1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check Hybrid System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hans Martin, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Hans Martin

Hans Martin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My cousin borrowed my 2010 Prius the other day and it ran out of gas. I wasn’t home so I just got my insurance company to tow it to my home. A few days later I came home, disconnected the and charged the 12v battery. It then started and ran for a couple of days. As I was driving it the other day, the yellow triangle with the “Check Hybrid System” warning came on and I took it straight home. I ordered an OBD2 scanner and will try to read the error code. Any tips on how to debug? And should I plan to buy a new or refurbished battery?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the 12v battery needed a charge the last time, I would certainly measure the voltage now to ensure you had at leat 11.5v, ideally between 12.2 and 12.7vdc. If it is too low charge again or replace.

About all you do prior to a good scan would be to disconnect the 12v battery and try again. Be aware most low cost scanners will not completely scan a Toyota hybrid system.

Have you touched the orange high voltage battery disconnect or attempted a car to car jump start? Two frequent scenarios include the failure to complete the high voltage reconnect properly followed by a momentary reversed polarity jump start blowing fuses.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Trade in the cousin for cash then look up the cel codes before buying a whole new battery

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    None better than what you're already doing. Please update the thread when you have the code(s).

What scan tool did you order? It's important that it be one that can read the hybrid system codes in a Prius. Otherwise, it might just tell you there aren't any codes.

5. Hans Martin

Hans Martin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay. As I was plugging in the OBD scanner and ran a few tests I received code “P0A2D”. Then all of a sudden my car dash started slowly going dark and all kinds of lights started flashing plus my interior lights were slowly dimming.

It just happens that I have 2 2010 Priuses. So I took the working 12v battery from the other car and put it in the failing car. Check hybrid light is now gone. I drove around for over 30 mins and it is not coming back. I’ll be charging the empty battery and will see if it stays charged after putting it back in.

Now back to the hybrid battery part - I downloaded Dr. Prius app and bought the testing package. I ran the life expectancy test as well as the full battery test, and here are some results. As you can see the battery is at the end of its life - what should I expect from it at this point? I was hoping not to spend a lot of money on this car, but I’ll think about buying a refurbished battery.

Also the full battery test was a bit inconsistent, sometimes good, other times it showed some failing blocks. Not sure what to make of that?

Attached Files:

6. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base