1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check your Cabin Air Filter Today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, May 5, 2006.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MiamiPrius @ Jul 19 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]288774[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you much for the word, i went to the site and placed my order to with free shipping ;)

2. azw

azw New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Jul 26 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]292941[/snapback]</div>
    MrBigH, did those filters from https://www.autohausaz.com/ work for you? It looks like a great deal.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have to say if you have allergies or anyone in your family does replace the cabin filter every oil change! It makes a big difference. My Prius in now a sanctuary in a allergenic world! I may need to buy my allergist a bottle of good wine for this advice. It has made a big difference in my allergy life!

imOCD4a_prius likes this.
  4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 5 2006, 07:22 AM) [snapback]250187[/snapback]</div>
    I did an online check for Schuck's Auto Supply and they list two verisons of the cabin air filter.

The first is $17.99 and the 2nd is $48.99. Both have a 30 day free replacement and 30 month pro-rated replacement. I can't imagine why the second (a Purolator) would be so much more expensive. I seem to recall that the dealer charged about $40 to replace mine at around 15 K miles.

I was on the road when I had the 30 K service and it got replaced then (just last week), but from now on I'll do my own. I did the ICE air filter myself and it was no problem.

Dave M.

5. DieselConvert

DieselConvert Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 6 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]250812[/snapback]</div>
    The second day after taking delivery of my 06 (two months ago), I noticed a louver broken out of the circular vent on top of the dashboard. The Service Manager of the local Toyota dealer looked at it yesterday, after I noticed about a teaspoonful of gray foam particles from 1/64" to 1/8" "diameter" scattered around the opposite side on top of the dash. When I asked him whether the 2 phenomena were related, he answered: "Mouse. They are quite common around here - they seem to like to chew on plastic. Set a baited trap on the dash for several nights."

I had guessed that the foam particles came from a coarse air filter, probably in the interior ventilation system, but find that the airconditioning filter isn't composed of foam. Attached photo shows denser plastic particles of the same range of sizes under the chewed vent, that were not evident upon unilluminated visual inspection. Any guesses as to the source and effect of foam chewing?

[attachmentid=4942]

Attached Files:

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordewred the air filters from autohauz and went to install one in my '05 Prius and noticed that it is slightly different.

On my stock filter there are small notches in the plastic of the filter to allow it to fit into the airbox. The new filters didnt have that so I simply cut notches with a Dremel. Took less than a minute including getting the tool and plugging it in so its no major issue but for those with NO tools it could be a problem. Just wanted to make people aware.

AvTech72 likes this.
  7. c4

c4 Active Member

All the doors and flaps in the ventilation system are covered with the gray foam, probably to keep things quiet as possible.. Many of the duct "gaskets" are also made of this foam.. Worst case, your ventilation system develops some leaks at the joints and is no longer as quiet as it was, but I'd worry more about mouse turds inside the vents on the downstream side of the filter as this stuff will eventually get blown into the air for you to breath.. Can you say "hantavirus"??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DieselConvert @ Sep 9 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]317151[/snapback]</div>

8. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a question, I dont think our filters are carbon filters, so i was just wondering if its possible to order ones that are, i just dont like the smell of car exhaust coming into the cabin, Or is this just a feature that Audi like to use?

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Feb 5 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]385485[/snapback]</div>
    You could probably buy some carbon filters and cut them to size, but I don't know of any available that are custom made for the Prius.

But, you're smelling exhaust in the cabin?! If so you need to have the vehicle inspected by your dealer. First of all the Prius makes almost no measurable exhaust, when running, compared to similar vehicles. When you're stopped the ICE should shut off...thus no exhaust.

Or are you talking about exhaust from the other cars on the road?

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a big problem with all the stinky trucks driven here in Orygun. I usually have the outside air vent closed unless I'm on a rural road by myself. I also went to the home building supply store and bought a universal carbon filter for room air filters. It's a long wide roll of foam with carbon in it that can be cut with a scissors to fit above the cabin filter. Since it sits on top, it catches the larger chunks too, so the micron filter doesn't clog so easily. It seems to make the air fresher, whether the exhaust is from the outside or inside...

11. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology AWD-e
    Where is the cabin filter? I have a 2005 Prius. I looked in the glovebox and couldn't find it.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sistersinhim @ Feb 6 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]385990[/snapback]</div>
    There's instructions here somewhere. Remove the lower glovebox, and it's in that white plastic housing.

13. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TomorrowMatters @ Feb 5 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]385485[/snapback]</div>
    Its the other vehicles exhaust, In pueblo we dont have emissions requirements! so these idiots that let their cars go to crap are stinking up not to mention polluting the town.I was just curious, I think i might take a look at the filter and see what i can come up with, thanks guys

14. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    Just checked mine--had not ben done "in awhile". There was a LOT of stuff/dirt. Cleaned, then washed and dried. Really is very easy. Looked at the direction on 1701.
    Will NOT wait so long again.
    Carl

15. Charley

Charley Junior Member

I ordered both air filters from my local Oreilly auto parts store today. The engine filter, made by WIX, #49116, is $14.99; the cabin filter, an Oreilly house brand, #3962, is $7.99. Figured I'd take a chance on the house brand, see how it looks. Both to be delivered overnight, no shipping charge.

As far as "genuine Toyota parts" goes, I have bought six oil filters from my Toyota dealer, in lots of two. Each pair of filters was made by vendors other than Toyota. The one that's on the engine right now was made in Thailand!

Look those "Toyota Genuine parts" boxes over carefully and I'll bet you'll find out they came from "brand X".

CR

16. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charley @ Apr 30 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]432558[/snapback]</div>
    Charley, I bet the interior pleat design of the oil filters is the same – Toyota's design. It doesn't matter too much in which country they were made, as long as they meet factory specifications. That's what buying Toyota buys you.

17. Charley

Charley Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 1 2007, 12:57 AM) [snapback]433084[/snapback]</div>
    Bill, you have faith don't you. What Toyota does is buy from the low bidder on minimum specifications. That's business. As consumers we're dependent on each of those bidder's QC program. That's reality.

As for me: if I can buy a quality US-made filter, such as WIX, instead of one from a foreign country, that's where my bucks are going. I'll still have to see where the Oreilly cabin filter came from and how it seems to be quality-wise.

Regards,

CR

18. Charley

Charley Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charley @ May 1 2007, 06:57 AM) [snapback]433135[/snapback]</div>
    Well forget the above. Those two filters were made in Korea & China. So much for buying American.

CR

19. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Every Toyota dealer I've been to, usually back in the parts department, has a cutaway of the Toyota oil filter and a "standard" accordian pleat filter. Take a look sometime. They are quite proud of their design.

Buy quality, it will bring the competitor's quality up too. Value and cost are connected, but not too tightly. The automobile business, more than many others, is a globally sourced operation.

20. Charley

Charley Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ May 2 2007, 02:15 AM) [snapback]433798[/snapback]</div>
    In my years as a pro mechanic I've seen lots of those cutaways. They're not limited to Toyota shops.

I guess you're not aware that WIX filters are highly regarded in the automotive industry. They used to be made in the USA. I hope quality hasn't been compromised by moving their manufacture offshore. Got to look into that. Got to do a new Google on oil filter studies.

CR