1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check your Cabin Air Filter Today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, May 5, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Re: Check your Cabin Air Filter Today!

dont need to run A/C for the filter to be working. same one used for heat as well.
    what i do, bite the bullet, buy one. then wash the dirty one. swap them back and forth. not sure how effective this is or how many times it can be done, but no matter how you do it, it still filters the large pieces out like dust and stuff. (wish it would filter diesel!!)

2. Greener Driving

Greener Driving Greener Driving

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I purchased both filters at "Import Parts Center" in Medford, Oregon. I'm sure they will probably ship, their number is 541 773-4240. And, since there's no sales tax in Oregon you can save a little there too.

Cabin Filter $8.00
    Air Filter $12.50

Tracy :)

3. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you.

4. brighamwj

brighamwj Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Vacumed mine out yesterday. Just dust, leaves, pollen, and other organics. No stink.

You saved me $20 for several thousand miles. I imagine there is micro dust reducing efficiency so maybe when I do my DIY 30K service I will get a clean new filter (or not).

Don't see any reason in replacing it after 25K. I was going to just go buy one, which I would have done if there had been mice nesting in it.

Fresh and clean as a whistle.

Thank you for the information.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Cabin Filter Buyer Be Aware!

I'm a little concerned about their attention to detail. On the page with the cabin filter, they show a picture labeled as "The 2004 TOYOTA PRIUS". Only 1 problem: it is a 2001-2003 model.

The
    after market filter (TYC) is priced at $3.90, I didn't check shipping costs. At that price I have to wonder is quality lacking in the TYC or is the OEM WAY overpriced??

6. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have always been disgusted with the filter on the Prius. I know that it is ridiculous to some, considering the ambient air is perfectly fine. I don't wear a gas mask when I mow the lawn! However, I just can't help noticing the difference between my other automobile's air filters (which appear to be hepa, or near-hepa quality) and the prius air filter, which you can see through! I finally got around to researching the filter, and other options. I thank you guys for the info on the Bosch P3785, and the Fram CF9846A. I looked at them both, and I believe that the Fram will be the way to go. I get sick and tired of smelling exhaust of the car, truck, or tractor in front of me. I know that we can breathe outside air, even dust healthily. What really freaks me out is when I drive by a field and the farmers are soaking their plants in pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. I know most is contained in the ground, but anhydrous ammonia also worries me. Anyways, I also notice a huge difference in how much dust accumulates in the prius compared to our other vehicles. This was a good thread, thanks for all the advice and discussion everyone.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today was carwash/wax, oil change, air filter... and the cabin filter was filthy!
    I just ordered two Bosch P3785 from Rock Auto.

Thanks to whomever mentioned that one :)

8. REMPIE

REMPIE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    after reading issues on priuschat,i decided to join.i work in a parts room @ a toyota dealership.price & quality seem to work.do u want toyota products on your prius?
    i also have joined ebay with our dealership.Wow,didn't realize how many toyota people i was going to be helping.selling on ebay has got through the roof!!
    selling Maintenance items are a big deal.questions on savings [email protected].

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I did my oil and filters (oil, intake, cabin) last weekend as the car got close to 30K miles. The intake air filter did not show any glow through when placed up to the sun. That is about the worse I have seen on any of my personal cars. The local air quality must be getting really really bad. Or that is a very fine filtering filter.

10. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We just did Rudy's 20k maintenance... changed the cabin a/c filter, using the Bosch P3785 that someone mentioned here... wow, that's a quality filter! Looks much more "filterish" than the OEM.
    Also changed out the air filter (DH got a FRAM, it looked to be okay), and did the oil change (Bosch oil filter) with Mobil 1 5/30w.

He thinks he's a new car! :D

11. la cucaracha

la cucaracha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I checked mine today at less than 2500 miles and was surprised at:

1. How dirty it was.
    2. What a crapy filter it is.
    3. How easy it is to check/change. Less than 5 minutes.

I am now looking for an alternative to the OEM. Does anyone have a lead on a good one that fits a 2008 and can be obtained on line?

12. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    See my post above yours. I got mine at RockAuto online.

13. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I got a couple of Frams from Amazon.com, and shipping was free. That trumped everyone else's prices! The Bosch might use denser material (not sure about that), but the Fram includes activated charcoal, which should reduce odor ingestion. Still waiting for an especially smelly diesel bus or truck to verify this, but so far, so good.

14. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I did exactly the same thing. I also tend to keep the a/c on "recirculate mode." At least, right now while I can get away with it. I have noticed a huge difference in the filtering capability of the FRAM vs the Toyota filter. I imagine the Bosch is just as good too, but I will try that next.

15. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I think I'm prepared to state that the Fram doesn't completely eliminate noxious odors, but it seems to help. When following a particularly nasty gross polluter, I can still smell the fumes, but with the windows rolled down, it's even worse. Of course, it can do nothing about high levels of CO.

BTW, the Fram filter weighs in at 3.7 ounces, vs. the Toyota filter's .7 ounces. Priced by the pound, that makes the Fram a bargain, assuming the additional content makes a difference. I think it's mostly the charcoal.

One other issue it's not going to help with is any mold which might have been created around the evaporator--evidently a common occurrence. I've tried to develop the habit of turning off the A/C a few minutes before arriving at my destination. Some Volvos evidently have a firmware rule which runs the cabin fan for a few minutes after engine shutdown if the A/C was in operation, simply to help prevent mold.

I think for healthy cabin air we need to manage both internal and external sources of pollution.

16. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Changed both filters today at 15,795 miles. Both were necessary changes.

17. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Thanks to all who suggested this. I hadn't thought whether or not the filter was washable! They are $19+ (10% discount on parts since we bought a car at the dealer) plus tax and as many have said, not exactly a real high end product. I tried to find the Fram and Bosch, but no one stocks them locally and I wanted to look before I lept. I really want something that will filter pollen and diesel (and skunk if possible !!)

I bought two new ones this week, put them in the cars and washed the old ones. As Dave said, you can hardly tell the washed from the new. You all just saved me a bunch of money since it looks like they should be washable at least several times. If I can wash them 5 times, I've saved $100/car. Plus, I'm more likely to change them quicker if I know it isn't going to cost $20+.

18. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Re: Check your Cabin Air Filter Today! Slight mod of instructions

I changed mine in less than two minutes with the instructions on page 1. However you do not need to lower the glove box all the way and stress the hinges. I pushed in both side and removed the damper. I then supported the drawer on my knee and pulled the filter. No need to worry about lining up the hinges.

19. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unbelievable! Changing the cabin air filter was as easy as wiping a baby's behind! (which I do for a living!). The engine air filter was even easier. Both showed evidence that I had unwanted visitors there, so they needed to be changed as oppose to being just washed. It was time, the car has almost 30K miles on it. I bought both (cabin and engine air filters) at the dealer, paid top dollar, of course, yet I saved a lot of money, time and travel by doing it myself. Next time, I will shop around for parts. Anyone can changed these filters, its so easy! And I agree....no need to lower the glove box all the way.

20. snowbird

snowbird Junior Member

OK dumb question - I've downloaded the instruction for the cabin filter and I'll do that. Where is the engine filter - or will that be obvious and easy to change without special instuctions? (Its dark out so I won't just run out and look.)