3, 2021.

1. dgarcia001

dgarcia001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone,

The last couple of weeks the acceleration was lagging a little during the battery portion of the acceleration process. I turned the car on today and all of these lights came on at the same time (minus the tire sensor, that's been busted for a while). The car was operating okay earlier today. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes. Don't try to read tea leaves over how the car felt the last couple weeks ... just read the trouble codes the car is giving to tell you what issue(s) it is reporting.

3. dgarcia001

dgarcia001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did the paperclip method and got the following.

Master Warning Light: On
    Slip Indicator Warning Light: 51
    Brake System Warning (Yellow Indicator): 58

Tire Pressure: 21 (The sensors are off the tires, don't think it has anything to do with problem above)

Constant Flickering:
    SRS Warning Light
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (Check Engine)
    Electric Power Steering System Warning Light
    ABS Warning Light

If anyone knows these codes please share.

Thank you!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    VSC light /51 = C1310 = brake/skid ECU is aware of a code set in the Power Management Control ECU, need to go read that code.

ECB light /58 = C1259 = another brake/skid ECU code that means please read Power Management Control ECU codes.

These codes get set in the brake ECU because it needs to know when the Power Management Control ECU is having issues, so the brake ECU knows it will be on its own to slow the car, possibly without help from regen.

Regrettably, there isn't a blinkenlights method for getting Power Management Control ECU codes. That will have to be done using a scan tool that knows what ECUs are in a Prius.

5. dgarcia001

dgarcia001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One of my buddies has an OBD reader and lent it to me. He was able to pull the following code: P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack... He cleared the code one March 4th and the car hasn't had any issues since.

Prior to getting this code, I used a lift kit from Priusoffroad - Prius Offroad, Lift Kits and installed it myself. I also did the break and rotor job a few months back. I have some noise coming from brake pedal, like a pumping hissing noise. Not sure what it could be and unsure if its related.

6. John1990

John1990 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone know how to clear the codes for the "Check Hybrid System" warning? I'd like to a reset and see if that solves the problem before spending $350 at the dealer for them to diagnose.

7. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You should not reset the trouble codes until you have read them. The trouble codes will tell you what the car has detected, which will help you fix the problem. After retrieving the codes and writing them down, you can clear them and see if they return again.

#7 Brian1954, Mar 31, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024