1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 69shovlhed, Sep 30, 2014.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No it does not. This engine like most modern cars has an oil driven VVT system with its own separate filter. A significant amount of oil (almost a quarter of an inch on the ds) is in that system after you shut off the car. It takes quite a while for it to drain back.

The only true level check is first thing in the morning before you start the car. Check it every time you stop for gas doesn't hurt but then check it in the morning and you'll see the difference.

2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK then! Prius owners should ignore their specially trained Prius Toyota techs and rely on the opinions of a high priced Mercedes mechanic who thinks expensive engine oil can fix major engine problems (that were actually solved via engineering changes)! No matter what, avoid the convenience available at quick oil professionals, because they are all out to get you! Prius owners must do their own service or risk immediate catastrophic engine failure! And oh, by the way Miracle Mercedes Man does "work on the side".

Seriously, do check your oil. Here's some interesting reading about the common myths:
    Motor Oil Myths and Facts 3000 Mile Myth

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there's no "specially trained Toyota techs" at jiffy lube, but you will find some high school drop outs. you are really a clown, pal. did you read your own link which itemizes some of the points I was trying to make when I started this thread? ie. bulk oil and low quality filters, unqualified "technicians", if you can call an oil changer a technician.

you don't want to believe me, but you must believe the jiffy lube commercial talking about their "highly trained technicians". if they were even highly trainable, they'd not be changing oil for 8 bucks an hour would they.

and, bozo, MB didn't go back and retrofit some "engineering changes" on all the engines in service before they specified Mobil 1. but don't take my word for it, go ask at your local MB dealer if they made any "engineering changes" at all on the 112 v6 and 113 v8 engines at the time when they specified mobil 1. then after you find out I'm stating facts, you can apologize for attacking me and being childish, when all I wanted to do was remind folks to take good care of their prius engine.

btw, do you even own a prius?

4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Site clearly states that bulk filters and bulk oil are made by manufacturers such as Shell, Quaker State, Valvoline and Fram. The site specifically points out that less expensive DOES NOT mean lower quality. Do you think Mercede$ and Roll$ Royce or Toyota actually make their own filters and drill for their own oil? Only a class snob would suggest that the most expensive is always the best. Do Mercedes employees need to graduate from college? Come on down off your high class horse, dude. Prius owners shouldn't be paying a Mercedes mechanic's prices for a simple oil change. Check your oil often is good advice. Wasting time, money and angst is bad advice.

5. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    not college, MB has training centers all over the world, as well as online training. I'm not claiming to be a genius, but most of the techs in the MB dealers are very smart guys, that can't be said about most aftermarket techs. I've met only a few guys in the aftermarket that could cut it in an MB dealer. benz's are way over complicated-- a lot of aftermarket guys won't work on them.

I didn't say most expensive is always the best, but cheapest is definitely not gonna be the best either. if you want to use bulk oil and no name filters in your car, installed by a drop-out, go right ahead. see you on the side of the road.

angst? are you still angry?

6. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic blend or full synthetic? Your cost all-in for that scenario ($49) is similar to synthetic blend oil change costs around here (usually ~$45) and full synthetic changes with a good coupon ($50-55). That and they'll fill my washer fluid and eyeball my suspension for me. October to April it's a great deal here (I lack a garage) and it's not a bad one even when it's warm.

P.S. Do they replace the crush washer on the drain plug?

kenoarto likes this.
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So now it's confirmed that Mercedes techs are smart high school dropouts who cheat and steal from their customers just like Quicky Lube techs. I'm shocked, SHOCKED! And we have proven the fact that oil and filters sold at less expensive places are the same as "brand name", (because they are usually made by the very same brand names). Some good advice was given here early: check and change oil regularly (but don't worry about the questionable hype coming from the oil companies and employees of snobby car dealers). Throwing extra money at the most expensive stuff will make little, if any difference ... using expensive additives may, in fact, void Toyota warranties.

#27 kenoarto, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    ken, say hello for me to your co-workers at the jiffy lube, will ya...

9. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, this thread seems to contain a lot of needless b0ll0x.

Check your oil regularly - I check mine every week, in the morning when car has sat overnight

Buy decent oil and change it regularly. I change mine,in any car I've owned, every 10k miles . Same with the filter, change at same time

That's it, job done

edthefox5 and kenoarto like this.
  11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oil discussions almost always get out of hand...on every car forum. It's just a given the 6 inch rulers are coming out.

Tony D and kenoarto like this.
  12. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you sure like to blow stuff out of proportion. I have a strong bias for DIY, but some folks don't or can't. if you trust your quick lube, that's great; I'm sure some are good and honest. despite your erroneous conclusions, I don't charge $189.95 for an oil change, and the dealer I worked at used to get a little more than half that, but with 9 qts. of mobil 1 5w40, an MB approved fleece oil filter, and a complimentary car wash n vacuum, it wasn't a terrible deal for those folks that don't mind paying a little more for dealer service.

you might want to get anger management therapy.

13. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $100 isn't a terrible deal for an oil change? $189 is "a little more"?!? You read it here!

FWIW: Chicagoland Toyota dealers regularly run $15-20 specials. Full price is $29. The 22 point inspection is always included. Free car wash, too.
    Prius owners tend to be smart consumers.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can somebody pass the popcorn........the violent scene with the machine guns is about to come up. We need William Shatner, the priceline negotiator to find the best price ASAP

15. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    OK, I just checked my oil and it was 12 ounces low. Topped it up, thank you very much. No arguments from me ...

16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    apples to oranges, bozo. prius takes what, 3.9 quarts of conventional 5w30 and uses a $5 filter every 5k. a Benz v8 takes 9 qts. of mobil 1 5w40 and a $15 fleece cartridge filter every 10k. you can get a cheaper filter, and when its time to change the oil again, that cheap filter will be collapsed or falling apart, and the cheapo o ring seal might also be leaking oil down the front of your engine. the Toyota dealer here has never offered to wash my car on those occasions where I used it.

you should work for teapartyinfo.org. they like to twist words and facts all out of shape just like you do.

JC, I hope he's not gonna come all the way to VA and shoot at me, though he does seem unbalanced.

krmcg likes this.
  17. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BUZZZZ! Thanks fer playin'.
    Mercedes knowitall isn't aware that the Gen 3 the oil change interval has been upped to 10,000 miles.
    Trolls snooty predictions of doom and gloom has already been totally disproved.
    Still gotta love a snob who thinks other people should spend $200 on a simple oil change!

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    don't really care about the gen3 cause us poor folks can only afford a gen 2. and this is the gen 2 forum. but if you can afford a benz, you can afford $100 for an oil change.

19. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Dude... quit polluting the PriusChat forums. Did you even read his post? He said that most quick-lube places use CHEAP products, not incorrect ones. I can also confirm most quick-lube places use CHEAP oil and CHEAP filters - unless you specifically ask and pay for synthetic oil and bring your own OEM filter. So if and when you go to a quick-lube place, you have to bring your own OEM filter, and select synthetic oil and watch them pour it in, quart by quart. Otherwise you end up with cheap oil from a 50 gallon drum pumped into your car.

Kenoarto, I don't understand what your issue is? If you own and operate a quick-lube place why don't you provide some information and pictures to prove that YOUR shop only uses the most highest quality oil and filter products. It's simple economics, shops use the lowest priced products that customers are willing to accept, and shops charge the highest price that customers are willing to pay. Since most customers who go to quick-lube places don't typically know or care what brand or quality filter and oil goes on and in their car, they are willing to accept anything. They just go to quick-lube places because they know that they need to change the oil periodically and the quick-lube is just that QUICK and convenient. so they blindly trust that the shop has their car's best interest at heart, and trust that the shop will use quality filters and oil (which often they do not because to maximize profits, or sometimes just to break even and stay in business, the shop has to find a way to keep costs low. Using CHEAP filters and oil is one way of keeping costs low).

I love my Prius, and plan to keep it for 500,000 miles. So I'd trust 69shovhed's wisdom.

krmcg, koolingit and uart like this.
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    QUOTE="Is the Mobil 1 5-30 synthetic blend or full synthetic? [/QUOTE]

Mobil 1 is full synthetic. And I get back 1.5 quarts. So after I do it twice I have enough for a third change.

No they do not replace the crush washer.

Jiffy does all the fluids and the tires too. Jiffy sucks but down but here they allow you to stand behind the chain right at the hood of the car. They always say you can sit in the waiting room. I don't bother them I just want to make sure they don't dump the whole bottle in the car. Plus in there records it shows Prius takes 5 quarts. I mark the side of the bottle where 3.5 quarts is too. I'll duke the kid under the car $5 and ask him to check for anything like leaks etc. Once you duke them the entire attitude changes. I don't use them that often. They do have a pretty good check-double check-check process on the dump bolt & oil actually in the engine so.....But I don't let the car out of my sight and they don't drive it in or out.

Takes literally 10 minutes. I will never ever let the dealer do it. They put it up on a rack (Jiffy is drive over tunnel) and then you don't know who is working on your car. I can assure you its not a SAE Trained mechanic. Its an $8 an hour guy. It's just this one guy with the vat oil gun.
    No one is double checking him. Then you get to wait forever in there waiting room. Forget that.

About every 5th oil change I replace the bolt. I think I replaced it twice so far. Sometimes the OEM filter comes with the washer sometimes it doesn't. If its taped on the top of the filter box great. Lots of talk on this forum about the crush washer.