1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 69shovlhed, Sep 30, 2014.

1. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yesterday I saw something very sad. an '08 pine mica base model came in the shop. it was a "no start". efi fuse was removed and system battery dead. so I replaced the fuse and hooked up a jump box. dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but never mind that-- when I stuck it in gear and pushed the gas, the ICE fired up on 3 cylinders and was knocking loud. put it on the lift and (this is the sad part) #3 connecting rod had broken in half, broke the upper oil pan, and the block. I could see the piston jammed kinda sideways at the top of the bore. not much left of that engine. the oil which dripped out of the broken motor was jet black like it hadn't been changed in a long while. wouldn't have surprised me if it had been run too low on oil, but since the pan and block were busted wide open, no way to know.

moral of this sad tale is: check your oil every 1000 miles at least, get it changed promptly when the maintenance light comes on, and use good oil and filters. places like jiffy lube use the cheapest crap they can to maximize profits, and they don't care about your car. some of the quick lube stores won't even change your oil, they just screw a new filter on and top the oil off. some jiffy lube franchises got in big trouble a few years back for pulling this scam. if you really aren't capable of DIY, find someone who you can trust to make sure this gets done right. your ICE should last 300k or more cause it only runs half as much as a normal cars engine.
    I don't care if you blow up your BMW (in fact I hope it blows up-- I hate BMW's) but I don't ever want to see the inside of a broken prius motor again!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not mine, but I'll check my oil.
    Was in Sterling today tell me a little about the shop do they work on Prii?

3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    checking oil and fluids regularly is a good idea. taking cheap shots at all oil change places not a good idea -- only makes people put off getting their oil changed.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OP is just stating what, arguably, most of us know and hear. I am still amazed that the chain quick lube places still push 3K mile oil change intervals. And if they could, they would upsell you a transmission.

#4 exstudent, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting...how about some photos?

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    similar problem.

#6 valde3, Oct 1, 2014
  7. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just make a habit of checking your oil every time you fill up. It takes second, and the ICE's design allows for accurate oil readings almost immediately after shutting it off. I have a 4th gen Maxima that uses the dip stick passage as main oil return journal so that car has to sit awhile until everything drains back.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $600 for a motor from a donor car, and a fair labor rate for the swap and this puppy will be good for another 100,000 miles. :)

I'm surprised that Toyota hasn't increased the sump capacity by now. If they're not careful they're going to lose some of their bullet resistant dependability cache. I'm seeing a lot of posts from secondhand owners whose Priuses are "suddenly" developing a drinking problem.

I'm not a big fan of the Qwik-Lube places........but I'm also not a single parent with three crumb-snatchers.
    Car maintenance (not to be confused with car repair) is very simple but some people do not have the time, or the place to swing wrenches on their cars.
    Having said all of that, I've seen Toyota dealerships engage in their share of scams as well, and this is the year 2014. Jiffy lubes may use cut rate filters, and bulk oil but the oil is generally new since it's just too easy to tell the difference and they're not going to get their franchise pulled over $30 worth of oil.

Daves09prius likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Having a significant other can help with car maintenance. You say something like "ok, I'm ready to go, I'll wait for you in the garage", head in there, open the garage door, check Reddit, straighten out the lawn mower, the tools..., might as well check the oil, it'll be a while.

Daves09prius and krmcg like this.
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After all that, the man finally emerges from inside the house and is ready to go

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I work for a place that auctions cars, so no. but I do side work and I've been a tech for 30+ years. pm me if you need something.

12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    not a cheap shot, just the facts. I'm not saying they all suck, but they do use cheapest filters and oil they can get. I use only mobil 1, but that's cause for most of the last 8 years I've had a prius I worked in a benz dealer and got my oil free. now I got to pay for it but I still use mobil 1. kinda irks me cause I despise exxon mobil corp.

Daves09prius likes this.
  13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    no photos, I didn't have time for that, but if (and I really hope so) the company that owns the car wants me to replace the engine, I will take pix.

