1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevrolet Commits to Bolt EV Production...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ny_rob, Feb 12, 2015.

1. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Game-changing, long-range EV to be built at Orion Assembly facility in Michigan...

CHICAGO – Chevrolet this morning confirmed production of its next-generation pure electric vehicle, based on the Bolt EV concept. It will be built at General Motors’ Orion Assembly facility near Detroit.
    GM North America President Alan Batey made the announcement ahead of the Chicago Auto Show. The Bolt EV concept was introduced last month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“The message from consumers about the Bolt EV concept was clear and unequivocal: Build it,” said Batey. “We are moving quickly because of its potential to completely shake up the status quo for electric vehicles.”

Leveraging the industry-leading battery technology found in the Chevrolet Volt and Spark EV, the Bolt EV concept was developed as a game-changing, long-range pure electric for all 50 states, designed to offer more than a GM-estimated 200 miles of range at a target price of around $30,000.

The progressively styled concept vehicle features selectable driving modes for preferred driving styles, such as daily commuting, and it was designed to support DC fast charging.

“We’re proud that Chevrolet has decided to produce the Bolt EV here in Michigan at the Orion Assembly facility,” Gov. Rick Snyder said. “Michigan unquestionably remains the global automotive leader. Chevrolet is tapping a skilled workforce that includes some of the most talented and hard-working people in the world for this cutting-edge vehicle. Chevrolet is an important part of our state’s automotive history, and Michigan-made products like the Bolt EV point to a bright future as well.”

Start of production and additional details will be announced later.

$200-million investment

GM’s Orion Assembly, home of the Chevrolet Sonic sub-compact and Buick Verano luxury compact, and Pontiac Metal Center facilities are receiving a $200-million investment to support production of the next-generation electric vehicle. Orion will receive $160 million for tooling and equipment, and Pontiac will receive $40 million for new dies.

“As one of the most environmentally progressive facilities in GM’s global network, Orion Assembly is uniquely suited to build this game-changing electric vehicle,” said Doug Hanly, Orion Assembly and Pontiac Metal Center plant manager. “In partnership with UAW Locals 5960 and 653, we’re committed to building the highest level of quality into it.”

Located approximately 30 miles north of Detroit, Orion Assembly is powered by gas from two nearby landfills, which saves more than 6,300 tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere annually. It is also home to a 350-kilowatt solar array that produces the energy equivalent to power 165 homes and sends enough energy back to the grid to power about 45 homes.

“This is very exciting for our members who were facing the possibility of losing that plant during the auto crisis,” said UAW Vice President Cindy Estrada, director of the union’s GM Department. “Our members are also proud to have their plant chosen to produce what is sure to be another popular and dynamic Chevy product rolling off the line at the Orion Assembly Plant.”

Orion Assembly is the first GM facility to receive the Clean Corporate Citizen designation by the State of Michigan, and the Pontiac plant has earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® Challenge for Industry three times.

#1 ny_rob, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  2. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm really looking forward to seeing if the Bolt EV delivers as promised. 200 mile range at a reasonable price would be a huge achievement.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ At 200+ mi EV range (that's how they're talking now) for $30k it would set the standard for quite a few years to come.
    Very exciting news now that it's actually coming from GM not some blog, inside source, etc..
    And unlike Tesla... this is actually happening!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    let's hope it's not the usual gm hype, it really would be something.

5. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a future Bolt with your name on it bisco... :D

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope so! would be fabulous!(y) any specs available yet? dimensions, pics, spare tyre, whatever?

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The corporate website has the disclaimer "on the concept model" in nearly every mention of a big feature. What will make it past the bean counters into the production model? The futuristic dash? The all glass roof? I highly doubt it. We'll just have to wait (about a year for road mule sightings) and see.

It also states "$30,000 projected price". That's not a promise. Projections typically go up and rarely go down.;)

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Promises.

How is what we're now hearing about Bolt different from the past?

GM hyped Two-Mode for years, attempting to avoid their "over promise, under deliver" reputation by being a little ambiguous. Each announcement was just vague enough to not be something which they could be held accountable for later. We watched the very same thing happen with Volt. Heck, even the term "game changer" is being used again.

