1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cherry Picking the data

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 16, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ethical journalist report the whole picture and not 'cherry pick' one set of data. Unfortunately Reuters did that in July just for Tesla registrations:

Source 1: Tesla Vehicle Registrations In California Dropped To A Half In Q2: Report

(Reuters) - Tesla Inc’s (TSLA.O) vehicle registrations nearly halved in the U.S. state of California during the second quarter, according to data from Cross-Sell, a marketing research firm that collates title and registration data.

Reading AutoLine.TV's daily report we find the big picture that everyone, not just Tesla owners, are holding back on new purchases:

Source 2: AD #2874 – Nissan Introduces Ariya EV; U.S. Car Market Headed for Deep Trouble; Small Pickup Sales Remain Steady – Autoline Daily

The virus is surging again, and Cox Automotive reports that 71% of consumers are very concerned or extremely concerned about the surge. Deloitte reports that one out of three Americans who are still employed are afraid of losing their jobs. And nearly half of all car owners say they’re going to keep the car they’ve got instead of buying a new one.

I'll try to contact Reuters and suggest their article is misleading because they do not include the whole automotive industry trend. Cherry picking on just one company is journalistic malpractice.

Bob Wilson

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you still like yours as much as you first did? I'm in research mode (1-2 years out) but beginning to get serious.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Even more:
    • replacing OEM wheels and tires, ~$1,000 per pair
      • lighter weight rims
      • lighter weight, low rolling resistance, higher wear rating tires
      • narrower tires
    • tuning for range to compensate for expected battery degradation
      • ~4% first year, expected to be 1% every year after
      • 240 mi stock range -> 232
      • note the current Std Rng Plus Model 3 starts with 250 miles
    • driving in 'chill' mode
      • 1st across the intersection as full power is instantly there
      • reach speed limit 200 yds ahead of the 'herd' for lane choice
    • autopilot
      • cuts long distance driving effort in half
      • makes city and rush hour driving much easier
    • full self driving
      • summon is neat but a work in progress
      • stop light recognition now follows leading car through a green light
      • recognizes STOP and YIELD signs and stops the car yet allows being overridden
      • navigate on autopilot takes exits and interchanges
    The Model Y is a hatchback which is easier to live with than the sedan, Model 3. I would prefer a Model Y but not enough to take a bath trading in our Model 3.

Bob Wilson

hill, San_Carlos_Jeff and Mark57 like this.
  4. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the summary. I've read literally every current and past post on TM Club's site among several others. I drove another owner's sweet Model S and Model 3 recently and was pretty much infected, although the Prime infected me first on all EV and EV acceleration, etc. I don't currently live in an ideal place for a Tesla. Three hours to closest dealer/repair locations among other factors but I'm still very interested. Supercharger network needs to keep expanding as it's very hard to get to some of the locations we regularly travel to without using slow charging along the way. (I'm aware that charging to ~full is not the way to go, just charge to the next charger stop plus a bit method) As I say, a year or two out.

I hoped if Tulsa beat Austin to build the Cybertruck that we'd get a dealership in state. I'm not holding my breath.

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Uhh...this article is analyzing Tesla..is it not? Of course the entire auto industry is suffering...the article doesn't deny that.

In fact, the article says that "The majority of the U.S. was under lockdown in the period between April to June to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which affected both production and auto sales in the country."...so I think they actually do acknowledge the overall slowdown.

I kind of find it amusing when any little tidbit of potentially bad news gets ripped to shreds by Tesla fans. Sorry...had to say it. :whistle:

fotomoto likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We charged at the OKC SuperCharger driving from Dallas to Coffeyville KS. But there is a gap to the East at Fort Smith that needs a SuperCharger.

Bob Wilson

Mark57 likes this.
  7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How much down was the general automarket? 10%, 25%, 50% . . .

I don't mind seeing the drop in Tesla sales as long we also see the drop everyone else had. Fortunately, AutoLine.TV had the number. It was still 'cherry picking' because they omitted the whole market metric.

BTW, the reason why I'm sensitive is two years ago, the SHORTs were lying their *sses off. So I started checking the facts and data only to discover TSLA at ~$300 was too low. I bought stock with half of my 401k and even after profit taking, still have more 'stock' value than what I started with.

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    hill and bisco like this.
  8. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Plans in 2020 for Henryetta, Fort Smith, and Clarksville. I also need the Montrose, CO and Telluride, CO to open. (planned in 2020) These will help considerably.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tesla down 35 points, looks like reuters got what they wanted

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not stating the reason for replacement could also be viewed as selective data. ;)

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    +1

That and the supercharger and other networks aren't built out enough for my travel areas. As a DIY, I'm also not liking their overall position/actions on used vehicles, repairs and parts supply.

Mark57 likes this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    339 miles from the closest supercharge to Oklahoma city - when passing thru Little Rock AR. That's ok, if you have a 400 mile Model S.
    ;)
    Haver you ever seen the arm pit location designated for superchargers in Fort Smith? Sheez - Tesla could have done their self a faver & put it along i40 ... instead of forcing drivers to take a 15 minute detour (each way!) thru a blighted area of Fort Smith.
    Fort Smith.jpg
    I do enjoy americana . . . . but i also like feeling safe, if/when i make a stop around midnight.

#12 hill, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    farmecologist likes this.
  13. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Gee looks like an "interesting" area. :whistle:

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure you would take a bath. Model 3's are holding their value extremely well. Mine has only depreciated a few thousand dollars even though I have over 30k on it.