1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Chevrolet Bolt- 2017 Motor Trend Car of the Year

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ny_rob, Nov 16, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    as long as the tax credits are around, i think it will do a little better. but i would think a larger vehicle or cuv would do better, even with fewer ev miles.

maybe i'm not taking the cali hov lanes into account though. this car might be perfect for many with a long commute?

RCO likes this.
  2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you're inferring that people intent on purchasing an advance tech pure EV will change their minds and instead purchase a stripped down $19K gas econobox?

How would there be a $18k difference between a $27,500 ($37,500 - $7,500 FED Credit - $2,500 State Credit) vehicle and $19K vehicle? My math makes that a $8.5K difference- to go all electric or stay with gas tech.

In Colorado you get a $6,000 EV Tax credit, combine that with the $7,500 Fed credit and the Bolt would be $24,000.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How high does your adjusted gross income have to be to max the tax credit?

Bob Wilson

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't answer that Bob, but when I got the Volt in 2014 I was able to get a check from the Fed for $7,3xxx, so I missed out on about $200 of the Fed tax credit. If there was a NY State EV program at that time... I would have gotten the full $2K back on that.

To maximize my 2017 EV Credits, I'm paying my 2017 property tax in full (about $10K) this December in addition to the second half 2016 property taxes I've already paid in May... so that's about $15K of deductions I'll take in 2016 vs. 2017 when the Bolt purchase will pretty much max out my deductions without help from property taxes, college tuition costs (for two kids), etc...

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am talking about people looking for a good car to meet their needs at a decent price, let's say those roving around auto shows all Winter long like the SF show this weekend. Will they nearly pass out seeing the $37.5k sticker on a Bolt next year?

'Only $8.5k' more? Well, it's still $8.5k more, then more for home charging unit

I'll bet DJT and all will eliminate the fed plug-in tax credit.

Bolt will sell to EV fans, but will be a really tough sell for those used to driving gas cars

side note - I am 'cutting my EV teeth' having purchased a new cordless lawn mower. A start.

#25 cycledrum, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    RCO and bisco like this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    People looking at the first moderately priced 200+ mile BEV aren't looking at $19k econoboxes. Econo shoppers are looking at the lowest price they can find; the car comes second.

Ashlem, RCO and Trollbait like this.
  7. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I read a review I want to see objective factual observations, not opinions that read like an expensive ad campaign. It makes me wonder how accurate the info is or if it was paid for and influenced by the payment.

Not saying anything is wrong with the award or the car, just the presentation and substance.

RCO likes this.
  8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I suspect the COY award comes with some connection to the use of the car for a long term test.

The award values innovation highly and, as you look at past winners, they didn't always turn out to be marketing successes.

RCO likes this.
  9. stephane

stephane Prius v owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Your right Honda fit customer will not buy a Bolt.....but they are not the GM target anyway.
    Bolt is not a Fit....0-60 7 second no engine running complete silent way more equipment no maintenance clean.....those 2 car dont compare not in the same league....
    Pure EV is something different for different people....people dont buy EV to save money they buy it because they want it

UsedToLoveCars and RCO like this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    “Chevrolet has made affordable long-range electric transportation available to the masses. Elon Musk should be afraid. Very, very afraid.”

Hahaha .... hardly. With the looks of Tesla Model 3, Tesla need not fear GM Bolt.

Model 3 | Tesla

And to Stephane above - yeah 0.4% in US buy BEVs and the hybrid, PEV, EV share is under 3% share.

Model 3 a car I might be interested in getting IF under $35k after incentives. Never seen another alt car I'd like and I do look around.

#30 cycledrum, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think Chevrolet totally missed the mark on the appearance of this thing. When you buy a Nissan Leaf it sticks out. People know it's something unusual. Same with the BMW EV. This thing looks basically, essentially similar to a $16k econobox hatchback. I'm talking purely from an aesthetic appearance; I would never buy one. It looks very rinky dink to me.

If Tesla can actually hit the market with a meaningful number of model 3s the model 3 will be a direct competitor to this and, in my view, a far superior vehicle. Relatively similar power and range, but the 3 looks a million times nicer and tesla's autonomous driving is an opportunity to geek out hard.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Classic damned if do, damned if you don't.

Would the camry or rav hybrids sell better or worse if they were styled different from their non-hybrid brothers? Would the Prius sell better/worse if it looked like a Corolla hatch?

Jeff N, Trollbait and RCO like this.
  13. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Worth noting that Motor Trend CotY is an award that's fairly meaningless, and plenty of terrible cars have gotten it in the past.

It'll be interesting to see what better magazines think.

RCO likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    So far, the Bolt is racking up a bunch of awards.

2017 Chevy Bolt's Trophy Case Is Filling Up

It is also one of 3 finalists for the North American Car of the Year award.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/2017-north-american-car-of-the-year-finalists-nactoy-truck-utility-chevy-honda-ford/?client=safari

16. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I personally prefer to have a typical looking car that just happens to have a BEV drivetrain. It's a practical small hatchback wagon. It looks to me like a ~$30k Subaru but with a shorter hood. Or maybe a BMW i3 BEV and a Honda Fit EV hooked up and had a baby. Several car companies make similar models and the designs all pretty much look alike to me. And that's fine.

We're at the stage of the game where I'm just grateful to have a 238-mile BEV in my garage next month that has practical storage and 4+ seats with a few fun techie features for around $40k before credits and rebates.

#36 Jeff N, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Ashlem and Trollbait like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one of the ev websites said it looks like bolt engineers got priority over designers. too practical looking, too utilitarian. alas, if only the same thing had happened to gen 4 prius and prime. tesla may be popular for style, but if bolt is comfier and more cargo space, i know where my money is going.

RCO and Jeff N like this.
  18. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For many folks like myself, the problem with a Tesla is the lack of dealership network. Closest dealer is 2.5 hours away... Just not practical.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

fotomoto and RCO like this.
  19. Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    RCO likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let's keep mind the Bolt's humble beginnings.
    [​IMG]
    Changes to the sheet metal to simply stand out could have ended up adding cost to a car GM is trying to keep reasonable.

Then there was Honda's Insight II, a Jazz/Fit hybrid designed to look different, because that was hybrid buyers supposedly wanted a car that stood out.

RCO likes this.