1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 69shovlhed, Sep 30, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did everyone take their meds today?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    apparently not.

it may be possible that a drain plug will seal without the crush washer. I'm not about to try it though...

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One of the rules of steel erection is to put a washer behind the driven component of a bolted connection. Typically it's the nut, sometimes it's the bolt. An example of the latter is where the nut is far side, and tack welded, say to a gusset plate. I'm not an engineer, just a rules-is-rules draftsman, but if I hear something, and it's plausible, and cheap: why question it?

This is similar to the drain bolt: a bolt being driven, in a threaded hole. Couple this with the manufacturer's instruction to use a washer, and replace it with each oil change.

It's too bad you have to scoop a Repair Manual to get this info though. Oil change instruction really should be included in the Owner's Manual. Coming from Honda vehicles, oil change instruction was always included.

This is from the Repair Manual. Pretty cryptic format, but at least the info's there. Some rather confusing instruction about the oil filter housing, the clip and so on. Which you can ignore, just get the O-ring in the right spot, and torque to the spec.

#63 Mendel Leisk, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    frodoz737 likes this.
  4. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Mr. Shovelhead, your '04 had drilled rotors? Aren't they kinda like dingleballs on a Prius with regen braking?

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    exactly. but they were zinc plated, looked much better than the crusty oe's w/180k on em did. if someone made em out of stainless like they do for bikes, I mighta bought em. but I wouldn't have left em on the '04 when I sold it.

Classic_pri likes this.