1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by NICE PRIUS BRO 42069, Apr 28, 2021.

1. NICE PRIUS BRO 42069

NICE PRIUS BRO 42069 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hello all, I've gotten the dreaded hybrid system on my 2012 Prius C.
    The first time I got this error I was on the freeway and made it safely off. The first thing I did was have the 12-volt check which came back as needing replacing. So I went ahead and bought a new 12 volt and put it in. Once I did that all the errors cleared and the car became driveable again for about 50 miles and then it happened again. I went ahead and got an OBD to check codes and codes came back

P3190
    P0A0F

Which from what I understand can be a variety of things.
    Some other notes to be aware of.
    Has 104,000 miles on it
    I cleaned the battery air fan behind the seat didn't even realize this needed to be clean especially having a pet and I found a pancake of hair and dust.
    The car is do for an oil change but when I check the oil it doesn't seem to be low.
    I know these codes can be sometimes tied to low fuel which when I think about it the car broke down both times at the same amount of gas left in the tank but as far as I know the gas gauge has been somewhat faulty when I have filled up before it would never register the top bar. But haven't had any issues with it emptying and feel this might be more of a coincidence.

Thinking of just finally taking it to have someone look at it but I'm hoping it's not the main ev battery.

C Wagner likes this.
  2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    P3190=Poor Engine Power
    P0A0F=Engine failed to start. (should have subcodes in freeze frame data that can help you determine why it failed to start....maybe a subcode 533 or 534?, but could also be a 204, 205 or 238)

Has nothing to do with the HV battery.

Sometimes 1 + 1 really does = 2. I think you've likely already answered your own question, but just don't believe yourself.

I know these codes can be sometimes tied to low fuel which when I think about it the car broke down both times at the same amount of gas left in the tank

Perhaps your fuel gauge is not only off at the top of the scale, but also at the bottom?

Could also be a really dirty throttle body/throttle body plate sticking.

#2 TMR-JWAP, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. NICE PRIUS BRO 42069

NICE PRIUS BRO 42069 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Yeah so I went ahead and put gas in the car cleared the codes and started right up . I feel foolish that it took this long to just realize that the gas gauge is faulty but glad to know that this is all it is

Thanks!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe gas up more often?

C Wagner likes this.
  5. C Wagner

C Wagner Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Foolish would only be letting it happen again now that you understand it. The earlier stuff was learning and becoming educated.

Pri3C likes this.