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And yet again you strongly imply that you know, for an absolute fact, that ALL quick oil change places do illegal, bad work, using incorrect oil, and incorrect filters. You are actually suggesting that only a Mercedes mechanic could possibly do the best work on a Toyota Prius. Are you reading what you are writing before you post? I like taking my car to a Toyota dealer for expertise in oil changes and their official 22 point checkup, but they still overfill the oil!!! I wouldn't suggest anyone trust their Prius with any elitist, differently trained Mercedes employee.

#14 kenoarto, Oct 1, 2014
  15. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    don't put words in my mouth, dude. I didn't imply anything. re-read my post and then you should proof read yours. what, do you work for jiffy spooge? or do you want to pretend these corporate franchises use top quality filters and oil even though it would lower profit? have you ever been under a car? do you even own tools? ever been ASE certified? I've been wrenching for 30+ years. my advice is based on experience. I give it freely, and you whine.

16. exmetrodriver

exmetrodriver Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had too many over fills at Oil/lube places in the past. I figure the only way to know it was done right is to do it myself. Been changing my own oil on all three vehicles for the last 10 years and I plan to continue till I cant drive any longer.

17. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The particular NTB franchise near me is very good. I watch out the windows as they do oil, lube, and rotation... Got a flat fixed for free Tuesday. YMMV, not all franchises are equally well employed. Just find a place that's got decent people in it.

kenoarto likes this.
  18. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [QUOTE="places like jiffy lube use the cheapest crap they can to maximize profits, and they don't care about your car. some of the quick lube stores won't even change your oil, they just screw a new filter on and top the oil off." [/QUOTE]
    Your words! And they are probably libelous! You started out with a blanket statement about ALL fast oil change businesses. NO ONE would be surprised to hear about a few snooty, Mercedes grease monkeys having committed the same crimes, from time to time. Is this, perhaps, the pot calling the kettle black?

19. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    do you know what the word "some" means? its in there. and if you were to look on the shelves where these quick lube places keep their filters, you will find generic bulk bought cheapo filters, not brand name filters.

I'm sure MB aftermarket shops may use non oem oil filters, but dealerships use only MB approved fleece filters. and since competition is fierce with benz dealers, if a tech gets caught stealing from a customer, they will be fired. the dealers know they must protect their reputation, and they don't take anything which could jeopardize it lightly.

as far as side work goes, yes there are thief techs even at the benz dealer that will screw their customers, but I usually take my non MB side customers to the parts store and have them buy the parts so they know what their getting. and I do recommend mobil 1 because I trust it even though as I said I despise exxon mobil corp. MB side customers get all parts from the dealer I used to work at cause they give me wholesale prices. and Benzes even have a sticker under the hood recommending mobil 1. so that's the only thing i'll put in a benz.

bout 13 years ago, before MB decided to use only synthetic oil, the v6 and v8 engines they were using at the time, some of them were coming into the shop with oil consumption complaints. some folks were opting for conventional oil because its cheaper and MB didn't say not to use conventional oil. well those engines were getting scored cylinder walls, and so we were replacing the engine blocks under warranty, because the cylinder walls were silicon impregnated aluminum-- no iron sleeves like most aluminum blocks have-- and they can't be bored or honed. MB did some research and found that synthetic oil prevented this problem. I was worried that we were gonna have to rebuild every damn one of those engines, but once they switched to synthetic, the problem went away. I've been sold on mobil 1 ever since.

btw, I've only met 1 "snooty" benz tech, all the rest of em were blue collar guys and gear heads.

so, why are you defending the quick lube industry anyway? got stock in jiffy lube?

Daves09prius likes this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Once in a while I'll take it into Jiffy. I stop by Walmart and buy there 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5-30 for $24.95. Then I grab one of the oem filters I bought last time at the dealer $4.00.
    At Jiffy they take my stuff and I stand right there while there doing it.

Guy says to me it takes 5 quarts and I say that's great your going to put in 3 and a half.
    5 minutes later its $19.99 and out I go.

#20 edthefox5, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014