What does "to completely shake up the status quo for electric vehicles" mean anyway? Wasn't that the purpose of Volt? Who will Bolt be marketed to?

What should we expect?

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We have now heard where it will be built.

We should, warily, expect about 200 mile range for 30k after rebates.
    Although realistically, I would set expectations at a 150 mile range for 35k (after rebates).

We can also expect it to be available in all 50 states far sooner than Fuel Cell vehicles;-)

I wish we would hear as much about the next gen Prius comming out this year as we have about the Bolt comming out at the end of next year.

wjtracy likes this.
  11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    how could it be cheaper that the current GM plug in with only small fraction of that range (Volt)?
    i smell BS.

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    A. It isn't cheaper. The base price of the Volt is 27.5k after rebates.

B. A pure EV is far simpler than a hybrid. There are savings in not needing a ICE, associated exhaust and environmental systems, etc.

The biggest reason EV's are expensive are the cost of the batteries. The cost/capabilities of batteries are improving every year (about 7-8%).
    The Volt came out in 2010. If the Bolt comes out in 2016, that is 6 years of improvements.
    Of course, if LG made even small breakthroughs, that is even better.

Trollbait likes this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Spark EV starts at $19,185 after the tax credit and before destination and other fees. It has a range of 82 miles on a pack about 5kWh smaller than the Leaf's. The Bolt will be based on the Sonic. It is about $2000 more than the ICE Spark. With crude math, that gives GM about $8000 for a bigger battery pack in the Bolt. There is things like the larger Bolt won't be as efficient as the Spark EV to be considered, but a 150 mile range at $30k should be easy to reach.
    In addition to what Zythryn stated, the Bolt will be on a smaller platform than the Volt. Their ICE platform mates have a $3900 difference starting.

14. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    GM's battery supplier, LG Chem, has been going around loudly proclaiming that 200-mile cars can be built and sold at 30-35k using their new cells which will be available to customers in volume sometime in 2016. They have reportedly been signing aggressively priced (cheap) contracts to build volume and grab a top position among automotive battery makers as part of their long-term business strategy.

Generally, their new cells are known to be thicker so there is more energy and less packaging overhead. They are also using new techniques for controlling the particle sizing of the raw materials. Although this is purely speculative on my part, I wouldn't be surprised if they have found a way to add silicon to the anodes in a way that is cost effective and doesn't hurt cycle life too much. With large 200-mile packs, long cycle life is a little less important than in smaller PHEV packs.

For example, a battery that starts at 200 miles and degrades to 70% or 140 miles over a 200,000 lifetime would only be fully cycled around 1.250 times and many charge cycles would be partial in reality (which is better for battery life) so that would be a worst case scenario. By contrast, I've driven over 66,000 in EV mode on my volt and average about 45 miles per charge. Assuming full charges that would be close to 1,500 full charge cycles already. Many of my actual charge cycles are full or nearly full cycles. If someone drive a Volt and only got the 2011 EPA estimate of 35 miles it would mean even more cycles.

Anyway, it isn't just GM saying this is possible. It is also LG and I think one or two other car makers courted by LG have indicated they think it is also possible in the 2017-2018 timeframe.

15. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    IF...they deliver a vehicle that gets 200 miles fer charge and it actually does cost $30K...I would be interested. However, I will not be an early adapter as GM's track record for mechanical reliability and TCO is horrible on a good day...as opposed to the Prius that is.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they did pretty well with the volt, but the cells weren't bleeding edge new tech.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea...but the price. :rolleyes:

18. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Is identical to the Prius PHEV after the federal tax credit. The Volt is available with a several thousand $$ discount from some dealers. The Prius may be also.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they originally claim a lower volt price?

20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They did well with the Volt, and in the 2013 or '14 Cr big auto guide my Sonic had the same depreciation rate as the Prius.
    They aimed for a lower price.
    The price of batteries have been dropping while improving in performance since 2010. An EV drivetrain is a lot simpler and cheaper in cost than a hybrid electric/ICE one.