1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check PCS system/Check hybrid system after dealer service

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by thomassurdi, Jan 21, 2019.

1. thomassurdi

thomassurdi Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok long story so bear with me. I recently got a random check PCS system error and Orange triangle on my 2010 gen 3 with 173,000 miles. The code I found with my techstream was abnormal leak in accumulator, so I had it repaired at the dealer at no cost under the extended warranty program for that issue. They installed a new brake booster and pump assembly and did a brake flush. The car seemed to be driving fine for a day and half and maybe 100 miles of ubering, when suddenly I noticed that the ICE would not shut off at stop lights. I pulled into a Burger King and let it idle for a while, but the engine would not shutoff. I turned off the car off and got a bite, and when I drove off the car seemed to be fine for 20 miles or so when suddenly I got a triangle and check PCS system, and Check Hybrid system errors. The car was still driving fine so I carefully drove it home and found the following codes,
    B2090 LCC/LKA/PCS system malfunction
    C1A40 ENG/EHV device
    C1259 HV control system regenerative malfunction
    C1310 HV system malfunction
    P0A80 Replace hybrid battery pack
    C1657 Hybrid Powertrane Control Module
    C1659 Brake system malfunction.
    Just to make sure I hadn’t killed the 12V I disconnected it and brought it to Auto Zone to have it tested and it tested fine (it’s not that old anyway.) then In the morning I went to try the car again and the the errors were gone from disconnecting the battery. I had not cleared them with the techstream. The car drove fine and the warnings were gone, so I decided to go back to work. I worked 3 full nights and drove over 300 miles before the same thing happened. Check PCS system/Check hybrid system. I pulled over and disconnected both terminals of the battery, started the car, and both codes were gone, so I drove it home. I suppose I could do this every time it happens but there must be something wrong and I have no idea where to start because there are so many codes. Any idea what could be causing this? I guess I should take it back to the dealer because it’s happening after a service that they performed, but I don’t want them to charge me a diagnostic fee.

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should check the voltage at the jump points under the hood after the car has been sitting for some time. Just pop the hood when you are getting out and you can lock up the car and check it later at your convenience. This way if you have a poor wire or connection it will show up. What are you using to check the codes?

3. thomassurdi

thomassurdi Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I’m using a techstream and an old laptop. I brought the 12v battery to an auto parts store after it had been sitting al night to have it tested and they said it was fine. It should be tbh because it’s only a year old. My next step was to bring the car back to the dealer which I did a few days ago. They kept the car over ugly and had the service firmena look at it. He said the hybrid battery is bad and they quoted me $3200. It makes sense because of the P0A80 code and because the engine is running constantly now. My gas mileage was down around 41 mph last week so I assume the engine was kicking on more often due to the hybrid battery having a hard time kicking on and taking over. I have a guy coming up in a couple days to swap my battery with a reconditioned one for $1000 with a 1 year warranty. I figure if it’s still good after one year it should last another 2 or 3. I still don’t know why I got the check PCS system warming, and it does seem like an odd coincidence that the battery went bad a few days after having the brake booster replaced, but if it’s bad it’s bad. The car is passed it warranty so I’m just gonna note the bullet.

4. AndrewR

AndrewR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Tell the dealer. They must check and recheck if they are a trust worthy dealer. Report them to toyota corp if they give you push back

5. thomassurdi

thomassurdi Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They did the diagnostic for free and the only thing they said was that it seemed the hybrid was having trouble taking over hence the ICE staying on constantly. The guy who is selling me the battery said that’s a feature of a failing battery. It’s just strange that it happened right after a brake service and firmware update that they performed. I don’t see how anything they did could cause the battery to suddenly fail though, so I guess it was on its last legs anyway.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be worth checking for corrosion before replacing. tech stream will show you the variances under load