1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Check your Cabin Air Filter Today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, May 5, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: Check your Cabin Air Filter Today!

It's very easy to find. As you open the hood, it's toward the left side of the engine compartment at the top of the engine. It has a rectangular black plastic cover, maybe 6" x 8" (+/-), secured with several quick-release clips.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

After you've figured out how to access the engine air filter, note that the dirty side (for 2G) is on the bottom. Remove the filter and hold it up to the sun. If you can see light passing through, then you can continue using the filter. If the filter is dark, then it needs to be changed.

When reinstalling the 2G filter, make sure that the dirty side is on the bottom and that the rubber gasket is in place.

3. snowbird

snowbird Junior Member

Thanks you for the tip about the engine filter. Now - I find Autozone doesn't carry the Bosch cabin filter in stock. I found a better price online anyway - but for a 2001 or 2004 Prius. Would there be a difference in cabin filter size for those years? I have a 2006 Prius.

4. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

The filter for 2004 will fit your car; it's the same filter from 2004 to the current model.

FYI, I've gotten mine up 'til now from Metro for $12 plus shipping (ordering multiple engine, cabin, and oil filters [with drain plug washers included] at once to reduce per-item shipping.) Is your source's price any better?

5. eprupis

eprupis New Member

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to car maintenance and I let the dealer do everything for me. After reading these posts, I screwed up my courage, bought an engine and a cabin filter and followed the verbal and picture directions contained in this forum. It took me all of 5 minutes to do both! Needless to say that's a lot cheaper than the dealer's rediculous charges for the filters and their installation. Thank you posters!

6. jeffepops

jeffepops New Member

It took me less than 3 minutes to change my filter (first time), including emptying out my glove compartment. I waited two years -- I will likely do it more frequently, as the filter was filthy.

I got mine on eBay -- just under $22.00 including CA sales tax and shipping. It's a genuine Toyota filter -- you can buy knock-offs for much cheaper.

Why anyone would pay a dealer $70.00 to perform this job is beyond me. Changing the cabin filter is quicker and easier than adding windshield wiper fluid or putting air in your tires.

7. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am a big fan of ordering car parts online. It saves the time and gas of driving around town to get the parts, plus the stores often dont have what I want in stock. I also do not think that the Toyota brand filters are the best quality, especially the cabin air filter is really cheap. I really liked the Fram cabin filter. I buy my parts from Rockauto.com. I usually buy a set or two of wiper blades along with the cabin and intake air filter.

Here is a link to my Fram vs OEM filter comparison page.

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-maintenance-troubleshooting/45029-fram-vs-oem-cabin-air-filter.html

The fram web site still seems to be screwed up with the cabin filter part numbers, but I installed the CF10132 and it fits perfectly.

8. [H]ackerK

[H]ackerK Geek

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just wondering if it worth to buy K&N filter for prius. No, I don't believe is more HP, just the fact I can clean them and re-use them. Would it be cheaper for the long run?

I did have a K&N filter for my previous car and I still have the 'cleaning kit'

9. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i called toyota because my a/c was giving me a moldy smell. the service rep said they would replace the cabin air filter, believing it to be the cause. in anyones expereince, have you found that this is true? they wanted $69 (!??!) to do it. seems like an easy diy project.

10. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

You are absolutely correct that it is an easy DIY task. Two minutes, no tools. There is no reason to pay the dealer anything beyond the cost of the part. And you probably can find that online for considerably less than most dealers charge -- Metro, for example.

As for whether it solves the smell, I can't speak to that. Others have reported a moldy smell, but I haven't paid close attention to those threads because I haven't experienced it. Do a good search with the terms AC (and its variants), mold, and smell.

11. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My local Walmart doesn't stock cabin air filters, so I just ordered some from Amazon. I went with the Fram CF10132 recommended by several folks, as I like the idea of the carbon and baking soda. They are $14.53, and if you buy 2 you get free shipping and no sales tax. http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0010E1LYY?tag=priuschatcom-20 auto at $11.93 seemed like a better deal until you add shipping in. That makes it $19.48 for 1, or $31.41 ($15.71 ea) for 2. You'd have to buy 3 or more to do better than Amazon.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Rob

12. doobrd

doobrd New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Thanks for the info about a cabin filter. I didn't even know there was one. Yikes, our Prius is over 4 years old with 86k miles so I'm sure it needs a new one - yesterday.....

13. dapunkster

dapunkster New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I replaced mine last night. Cost me $19.99 @ my local Kragen Auto Parts. My old one was pretty disgusting.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Wash the old one in the kitchen sink with Woolite. Rinse and let dry and you have a replacement for the one you just put in. You'll change it more frequently if the only cost is a couple drops of Woolite and a few minutes of your time.

15. jtlytle

jtlytle Caution: Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Thanks to John1701A's website, I discovered about Cabin A/C Filter and I checked.

Holy cow! :eek:

It hasn't changed for maybe 5 years! I bought my car last December 2008. It was so dirty, and covered with small leaves!
    I just use my shop vac to clean it out for now and will buy one next time I'm at Toyota for oil changes.

16. Ytsejamer1

Ytsejamer1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was just taking a look on Ebay Motors and found some cabin filters for $6.99 plus $4.99 shipping. Not too bad I think...

Wait a sec... Which Fresh Breeze filter fits a 2006 Prius? I see people using three different cabin air filters. Which is it? CF10132, CF9846A, or....or what? *Bruce Campbell voice*

17. TidelandProud

TidelandProud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I have the same question. According to Fram's site, CF 10132 is for the Avalon, Camry and Solara while CF 9846 is for the Celica and Prius (2001-09). However, from the one site that I was able to find with product dimensions, both seem too big for my car. I've measured the slot available as 8.5" square. Autopartswarehouse.com gives the CF 9846 dimensions as 9.06"X.95"X9.88", CF 10132 as 8.75"X.91"X8.98". Should I not be taking the dimensions so literally? I've tried calling Fram but continue to get the "no one is available to answer your call" automated response.

18. TreffEdwards

TreffEdwards Hybrid Family

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV

So read the posts and thought... Well Wth I might aswel check mine since I havent owned the car but 4 or so months.. WOW It was disgusting! Not to mention that is not even close to being the right size.! So amazon w/prime will have me a new one in 2 days :) cleaned out the old one just because I am running the air on occasion. Here is a pic I took of it.. LOL

Attached Files:

19. TidelandProud

TidelandProud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Thanks to the fantastic direction here, I was able to change both filters. Ordered parts from RockAuto (cabin air filter by Wix #24875 and air filter by Fram #CA10159) Wednesday and received them Friday. The prices were good; the web site is a breeze to navigate. The old cabin filter, which I had the dealer change about a year ago, was still relatively clean while the air filter, an original, was filthy. I will try to launder the former for reuse, as some have suggested here. Replacing the air filter was more straightforward for this novice. Having dislodged the glove box to reach the cabin filter, I can’t now get the box to close unless it’s unhooked from the damper and the damper is hanging loose. I’m experiencing some memory lapse on proper placement of the damper and how it should function with the glove box. Well, a problem for another day …

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

John's site has excellent instructions on how to change the cabin air filter. A very similar procedure is used to change the cabin air filter on my FJ, including the same little spring loaded damper thing

You may not have the claws on the glove box properly engaged into the dash. I'd just remove the glove box to verify this, and try to put it in again

If the glove box is full of stuff, that can also make installation difficult.